Too common? Or am I in my own world?

I do understand what you are saying. Here in Toronto I see far too many Chanel bags, to the point I lost interest. I don't wear my Chanel bags anymore because it's nothing special anymore to me. Everyone and anyone carries it in the neighbourhood where I live.

I don't have jumbo but I'm hoping to get one at some point. I have a few classic bags from different brand. When I see others carrying the same bag, I'm just convinced me my bags are popular. Lol.[emoji3]

I love my jumbo Chanels. I think it is such a perfect everyday bag because for me, it fits everything I need for the day. However, I think it also depends on where you live. When I was living in London, I wear it as my everyday bag, I sometimes swap it out for my maxi when I need the extra room, but I don't feel self conscious or anything because literally everyone wears Chanel in London in my area. However, after I moved to Toronto/Vancouver, I do find myself often reaching out for my reissue, as it is a little more under the radar, and doesn't "scream" Chanel, and it is much lighter which is a relief for my shoulders. As for the wet/snowy weather, I think I have covered it with London and Toronto (oh the snow), and both the classic/reissue are good for it, I haven't had any issues with them, but I do drive most of the time.

Hi! Yes, I visit London occasionally and find myself spotting them left and right (but I love seeing Chanel in the wild....)! I go to Paris every so often, too, and last week I was with my kids on the playground with a blue jumbo. I was worried it was a bit ¨much¨ and then I saw two more Chanels on mommies, a big metallic reissue over at the swings, and a classic lambskin flap at the carousel! So much for being too fancy for the park!
I have also been contemplating a 226 reissue for the reasons you mentioned.
I feel for you regarding the snow and rain. Luxembourg gets rain ALL.THE.TIME. And I am from Chicago so I remember blizzards!
I will probably be moving to New York next, so if anyone has advice for that area, please let me know.

I don't have jumbo but I'm hoping to get one at some point. I have a few classic bags from different brand. When I see others carrying the same bag, I'm just convinced me my bags are popular. Lol.[emoji3]

That is a good way to view it. If a lot of people have it, possibly it was a very good choice.

I do understand what you are saying. Here in Toronto I see far too many Chanel bags, to the point I lost interest. I don't wear my Chanel bags anymore because it's nothing special anymore to me. Everyone and anyone carries it in the neighbourhood where I live.

Thank you for your message! I appreciate the sentiment. I am sad you feel that way (but I totally get it). It is so true that we start seeing our luxury items as not so special if many people have them. I think part of the definition of luxury is having things that are unique or sort of unique, and it feels a bit less exciting if something becomes too common.
But the jumbo is a good size, and black caviar is so versatile, I might not care in the end if even 5000 people in my neighborhood have the same one. Need to think about it....
I posted this question because I do not want to be perceived as a person who has a bit of $ to spend on a bag but no mind of her own, just following what is popular. Maybe in high school I had no idea of personal style, but I am a grown-up now!

While I see some Chanel in the Boston area, it's not very common. I think a lot of people go for the black caviar jumbo SHW because it's big enough to be useful, classic, yet modern with the silver hardware. If you want something a little different, maybe consider a reissue? The 227 size is similar to a jumbo, but lighter, and distressed calf can handle some inclement weather.

Thank you! Yes, reissue is a great idea as well. I am also thinking I need to try one.

i agree with what others have said - it totally depends on where you live. where i'm currently at, i have only seen ONE chanel bag (m/l black CF with SHW) in the almost 2 years since relocating here. lol my area is totally casual. if you love it, then get it! i have jumbo lambskin with GHW and i carry it as a daily bag. it's all based on preference and your personal style. i don't feel that gold is too dressy either bc most of my fashion jewelry is gold and while i occasionally like to mix metals, i generally prefer to match my bag hw to my jewelry. i still feel that chanel overall is not as commonly spotted as LV for example. i was visiting some inlaws where they were and in one department store, i saw 10-12 LV bags of all shapes and sizes. LOL!

The bag in your avatar is lovely!

I live in the DC area and work downtown DC and I don't see many if any chanel, but when I go out shopping on the weekend at Tyson's Galleria I see a lot more. I don't let it bother me since I love this bag because of the casual vibe and this is coming from a diehard gold hardware lover

Thank you! I always love seeing your collection when you post pics, CaribeanQueen!

I love to handbag spot. In recent years with more contemporary bags becoming more popular I would say those are the bags I see the most out and about in London. I have also seen Hermes on the tube just as much as I see Chanel classic flaps. I think it is great. If you want the caviar flap with SHW I say get it. But only if u will use and love it:smile:

In London I also think that boy bags have more of a presence currently.

From the place I live and people I know or I saw on the streets, not everyone has a black cav jumbo with shw, BUT almost "everyone" has a medium cav Classic flap, black with shw are definitely in bigger portion.

Thank you for your message! I appreciate the sentiment. I am sad you feel that way (but I totally get it). It is so true that we start seeing our luxury items as not so special if many people have them. I think part of the definition of luxury is having things that are unique or sort of unique, and it feels a bit less exciting if something becomes too common.
But the jumbo is a good size, and black caviar is so versatile, I might not care in the end if even 5000 people in my neighborhood have the same one. Need to think about it....
I posted this question because I do not want to be perceived as a person who has a bit of $ to spend on a bag but no mind of her own, just following what is popular. Maybe in high school I had no idea of personal style, but I am a grown-up now!

Hi Doodles, well I certainly hope I did not confuse you in any way:smile: I know how you feel, as it is an expensive purchase and you want to feel confident in your purchase, and one that will last for many years. If you really LOVE something you will wear it with confidence. Please let us know what you decide! It sounds like you have impeccable taste, and great attention to detail.

A few years ago, before I began my Chanel journey, I was at a special celebration in South Florida. The entire front row of women were all carrying black classic flaps, not sure of the size or hardware color. I decided then that I would not own a classic flap and I prefer only more unique pieces. I do however have 2 reissues and love them to pieces.

Hehehe. :biggrin:
"Too common."

Only on this forum do I get impresssion that "everyone" wanders around swinging chanel bags.
Irl, owning classic flap is a treat, indeed.

Sure, others may own same design bag.
But style wearing it = individual, personal, unique.
Most humans have 2 eyes, similar to others'.
But, everyone sees through them differently.

Hope helps. :smile:

Hehehe. :biggrin:
"Too common."

Only on this forum do I get impresssion that "everyone" wanders around swinging chanel bags.
Irl, owning classic flap is a treat, indeed.

Sure, others may own same design bag.
But style wearing it = individual, personal, unique.
Most humans have 2 eyes, similar to others'.
But, everyone sees through them differently.

Hope helps. :smile:

Oh yes! So true.

A few years ago, before I began my Chanel journey, I was at a special celebration in South Florida. The entire front row of women were all carrying black classic flaps, not sure of the size or hardware color. I decided then that I would not own a classic flap and I prefer only more unique pieces. I do however have 2 reissues and love them to pieces.

That is so funny!