Tory Burch leather totes: Worth the $500+ ?

Sep 30, 2008
I have never purchased anything from Tory Burch. I have always liked the looks of the leathers bags, but until recently never seen them in person. I saw several of the (new, I think) large totes in person and they looked/felt SO much nicer then I thought they would. I want to buy a new larger size bag in the next two months and cant decide. I really like the Gucci soho medium shoulder bag, but at $1,900 it didnt feel/look THAT much nicer then the Tory Burch bags IMO. However, I would rather pay the $1,900 for the Gucci I know is good quality, than pay $600 for a TB bag that would wear in a few months.

So, what do you think?, here are the TB bags I was looking at, and I will also include a picture of the Gucci.

ht8mtk.jpg

24lklqb.jpg

(In Black)
14czma9.jpg

(Sorry, only picture I could find. Its the large size quilted Marion tote)
2q16o0h.jpg

Last edited:
I think Tory shoes and bags are oversaturated in the market place. While some of the more premier designers may hold their value, I feel Tory items will not. I have noticed the Rack dumping large amounts of shoes and I have to wonder why. Lately, I am not loving my TB items anymore. I think this 'bridge' designer is overpriced for what it is, along with Michael Kors, Rebecca Minkoff and Kate Spade. They are probably all made by the same factory in China anyway :tdown: I don't recall hearing quality accolades with any of these brands.

I don't think any TB bags are worth spending over $500+ on. For a handbag you plan to use often, I would get one with better quality - you'll be happier in the long run. Personally, I like TB handbag styles but have never been pleased with the quality (I only buy her clothing and shoes). If you do decide to buy one of the TB bags, definitely only buy it when it's on sale!

Oh, and if you go to Nordstroms, that bag is 40% off in a few colors-sale starts tomorrow. I think Neimans and Gucci will also have it on sale in select colors in the next wk.

The Gucci bag is 40% off??? Arg. I just spent a bit of money between my boyfriends birthday and fathers day. I wouldn't be able to purchase it for another month or so.

I don't think any TB bags are worth spending over $500+ on. For a handbag you plan to use often, I would get one with better quality - you'll be happier in the long run. Personally, I like TB handbag styles but have never been pleased with the quality (I only buy her clothing and shoes). If you do decide to buy one of the TB bags, definitely only buy it when it's on sale!

Thanks, that was the feeling I was getting from posts I read but I still thought I'd ask. Too bad, nice looking bags. If I ever see one on a really good sale I might buy one. Think for the next bag im getting I might stick with a different brand.

I think Tory shoes and bags are oversaturated in the market place. While some of the more premier designers may hold their value, I feel Tory items will not. I have noticed the Rack dumping large amounts of shoes and I have to wonder why. Lately, I am not loving my TB items anymore. I think this 'bridge' designer is overpriced for what it is, along with Michael Kors, Rebecca Minkoff and Kate Spade. They are probably all made by the same factory in China anyway :tdown: I don't recall hearing quality accolades with any of these brands.

Thanks, I will be looking at other brands for my new bag. I appreciate all the responses!