Admin
Admin
O.G.
Jan 12, 2006
Tommy Ramone Dead at 62

12 minutes ago BY TMZ STAFF

breaking news
0712-tommy-ramone-getty-4.jpg

The last surviving original member of legendary punk rock group "The Ramones" is dead.

Tommy Ramone -- the group's drummer on the first 3 albums -- died Friday at his home in Queens, New York. He'd been in a hospice following bile duct cancer treatments ... according to Variety.

Tommy stopped drumming for the band in '84 -- he was replaced by Marky Ramone -- but still worked with the Ramones throughout the years. Tommy is credited for writing most of "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend" and "Blitzkrieg Bop."

Lead singer Joey Ramone died in 2001 of lymphoma, a drug overdose killed guitar player Dee Dee Ramone in 2002 ... and Johnny Ramone passed away in 2004 from prostate cancer.

The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

0712-the-ramones-sub-getty-7.jpg

This really is sad. I wonder if all those kids that wear The Ramones shirts as status symbols of cool, will even bat an eyelid at the news.

RIP.

Last edited:
Rock and Roll High School is great. Did you know the story about how Joey, only had one girlfriend his whole life, and that was Linda. And in the early 80s, Johnnie stole her and married her? Joey openly never forgave him, and even though the song The KKK took my Baby Away was written about it, the wedge was always there.

When my husband worked in the Bridal District before we were married, a piece goods Salesman was talking about his nephew, and the nephew's friends, and they had no 'classical music talent' but they were hitting it pretty big, maybe he heard of them. It was the Ramones. When DH wakes up later, I ask him which Ramone and which salesman. I don't know, I can't believe none of the original 4 are still walking the earth. So, absolutely sad.

And yeah, I always smile when I see one of the shirts out and about. It makes me wonder too, do they even know what it was all about? I bet Debra Harry is pretty sad now.

I was more bummed when Wendy O Williams checked out. That is a good comparison of Ramones and Debbie Harry............they were sort of fluff punk.