Top heavy women and crossbody bags. How do you wear them?

I.WANT.IT.ALL

Sep 5, 2010
I love love love crossbody bags. Have been wearing them for almost 15 years. I have always had a small chest. Small B but larger than an A. Well until now, 2 kids later I am a 34DD and hating them. With kids I find wearing crossbody bags very conv. Super easy to run in and out doing quick errands. I've been carrying a diaper bag for the past 4 yrs. So I don't know if I am no longer used to wearing xbody bags or with my larger chest the xbody bags just look awkward. The bags just don't sit right. It just emphasizes my chest even more! I've tried wearing it above my chest but that looks weird too. Is it just me? Should I be avoiding xbody bags now?

I have no idea where this thread belongs. Sorry.

I just want to know how do you wear them? Thanks!

Although everyone deserves to be comfortable, I don't find cross-body bags to be flattering on anyone except the very tall and slim (a category in which I do not belong!). And they tend to be less flattering on larger and/or larger-chested women. It does help, IMO, if the bag is more proportional to the person - in other words, a larger woman wearing a larger cross-body bag as opposed to a tiny one.

My sister, for example, has never carried a large bag. But she is a woman with a larger hourglass shape and tend to wear very small cross-body bags. They just look very disproportional compared to her frame. However, she also frequents fairs and large markets (she specializes in antique glass), so the bags she carries are simply for convenience; she really doesn't much care how they look.

But maybe I am the exception, as cross-body bags seem to be all the rage right now. Every brand has them. So maybe I am the one who is out of synch with fashion and not the cross-body bags!

I like crossbody bags too but have same issue. The only time I can wear them is over a blazer or jacket. It does not look right with T-shirt or blouse. So I carry small top handle or large wristlet on my shoulder to be hands free instead.

I'm a 36DD and I wear crossbody bags all the time. For me the key is to have the bag more in front of me (ie. in front of my left hip) and this prevents the strap from going between the "ladies" emphasizing them more. The strap will stay taut in front and lay flat. The key is having the longer strap which will allow the bag to hang lower and have more give.
I'm a Mom and when I'm going to school, I have to have my hands free. I choose a crossbody over a shoulder bag. It's convenient and comfortable. It's just a matter of finding one that is right for your body type.
I recently invested in the Louis Vuitton Eva Clutch (that doubles as a crossbody) and the bag is smaller in size but I think it still suits me. Check it out in the Louis Vuitton Eva Clutch for plus size on here. It will change your mind about crossbody bags. HTH

I wear loose fitting tops and I think it looks ok.

Lppyramid.jpg

rmrose1.jpg

RMmac.jpg

NA.jpg

I am also a 36DD and wear my Balenciaga Velo all the time, with and without a coat. It is really convenient, especially when I am carting two kids to hockey practice. I do tend to wear less form fitting clothing nowadays such as leggings, sweaters and boots, and I think it looks fine. Perhaps investing in an expensive bag will brainwash you that way! That said, I don't wear it in the summer, as I regard it as a fall/winter bag. I switch to a shoulder bag.

I'm a 36 DDD and I love my crossbody bags and think I look pretty cute in them too!!;) I'm 5"7 so I like to wear the larger ones and I also place them more in the front instead on at the hip.

I'm a 32D/DD (not sure that is really considered 'busty' or 'top heavy'! with a small rib cage...) but I skip them. I'm also short - so I find the MAC (worn crossbody, like in tonij2000's photos!) looks all sorts of wrong - cuts between the girls, and hits right below my hip bone - too close to my bum-bum. I just double the strap up and wear it under the armpit/at the bustline/ribcage, but on the shoulder.

However, I do find I can wear bags crossbody (lap top bags) with a heavier coat - it hangs across the chest, versus with a tee-shirt or slim-cut sweater, where it settles right at the sternum/mid-chest. Honestly, though I tend to avoid crossbody - and if I need hands-free, I go for shoulder versus crossbody.

I wear a padded bra, and with a jacket or sweater on top I don't have a problem. I think it also depends on the brand. The crossbody I'm addicted to right now is a Burberry satchel. The crossbody strap is about an inch wide and the leather is very smooth and light. This is in contrast to other crossbodies I've owned, which were made of much thicker leather and had wider straps that would dig in uncomfortably. Nylon crossbodies can also be very good, comfort-wise.

I don't like crossbody bags on me because they draw too much attention to my chest - also a few times I've had the strap rub such that it undid my buttons and I was walking around with my bra showing!

I have very small shoulders so any bags I wear on my shoulders constantly slip. Including my diaper bag. It's a real pain. Esp when I am holding the baby and a few things and fighting my toddler to get into the house from the car. When I am out, I clip the straps onto the back straps of the baby carrier to keep it from constantly slipping off. My diaper bag has gotten a lot lighter and am thinking about carrying a regular bag now.

I am so used to throwing on my xbody bag and positioning it to the back. Maybe I will try it in the front. Hopefully I will get used to it.

My xbody bags are very light, not heavy at all. I have Chloe Marcie and Paraty, Givenchy Pandora Medium and Mini, LV Bloomsbury, Couple of lightweight Coaches.....

Tiggycat, that's happened to me before. LOL

I am strictly a hobo/shoulder person and never liked the way xbody bags looked on me. I always feel they make a separation between the girls (given a full bag) and aren't flattering. Then again, they can look fantastic on some girls. No one take this personally, as I don't mean it as an insult to any of my TPF friends here, but I personally prefer seeing them on slender young women.

I like shoulder bags. I have a large chest, an E cup, and I'm tall. Cross body, IMO looks horrible unless it's a really thin person without a large chest. Otherwise you have the strap bisecting across the chest and it makes the person look very large.

Reactions: Sferics