Total closet overhaul in mid-twenties = panic attack!

blueeyedgirl

Fashion Addict!
O.G.
May 16, 2008
Hi ladies! My name is Kat, I'm 26 and I hate my clothes. There, I said it. Whew!

I love fashion, but I find myself going towards the "quick fix" of shopping at cheap-o brands like Forever21 and such instead of saving for nice long-term pieces. The result? An entire closet ( and dresser and half my boyfriend's closet) of clothes I am embarrassed to wear.

I've been saving and I'd like to invest in some fairly "timeless" pieces, but I don't know where to go or how to go about it. I need basics like t's and jeans to start, but I'd love some blouses and nice tops as well. I've realized that though I know "big name" brands, I don't know some of the less conventional brands that might be just what I'm looking for.

Could you help by suggesting brands, pieces or websites to help in my search?
For reference, I'm a petite girl: 5 ft tall & 90-something pounds. I like color in my wardrobe but I don't mind neutrals either. I have pale skin, medium brown hair and blue eyes.

Thank you so much!

you can try shopbop.com...just type the stuff like sweater, jeans in the search box and you can see what they have. i wouldn't suggest which brands to go for at this moment...just look at what's out there first before committing to a specific brand.
revolve clothing is another online store like shopbop....
i think these two sites are a good place to start. when you see something you like, put them into your wish list box...so you can always go back and look and think...

Go for luxe versions of your basic pieces - such as instead of a plain tee, get a silk one... Instead of a regular sweater, go for the cashmere version.... Well tailored cuts in good natural fabrics will look so much better and more polished.

For mid-range prices at fairly decent quality, Imho, ann taylor does pretty good pieces for petite wear. You could try j crew too but I find that j crew tends to swamp over me...

I don't know what your style is, but I've never found a web store be as convenient for petites as Modcloth. They have exact measurements for everything so you can always tell. They are on the cheaper side, but they update every day so you can always find something eventually. They're better for dresses than anything else though.

i think every girl should have a wrap dress...it doesn't need to be dvf but something in a plain color that you can dress up or down or a pattern that you know you will love for years

a great white shirt
great dark jeans in a bootcut or since you're small a skinny jean

I was in the same position as you about 8 years ago. I think it's natural to reevaluate and refine your style as you go through different stages in life. I started making a change from cheaper "fad" items to more classic pieces by being much more careful about how I shop. I stopped going to stores that sold cheaply made items, and instead switched to stores that carried clothing of higher-quality fabrics that were made to last. I was surprised to find that stores like Banana Republic and The Limited had great sales and a well-stocked sale rack, so I ended up paying the same as I would have at cheaper stores but got better quality clothing. The last pair of BR jeans I got were $15 (on sale with a coupon). Perpetually shopping on sale means you have to go more often and do a lot of digging, but I've taken to what I like to call "opportunistic shopping": If I see a great item for a great price I will purchase it even if it isn't something I need at the moment. In this way, I have gradually replaced the cheaper clothing in my closet and gained several nice pieces without a lot of major shopping trips, and I also don't run into "nothing to wear" situations that require me to purchase an item full-priced since I already got it when it was on sale.

Take a look at your favorite items now and notice what it is about them that you love: color? style? a specific detail like buttons, ruffles, or zippers? And try to replace these items with ones of better quality. Once you learn what to look for as far as the right fit and fabric, it's easier to expand your search to thrift stores and boutiques without having to focus on brands.

I would recommend doing as much in-person shopping as you can, so you can try things on if a brand is unfamiliar and really make sure it fits you well. Take a friend so you'll have an extra pair of eyes!

Also, my one sale mantra: don't buy it on sale if you wouldn't pay full price for it! I find this keeps me from buying items just because they're a "good deal", as they usually end up sitting in my closet and never getting worn. Don't feel you have to rush the process or overhaul your closet in one day. Take time to really build your wardrobe and find what you like.

Thank you all for your replies!

I've been looking at Wendy's Lookbook for a few months. I love her style! I'm checking out all of the other sites you all suggested. I'm excited about getting new clothes and looking more adult/fashionable but it is a stressful time while I'm "in flux" as it were. :smile:

I was in the same position as you about 8 years ago. I think it's natural to reevaluate and refine your style as you go through different stages in life. I started making a change from cheaper "fad" items to more classic pieces by being much more careful about how I shop. I stopped going to stores that sold cheaply made items, and instead switched to stores that carried clothing of higher-quality fabrics that were made to last. I was surprised to find that stores like Banana Republic and The Limited had great sales and a well-stocked sale rack, so I ended up paying the same as I would have at cheaper stores but got better quality clothing. The last pair of BR jeans I got were $15 (on sale with a coupon). Perpetually shopping on sale means you have to go more often and do a lot of digging, but I've taken to what I like to call "opportunistic shopping": If I see a great item for a great price I will purchase it even if it isn't something I need at the moment. In this way, I have gradually replaced the cheaper clothing in my closet and gained several nice pieces without a lot of major shopping trips, and I also don't run into "nothing to wear" situations that require me to purchase an item full-priced since I already got it when it was on sale.

Take a look at your favorite items now and notice what it is about them that you love: color? style? a specific detail like buttons, ruffles, or zippers? And try to replace these items with ones of better quality. Once you learn what to look for as far as the right fit and fabric, it's easier to expand your search to thrift stores and boutiques without having to focus on brands.

I would recommend doing as much in-person shopping as you can, so you can try things on if a brand is unfamiliar and really make sure it fits you well. Take a friend so you'll have an extra pair of eyes!

Also, my one sale mantra: don't buy it on sale if you wouldn't pay full price for it! I find this keeps me from buying items just because they're a "good deal", as they usually end up sitting in my closet and never getting worn. Don't feel you have to rush the process or overhaul your closet in one day. Take time to really build your wardrobe and find what you like.

i've never looked at it this way....when i come to think of it....i do love my full priced items more. and the sale items that have been on my wish list are also my favourites. great advice!! :tup:

Hi ladies! My name is Kat, I'm 26 and I hate my clothes. There, I said it. Whew!

I love fashion, but I find myself going towards the "quick fix" of shopping at cheap-o brands like Forever21 and such instead of saving for nice long-term pieces. The result? An entire closet ( and dresser and half my boyfriend's closet) of clothes I am embarrassed to wear.

I've been saving and I'd like to invest in some fairly "timeless" pieces, but I don't know where to go or how to go about it. I need basics like t's and jeans to start, but I'd love some blouses and nice tops as well. I've realized that though I know "big name" brands, I don't know some of the less conventional brands that might be just what I'm looking for.

Could you help by suggesting brands, pieces or websites to help in my search?
For reference, I'm a petite girl: 5 ft tall & 90-something pounds. I like color in my wardrobe but I don't mind neutrals either. I have pale skin, medium brown hair and blue eyes.

Thank you so much!

Wow! It's so great to see that there are other people like me out there in the world! haha! I actually started this process last year. I am 27 years old & exactly last year, right around Christmas, I realized that all I had were Forever 21 clothes, Hollister, VANS, and just so much junior looking stuff. I was horrified! The thing is, since I was working at a job where I wore scrubs five days a week, I didn't really need much clothes so I didn't really notice where I was lacking.

Then I started a new job where I needed to wear my regular clothes & realized, "Wow, I don't have many nice clothes. I have a few things, but the rest of my stuff looks fit for a 17 year old, not a girl in her mid/late 20's."

I pretty much started with The Loft (Ann Taylor). It took me some time to get used to the price, as I was used to buying shirts for under $20, but I loved the clothes so much that it was worth it to me to look classy. Plus, I hit up some serious sales! They do have a lot of petite clothing there too.

But slowly but surely I am building up my wardrobe to how I want it & it's getting better. It's been a fun process for me! I am having so much more fun with my style now & buying clothes that still make me look like a young lady, not an old woman, not a teenager, hahaha, does that make sense? :smile:

Sorry I went off on my life story here, it's just amazing to see when other people feel how I do. I really want to expand my wardrobe too.

I've got a similar struggle going on (and I'm almost 26!)--mainly with my casual wardrobe, which is stuck around 2004 while I'm waiting for the whole skinny-jeans-and-leggings thing to die out so I can wear things that flatter my tree-trunk legs again. LOL. (I have a closet full of wideleg dress pants, but I wear those strictly for teaching...I like to save my dressy wardrobe for dressy occasions, you know?) So far, bootcut/flared 7FAM jeans and a Lacoste polo with a layered tank underneath (or a Michael Stars tee) is my casual uniform, but it looks more like wealthy 16-year-old than a nearly 26-year-old...

So, I feel your pain! :S

this is the hardest thing for me...i have just started doing this...i got this dress the other day...simply bc it was like 80% off...from like 1200 bc filene's basement is going out of business...we'll see if i wear it:rolleyes:

but to OP don't fret! i'm 26 and started re-hauling my wardrobe at 25...

I've got a similar struggle going on (and I'm almost 26!)--mainly with my casual wardrobe, which is stuck around 2004 while I'm waiting for the whole skinny-jeans-and-leggings thing to die out so I can wear things that flatter my tree-trunk legs again. LOL. (I have a closet full of wideleg dress pants, but I wear those strictly for teaching...I like to save my dressy wardrobe for dressy occasions, you know?) So far, bootcut/flared 7FAM jeans and a Lacoste polo with a layered tank underneath (or a Michael Stars tee) is my casual uniform, but it looks more like wealthy 16-year-old than a nearly 26-year-old...

So, I feel your pain! :S

wear what you want and what looks good on you! im on the hunt for some bootcut jeans...i have forced myself to stop buying another pair of skinny jeans bc as you said--doesn't work well with tree trunks:lol: we need balance