Too many bags! How do I decide what to get rid of?

curlsaloud

curlsaloud
O.G.
Dec 23, 2005
I've got far too many bags and I just don't know how to go about trimming my collection. How do you decide whether or not to get rid of a bag? I've got a few that I haven't used in ages, a few that were rash purchases and I used a couple of times til the novelty wore off. I even have some that I have never used :shame:

Last year for example I bought a gold Chloe Silverado in the NAP sales. I loved it when I bought it, and used it about half a dozen times. But my style and my priorities have changed so much this year. I'm a mature student at the moment, and for months I have just used my laptop bag. I expect this will continue when I get a job. I just can't see me using a bag like that again. It just doesn't suit my weekend style anymore, I'm much more casual and it seems too 'grown up' for me.

Is it time to let go of stuff like this? The amount of room my stuff takes up our wardrobes is a significant bone of contention with me and the other half and he has already said that he wants me to have a clear out.

I know how you feel! I just trimmed my collection down to almost nothing and sold them on Ebay. I'm still trying to get rid of a few. I hated to see some of them go but I take comfort in the fact that the people who bought them have written to me how much they love them and I hope my old bags have a nice second life being used by someone who appreciates them instead of sitting in the closet.

Personally I get rid of anything I haven't used in the last year. The exception would be evening bags (not everyone has an occasion to get dressed up every year and they are so classic). Since you are a student I would also consider keeping some everyday bags you would be using if you weren't using your laptop bag.

Thanks that's really useful. I think I need to sit down and have a good think about it. I just don't feel right carrying some of my bags anymore. I was going through my wardrobe the other day looking for an everyday bag big enough for all my junk and everything was either too formal or just too nice to lug round.