Tooth extraction in dogs.

Mar 19, 2007
Hi Pet Lovers!
My "baby" 11 year old pug is currently in surgery for a suspicious mast cell tumor removal under her arm. I am no doctor but am pretty positive it's nothing because I have pointed it out to vets in the past and she has had this bump for a few years and her blood work is fine, but anyway, new vet wanted to MAKE sure.
Well, they are also doing a dental cleaning and found TWO broken molars :cry: that have to be removed.
Has anyone here dealt with this??? What kind of pain will she be in and what can I do to ease it??? Poor girl, she really loves dingo bones.

Hi Pet Lovers!
My "baby" 11 year old pug is currently in surgery for a suspicious mast cell tumor removal under her arm. I am no doctor but am pretty positive it's nothing because I have pointed it out to vets in the past and she has had this bump for a few years and her blood work is fine, but anyway, new vet wanted to MAKE sure.
Well, they are also doing a dental cleaning and found TWO broken molars :cry: that have to be removed.
Has anyone here dealt with this??? What kind of pain will she be in and what can I do to ease it??? Poor girl, she really loves dingo bones.

^^ awe, i'm sorry your baby needed surgery, but it's good they're removing the tumor just in casee...and i'm sorry about her broken molars too...but it's good they're removing them, because she's probably been in some pain because of them & you wouldn't have known...my pets have needed some of their teeth extracted before & recovered quickly & went back to their normal activities...but my last doggy stopped chewing bones by that age (just had no interest anymore), so that wasn't an issue...i'd talk to your vet & see what they say (((hugs))) :hugs:

^^ awe, i'm sorry your baby needed surgery, but it's good they're removing the tumor just in casee...and i'm sorry about her broken molars too...but it's good they're removing them, because she's probably been in some pain because of them & you wouldn't have known...my pets have needed some of their teeth extracted before & recovered quickly & went back to their normal activities...but my last doggy stopped chewing bones by that age (just had no interest anymore), so that wasn't an issue...i'd talk to your vet & see what they say (((hugs))) :hugs:

That is THE worst part, I feel awful that I had no idea. I brush her teeth regularly but I wouldn't have noticed something like that.
Thank you for your words!!

My 10 year old had 7 teeth removed and he was fine in about 48 hours. Until then just give him only soft foods and of course a lot of extra kisses. I hope he is feeling better soon.

She's doing better!
She was a mess when we picked her up from the vet, just soooo disoriented & scared. When I got her home she was afraid to go to sleep thinking she would wake up in a vet cage I think.
But she is getting 24/7 TLC from me so she's happy. I fed her some tiny pieces of boiled chicken and she ate it. Now, she's just being her lazy pug self and sleeping. I'm going to stay home with her for the weekend and keep her company.

Yep, she's getting back to her old self but I can tell how uncomfortable she is. She's eating & she finally went outside to pee but I am having a hard time getting her to drink water. I've started to used her syringe (for her oral meds) to make sure she's hydrated. And she only sleeps when I am sleeping. She keeps her eyes open to make sure I won't leave her. :amuse:

glad to hear she is better... They usually recover really fast, in a day or two max.

My baby has a really bad tooth ache right now. I think it is going to have to be pulled tomorrow. He is missing over half his teeth. :sad: I feel so bad for him right now. My DH just gave him some pain meds to hold him over until tomorrow.

Yep, she's getting back to her old self but I can tell how uncomfortable she is. She's eating & she finally went outside to pee but I am having a hard time getting her to drink water. I've started to used her syringe (for her oral meds) to make sure she's hydrated. And she only sleeps when I am sleeping. She keeps her eyes open to make sure I won't leave her. :amuse:

Oh how cute...she loves her Mommy!! Does she like watermelon? Its full of water, so if you can cut up some small pieces to feed her, it might hydrate her a bit. Glad to hear she is on the road to recovery!!

Sorry to hear about your furbaby, My puggle had a few teeth taken out and he recovered after a day. The first day he came home didn't seem to be in pain but was sleepy :smile:.

Wishing your baby a speedy recovery :smile: