took kittens away from stray cat...now the mother is stalking my door

Jun 8, 2009
there is this one stray cat where I live and she's being pregnant like 3 times ...like 3 months ago she gave birth to 5 kitten a month later one of them got hit by a car.to make a long story short there are only 2 left . I've been feeding them for the last 3 weeks ...(side note: people from where I live are bothered that I feed the cats and complained to the property manager)...its been really cold so I decided to let the 2 kittens spend the night. I called a few animals shelters and almost all of them told me they have no room. I cannot keep them because I have 1 dog 3rabbits 7chinchillas in a tiny apt I wish I could. One of the shelters called me back this morning and told me that they might be able to take them in and help me catch the mother so she can get spayed...the problem is that the mother was looking for her kittens all day and I don't know how she found out that they were staying with me...she is now stalking my entry way which I share with my neighbor who is the one who complained ...I really don't want to have to put them back out ...but I don't want to risk another complaint
Did I do the right thing taking them in and calling a shelter? Will she stop stalking? I need to catch her to spay her though its unfair for all of those kittens that are dying or getting killed?

Can you let the mother cat in to be with her kittens until you can surrender her to the shelter? My concern is that she might be carrying something that can be passed onto your other animals.
When a neighborhood stray dog had pups, everyone took a puppy. I didn't want a pup.
I rescued the mother.

Can you let the mother cat in to be with her kittens until you can surrender her to the shelter? My concern is that she might be carrying something that can be passed onto your other animals.
When a neighborhood stray dog had pups, everyone took a puppy. I didn't want a pup.
I rescued the mother.

i tried to get close to her but she hisses at me all the time

i tried to get close to her but she hisses at me all the time

She probably smell her kittens on you that is why... but do consider too if your children is taken away from you, you won't be too happy either.

I do think you did the right thing in calling the shelter.

Another thing I can recommend if the shelter deal falls through is to check out some TNR (trap neuter & return) rescues if it is available in your neck of the woods. Just google, you'll find many help.

Good luck! Thanks for a warm heart.

I think you did the right thing. Have you checked your local petco or petsmart?? I think they have some local animal rescue people there, if there's adoption available. They are private run so usually no hotline service. I'd go in and talk to them. GL!!

there is this one stray cat where I live and she's being pregnant like 3 times ...like 3 months ago she gave birth to 5 kitten a month later one of them got hit by a car.to make a long story short there are only 2 left . I've been feeding them for the last 3 weeks ...(side note: people from where I live are bothered that I feed the cats and complained to the property manager)...its been really cold so I decided to let the 2 kittens spend the night. I called a few animals shelters and almost all of them told me they have no room. I cannot keep them because I have 1 dog 3rabbits 7chinchillas in a tiny apt I wish I could. One of the shelters called me back this morning and told me that they might be able to take them in and help me catch the mother so she can get spayed...the problem is that the mother was looking for her kittens all day and I don't know how she found out that they were staying with me...she is now stalking my entry way which I share with my neighbor who is the one who complained ...I really don't want to have to put them back out ...but I don't want to risk another complaint
Did I do the right thing taking them in and calling a shelter? Will she stop stalking? I need to catch her to spay her though its unfair for all of those kittens that are dying or getting killed?

No, I don't think that you should have separated the mother from her kittens. It's not her fault that she is not spayed. I think the better solution would have been to either call animal control (if they could get her to a no kill shelter) and/or catch her yourself and take her to shelter so she could get spayed.

You only did a temporary fix, removing her kittens isn't going to stop the momma from getting pregnant again. Also, cats and dogs have intense senses so she can smell her babies.

If she's coming to your door, see if you can catch her. Do you have a big enough cage that maybe you can put her and her babies in. She will continue to fret until she knows that her babies are ok.

i think it's a good idea to catch the mom and put her with her babies in a big cage until you bring all of them to the shelter.

i got my sasha thru the animal rescue at petsmart. she was caught right after having 5 kittens and she was spayed right after she was caught. i still had no idea why she was on the street and not spayed. the way she acts was so obviously that she's used to human.

I would see if you can find a live animal trap like a Have-a-Heart (borrow one from someone if you have to - maybe even try Craigslist) and trap the mother. She needs to be with her babies, esp if they are still of nursing age, and she needs to be spayed. Also try looking up organizations like "Feral Friends" who do the trap-neuter/spay-release of wild cats.

Best of luck to you in trying to help these kitties!

thanks for all your responses...

the rescue group that called me said that the only way that she'll take them is if she could catch her to be spayed.that is what i wanted ,there have been too many kittens killed by local kids or ran over (some people have no remorse).my local shelter is known for not being so kind.

i think it's a good idea to catch the mom and put her with her babies in a big cage until you bring all of them to the shelter.

i got my sasha thru the animal rescue at petsmart. she was caught right after having 5 kittens and she was spayed right after she was caught. i still had no idea why she was on the street and not spayed. the way she acts was so obviously that she's used to human.
She's a georgeous kitty.

I know this is a dumb question OP so I apologize in advance.
If Mama is hanging out by your door, can you put her kitties near the inside of your doorway when she's there, and open the door for her to see, hear, and smell them? Once she enters, close the door and give them privacy and a bowl of cat chow and water for her. Just set them on a soft towel and make a small spot for her to take care of them and get a meal for herself. Maybe she'll relax a little after she sees you are helping and mean no harm to her or her little ones.

^^Oh Ok. Yeah, that makes more sense. wow. I really don't know what I'd do.
Please let us know what you decide on, so I'll have ideas for the future if this ever happens again.
There are so many feral cats in my area that if we find a kitten alone, we know where the cats hang out in the bushes and just return the kitties to that area with some food.
A lot of them sleep under the houses in our area to stay warm and comfy at night. They drive our dogs crazy though.

Last edited:
I think if you are feeding the cats then you need to take the responsibility of humanely trapping them and having them spayed/neutered. My neighbor feeds all the cats in our neighborhood (it seems), and when I asked if any were his he said no. It may make you feel good that you are helping them, but it really is annoying to have a million cats hanging around your house all the time. Not to mention that any food left out also attracts skunks, raccoons, possums, etc.

I have no doubt that you are trying to do a wonderful thing by helping these animals, but I think the right thing to do for your neighbors is take the next step and REALLY make a difference. Catch 'em, neuter/spay, and release. Then maybe find a place away from other people to feed them. There is information online about maintaining feral cat colonies responsibly.

As far as the two kittens go, you could get them fixed and then re-home them. If you aren't feeding the mom she will eventually go away, but she'll just go out and get pregnant again, have more kittens, and what good would saving the two you have do? Animal control in my city provides traps. Maybe call your local animal control and see what they can do to help you catch Momma cat.