Too casual for Chanel Classic flap?

Oct 15, 2013
London
I am pretty set on getting a chanel classic flap in black caviar leather with silver hardware in the jumbo size.

However I am worried that my style is too casual for a chanel bag. I live in ankle grazer jeans, oversized jumpers, graphic tees and shirts, sneakers, boat shoes and boots. Is it going to look weird to carry this bag and outfit combination?

I am a great believer in wearing the things you have and just working with it, if you feel comfortable it will look great, but for some reason this particular bag is a stumbling block for me :shucks: :shrugs: :confused1: :hrmm:

Any advice and outfit pictures would be appreciated. I am also pretty young, 18, so wearing dresses and fancy clothing just doesn't appeal to me, I like to look cool, casual and effortless.

Reactions: Namwan-

sararachelle

Sara S.
Oct 15, 2013
Long Island, New York
Not at all! I am 21 so I'm pretty young to wear Chanel too, but I wear my flap with casual outfits and love the polished feel it adds to my look. I actually prefer a flap with a more casual outfit because of the contrast if that makes sense.

However I heard many people who buy black caviar with silver hardware find that it is kind of bland. Would you consider gold hw?

Mar 9, 2011
Agreed with sararachelle, not at all too casual!

I've been wearing my flap or reissue with jeans-on-jeans ensemble. Yes, even with denim shirt :biggrin:
One thing I really like about Chanel is its versatility. The bags from C just match well with casual outfit or more polished dresses. Your choice. You can wear it with casual, tomboy-ish outfits or very sweet-feminine ones.

On my recent quick reveal thread I wore the pink boy with Zara sweater and American Apparel skirt and tights. I cropped the pics but I was actually wearing a baby blue New Balance sneakers. Granted it's a pink-white-baby blue rather sweet pastel combination, however it's decidedly not at all fancy :smile:
http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel/mini-quick-reveal-plus-a-bonus-885213.html

Let's see if I can get a picture of me with denim/sweater/tee and a flap/reissue bag...

HTH!

Last edited:

remainsilly

bye-bye
Aug 15, 2014
Try this thread: http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags-and-purses/cheap-clothing-expensive-handbags-884211.html

It's quite popular to dress casually with upscale bags.

sararachelle

Sara S.
Oct 15, 2013
Long Island, New York

I've been wearing my flap or reissue with jeans-on-jeans ensemble. Yes, even with denim shirt :biggrin:
One thing I really like about Chanel is its versatility. The bags from C just match well with casual outfit or more polished dresses. Your choice. You can wear it with casual, tomboy-ish outfits or very sweet-feminine one.

On my recent quick reveal thread I wore the pink boy with Zara sweater and American Apparel skirt and tights. I cropped the pic but I was actually wearing a baby blue New Balance sneakers. Granted it's a pink-white-baby blue rather sweet pastel combination, however it's decidedly not at all fancy :smile:

Let's see if I can get a picture of me with denim/sweater/tee and a flap/reissue bag...

HTH!

I actually saw this earlier and screenshotted your outfit because I loved it soo much!

kittymoomoo

Nov 10, 2013
san francisco, ca.
I think you'll look great no matter what type of clothes you have on. The idea of only dressing up to carry a Chanel is gone. When I was your age it was a no-no. I say enjoy your Jumbo all the time!! I love seeing young women with their Chanel.

nadineluv

Mar 19, 2012
I dress very casual. Jeans, tee, denim cut off shorts, chambray, sweaters, sandals & converse most of the time & I wear my Chanels along w those outfits.
So you can never be too casual for Chanel ;)

agumila

Nov 23, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I actually think silver hardware would be perfect for you because of your casual style. I tried a jumbo with gold hardware in a store last weekend and it's just too formal / glam for me. i think silver hardware is more young and understated

Oct 15, 2013
London
Thankyou all for replying! I'm reassured that actually this bag is going to work well for my style and lifestyle! I also think picking the silver hardware is going to make it work with casual outfits, it's a little more casual, fresh and modern in itself. In so excited to get my bag now, last stretch of saving and by the end of November I'll have my bag! :biggrin:

Oct 15, 2013
London
I actually think silver hardware would be perfect for you because of your casual style. I tried a jumbo with gold hardware in a store last weekend and it's just too formal / glam for me. i think silver hardware is more young and understated

That's what I thought, the silver feels so fresh and modern! The gold, whilst really classic, is just too 'in your face' for me :smile:

Oct 15, 2013
London
I dress very casual. Jeans, tee, denim cut off shorts, chambray, sweaters, sandals & converse most of the time & I wear my Chanels along w those outfits.

So you can never be too casual for Chanel ;)

Jeans, graphic t shirts and bright sneakers are basically what I live it! Glad we have the same philosophy on chanel :biggrin:

Oct 15, 2013
London
I think you'll look great no matter what type of clothes you have on. The idea of only dressing up to carry a Chanel is gone. When I was your age it was a no-no. I say enjoy your Jumbo all the time!! I love seeing young women with their Chanel.

I'm so glad you see it that way, I was worried that maybe people, even on tpf would harshly judge someone so young purchasing this bag. But they way I see it, I am using entirely my own money I have saved for working 5 days a week, I don't have bills to it yet, no mortgage or children so it's really the best time to get such a bag! And if you can't treat yourself when you are young and carefree (well sort of! Lol) when can you?!

Oct 15, 2013
London

One thing I really like about Chanel is its versatility. The bags from C just match well with casual outfit or more polished dresses. Your choice. You can wear it with casual, tomboy-ish outfits or very sweet-feminine ones.

On my recent quick reveal thread I wore the pink boy with Zara sweater and American Apparel skirt and tights. I cropped the pics but I was actually wearing a baby blue New Balance sneakers. Granted it's a pink-white-baby blue rather sweet pastel combination, however it's decidedly not at all fancy :smile:

HTH!

Thankyou so much for posting the picture, by the way such a cool outfit! Love the sweater and the contrast you made between pink and blue, as I love to clash colours because they go together, oxymoronically!

I'm feeling more at ease about my choice of bag now. I considered a boy bag actually but as my first chanel I think I want to go classic, especially as this style is ALWAYS subject to price rises!

Oct 15, 2013
London
Not at all! I am 21 so I'm pretty young to wear Chanel too, but I wear my flap with casual outfits and love the polished feel it adds to my look. I actually prefer a flap with a more casual outfit because of the contrast if that makes sense.

However I heard many people who buy black caviar with silver hardware find that it is kind of bland. Would you consider gold hw?

I totally get the contrast between casual and classic, even though it's a clash, it actually does work well! Weird! That's one of the reasons I want to go for the flap bag.

I have considered gold, but I feel it's too glam for me, I wear silver jewellery everyday, and I feel like silver is the modern option. Although when I get to the store I think I'm going to look at both hardware options to make sure!