Took in a 14 year old girl because we can't find her MOM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

couture_addict

Just relax...
O.G.
Mar 25, 2007
Last night our daughter went to a school activity that ended at 9PM. When we picked her up, her friend was with her. She looked scared and alone, saying that she had no way home and that she had lost her house key. (home was 2 miles away). The girl is 14 years old.

We assumed that perhaps her parents worked late. It turns out that her MOM has left the state (I don't know why) and won't be back until Saturday morning. We haven't been able to get ahold of her, as she won't answer her cell phone. We finally drove over to the girl's house at 11PM and left a note there with all of our contact information, then went to the police station to file a report so that if Mom called in they would be able to tell her where her daughter was. I've checked with the police a couple times today, and the Mom hasn't called.

We've never met the Mom. The Dad is not involved in the girl's life, and is also nowhere to be found. No friends, no other family. So here we are - she's staying with us because she has nowhere else to go.

Maybe there is more to this story than we know, but I find it unbelievable that NOBODY is taking care of this girl!! Obviously nobody is calling in to check on her, otherwise they'd have called the police by now...not to mention who the hell leaves their 14 year old girl home ALONE for days on end.

Poor kiddo. I'm so pi$$ed.

:mad:

Thats terrible. How do people do this. The other day there was a story on the news about a lady who left her 11 year old an a couple of other younger children at home whilst she went on her honeymoon????

Good for you for taking her home.

Depending on how events unfold, you might be looking at a really sucky and short list of options.

Please let us know what happened, I will hope for the best, that there was some really urgent situation going on that the mother did not want her daughter involved in, and chose what in a crisis appeared to be the less of two evils.

The little girl herself is probably your best source of information at this point, though she may understandably be reluctant to cast her mother in an unflattering light. For example, if you make tactful inquiries with the objective of learning if this is an unprecedented one time event, or if it is something that has happened before...

About all we can do is try to send hopes and prayers and various forms of good energy to you as you wade through it...

Maybe there is more to this story than we know, but I find it unbelievable that NOBODY is taking care of this girl!! Obviously nobody is calling in to check on her, otherwise they'd have called the police by now...not to mention who the hell leaves their 14 year old girl home ALONE for days on end.

Poor kiddo. I'm so pi$$ed.

:mad:

Sadly, I think this happens a lot more than we care to think.

You're doing the right thing. I hope others step up and help this girl.

Thanks for the kind words, everybody...I'm sure it's what most people would have done, we couldn't just leave her there all alone.

She's not very talkative right now, but she sure looks sad. She and my daughter just got home from school. I think we're going to take them out ice skating and grab some pizza tonight to try cheer her up a little bit.

Lucky for her it's "chocolate night" at our house...every Friday night we get a giant Hersey bar, my 2 daughters and I split it. Pure heaven.

Thank goodness you were there couture. I hate to think what would've happened to that poor girl if you hadn't taken her home with you. Her mother should be ashamed of herself.

There's no way in hell I would ever leave my daughter like that.

Thank God there are still people like you around to help this poor girl out. I cant believe her mother just left her and is obviously not checking up on her either. Im interested to hear how this all unfolds. Bless you for making this girls life a little easier.

^^^I was a little surprised, too...I think the reason they didn't was because we knew the girl, we weren't filing an official "complaint", and she obviously had a safe place to stay with us.

Good for you to take her in. Poor girl, I can't imagine what she is thinking right now. Wonder if the police will contact CPS and just not inform you. I find it strange that they wouldn't. Pizza and chocolate - hope it cheers her up! I suspect that being with your family will do the trick! Anyway, cheers to you for getting involved and caring.

Aw, poor thing. I can only imagine how she must feel. You did every thing that you could and should do. I hope that this story works out for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.