Tomas Maier leaving BV

I don't know what the future holds for Bottega Veneta and in what direction the new creative director will take it, but I do this: When the "Confession Time: So sorry I've cheated" thread is consistently one of the most popular/posted in, and is frequently bumped to the top five threads on this forum.... Somethin' ain't right.

xk.gif
And I wonder how many of us are trolling the other designer forums looking for a new “ home”?

BV for many is still priced "right". If you don't want "initials" or a recognizable bag style, BV still
has captured many of us on those point(s). JMO
The pricing of Hermes bags for example is a big jump for many & not right for many lifestyles
& many just don't want a recognizable bag where the price is more or less known
I don't think that whether Thomas Maier leaving has had that much impact on many of us looking for
other "bag homes".Some of us will continue to buy repeat styles even on secondary markets because
those bags work in our lifestyle.
We all have our opinions & for the time being the new designer deserves the opportunity to show us
what he has in mind. We could all be very pleasantly surprised!
Many have been disappointed with the big guns in the bag industry for a bit of time due to prices,
design & quality issues.

I find Hermes pricing is almost directly in line with Bottega.
A Medium Cabat is $9000 Canadian Dollars and if it's considered the HG in BV world, it's not far off from the Hermes HG Birkin 35.
A large Cesta is $5300 CDN (Medium is $4500) and to me, it's comparable to a Garden Party 36, which is $4200CDN
Bottega 90cm silk scarves are also more than Hermes.
A regular size Roma is over $5000 CDN now... I mention Canadian Dollars because well, that's where I live, and the legal tender on my paycheque. I wouldn't think the pricing is much different between USD/Euros, etc.

The real price difference is in the second hand market where you can get BV for what seems like pennies on the dollar.
Fortunately for me, there is absolutely nothing that I NEED, hence my Bottega buying hiatus for the past 18 months.
Not to mention that the prices have become a bit much for me. A new bag now is a once every two years kind of purchase. I can't sustain spending $10-$15,000/year on purses.
*don't kick me out on the streets, k?

Reactions: Buckeyemommy
I find Hermes pricing is almost directly in line with Bottega.
A Medium Cabat is $9000 Canadian Dollars and if it's considered the HG in BV world, it's not far off from the Hermes HG Birkin 35.
A large Cesta is $5300 CDN (Medium is $4500) and to me, it's comparable to a Garden Party 36, which is $4200CDN
Bottega 90cm silk scarves are also more than Hermes.
A regular size Roma is over $5000 CDN now... I mention Canadian Dollars because well, that's where I live, and the legal tender on my paycheque. I wouldn't think the pricing is much different between USD/Euros, etc.

The real price difference is in the second hand market where you can get BV for what seems like pennies on the dollar.
Fortunately for me, there is absolutely nothing that I NEED, hence my Bottega buying hiatus for the past 18 months.
Not to mention that the prices have become a bit much for me. A new bag now is a once every two years kind of purchase. I can't sustain spending $10-$15,000/year on purses.
*don't kick me out on the streets, k?

No one is kicking you out on the streets for sure& don't disagree with much of what you say.
Still think that H prices edge out BV prices
BV still has some bags in an affordable price range where the inventory is more or less available
than it would be at Hermes. No waiting 2 + years for your dream bag either.
Just looked at BV.com & saw these prices
City knot bag $4200
Olimpia knot $3750
Sm Olimpia $2900
Sm shoulder $2350
Med shoulder $2650
These prices are certainly more affordable than the Kelly & Birkin are for many
Perhaps the Evelyn might be in a more palatable price point & other H styles

Last edited:
will speak for myself, H does NOT do it for me.
i detest their styles, ALL of 'em.
These two brands are geniunely opposite, clearly representing FRENCH bags (rigid, squarish, with hard corners and handles) and ITALIAN bags (slouchy, soft and delicious leather, and no fussy closures) and here i am ITALIAN head to toe, hence, will not move to H no matter what BV will come up with.
I am pretty much done, and any new addition is pure "spoil myself" treat, if i don't like their new offerings, i'll stick to my current bags, and will enjoy them for years!
as a 'back-up' home i have Balenciaga, where i can always satisfy my cravings for a NEW bag :smile:

will speak for myself, H does NOT do it for me.
i detest their styles, ALL of 'em.
These two brands are geniunely opposite, clearly representing FRENCH bags (rigid, squarish, with hard corners and handles) and ITALIAN bags (slouchy, soft and delicious leather, and no fussy closures) and here i am ITALIAN head to toe, hence, will not move to H no matter what BV will come up with.
I am pretty much done, and any new addition is pure "spoil myself" treat, if i don't like their new offerings, i'll stick to my current bags, and will enjoy them for years!
as a 'back-up' home i have Balenciaga, where i can always satisfy my cravings for a NEW bag :smile:

I’m with you regarding H. They’re heavy, stiff and stodgy.

At this point, my BV collection can carry me for the rest of my life. Or I should say, I can carry it for the rest of my life. Having recently released a third of my bags back into the universe, I feel better than ever about my more concise BV collection.
I’ve purchased a few H clutches this year, but not because of The Change. Two of the three were purchased prior to The Announcement. And, yes, they’re very structured....but also minimal.
So, I guess now we just wait and see where this train is going......

At this point, my BV collection can carry me for the rest of my life. Or I should say, I can carry it for the rest of my life. Having recently released a third of my bags back into the universe, I feel better than ever about my more concise BV collection.
I’ve purchased a few H clutches this year, but not because of The Change. Two of the three were purchased prior to The Announcement. And, yes, they’re very structured....but also minimal.
So, I guess now we just wait and see where this train is going......

And many of us are taking the train ride with you & I know it will be an interesting journey:smile:

I visited the new Hermes boutique at the Stanford Shopping Center today. Quite frankly I was underwhelmed by the low inventory on display and the lack of customer service. There were only two SAs and the security person. No one acknowledged me. The security person did thank me when I left. In my opinion, BV boutique customer service is far superior. I have heard about the aloofness of Hermes SAs. Perhaps if I had been carrying Hermes they would have given me some attention. I was carrying my Mona Lisa pillow and wearing BV fine jewelry.

I visited the new Hermes boutique at the Stanford Shopping Center today. Quite frankly I was underwhelmed by the low inventory on display and the lack of customer service. There were only two SAs and the security person. No one acknowledged me. The security person did thank me when I left. In my opinion, BV boutique customer service is far superior. I have heard about the aloofness of Hermes SAs. Perhaps if I had been carrying Hermes they would have given me some attention. I was carrying my Mona Lisa pillow and wearing BV fine jewelry.

I also thought the bag inventory was very low a few weeks ago when I checked it out.....

Reactions: Mousse

Lack of acknowledgement & treatment of clients at Hermes has been an ongoing issue for a long period of time.
Casually dressed or dressed to the nines doesn't always get one the attention they would expect.
Interesting that the new store wasn't chock full of inventory. Perhaps they are expecting more inventory soon
as with production closing in August which is just a few weeks away they should have merchandise.
Low inventory doesn't always mean a return trip by the client.
Sorry you were disappointed & for the most part when I've been in BV boutiques across the country as well
as Europe service & being acknowledged is high priority.

I think he changed BV forever when he designed the cabat.
(Why, oh why, won’t they make the smaller version again?)
What makes you think there will ever be another Cabat of any size?
That was Tomas' bag. There's a new cowboy in town now. He may have his own vision and his own signature bag.
We'll have to wait until February to find out.