Too flashy for work?

shadowyi

A little classic..:]
O.G.
Jul 17, 2008
Hello ladies! (Thank you everyone for their opinions on my last thread, I've decided to go ahead with a black croc 30 :yahoo:). I'm back again asking you what is the most appropriate leather for the workplace. I'm leaning towards a noir ostrich in 35, but should I be getting a black togo instead? And still, do you think two black birkins is overkill? I want some basic bags I can use for a long time and dress them up with scarves or accessories like that.

hi hi!! That really depends your status at work. IMHO if I see an analyst (not analyst analyst, rather its the entry level staff) using a croc birkin for work, it might attract unnecessary attention. But IMHO a sccessful, reputable person in the firm would not have any problem carrying anything one likes. If you are self conscious, better go with the safer choice.

I think besides black, gold is another great workhorse color!! :tup:

i dont think an exotic bag is appropriate for any professional workplace---but it of course depends on your workplace too. i think if you are the CEO of the company sure.......otherwise it may be too much. i would go with togo for work personally

I agree with Hermesaholic. I don't think exotics look right in the workplace, unless you're workplace is a high fashion design house. :biggrin: I'd also go for togo. :yes: ebene or indigo would be lovely alternatives to black.

Ugh, workplace is the enemy of chic handbags. I would love you to enjoy your handbag beauties, but I would refrain from carrying an obvious designer handbag at all. Perhaps an under-the-radar Plume/Victoria. Enjoy your exotics at other times. Even if it is normal to carry Birkins to work where you are, you never know who is resenting your handbags - these things are unspoken. Please be safe :flowers:

While togo is perhaps the most resistant to scuffs and general wear and tear, if you wanted something a bit different (all the bags are "special" in their own way), you could consider box leather. Although box will show scratches and scuffs more easily than togo, over the years they will meld into a beautiful patina. Check out the reference leather thread---it is a gold mine of information!!!

IMO, Croc is not appropriate for the workplace. I find nothing wrong with having more than one black bag in your collection though so I'd say Black Clemence, Togo, Fjord or Box calf would be the perfect balance to your black Croc 30!

Ugh, workplace is the enemy of chic handbags. I would love you to enjoy your handbag beauties, but I would refrain from carrying an obvious designer handbag at all. Perhaps an under-the-radar Plume/Victoria. Enjoy your exotics at other times. Even if it is normal to carry Birkins to work where you are, you never know who is resenting your handbags - these things are unspoken. Please be safe :flowers:
How true....:yes:

I love black handbags- I have almost a dozen of them..... :P So I think you can never have too many! I prefer also etoupe, gris t. and café which are all beautiful neutrals. Togo, clemence and fjord are the most durable leathers.

The Lindy might be a suitable office / work bag for those (maybe) envious eyes.... Black Massai is chic too and a completely different style than a Birkin.

I work with a bunch of guys, and let me tell you, even THEY notice the bags. I carry whatever I like to work and don't even give it a second thought. Enjoy your bags! :woohoo:We go to work everyday, so if I waited for the times that I DON'T go to work, I would never get to use my lovelies! The only time that I would be conscious is at a meeting with a brand new client. I would comfortably carry anything exotic in any color BUT pink! Too barbie for my business. After I know them well, I would take it with me for sure!:queen:

Sadly, this is so true. You can easily pick up a problem "stalker" in another co worker that may try to sabotage your personal belongings or projects. Not to mention having future earnings adjusted down based on the thought that if you can spend XXX amount on bags you don't need a raise. Under the radar all the way. :Push:

O_O Oh my goodness! I'm slightly shocked at the problems our beloved bags would cause in the workplace. Thank you all for the words of caution, I'll definitely go with the safer leather choice then.