Tomas Maier leaving BV

At least The PurseBlog recognizes we have concerns:
View attachment 4104435
The thing is, the brand doesn't necessarily "need " anything. Tomas has designed some simple, yet beautiful bags over the years. Offer them in various skins, vibrant colours, and make one really special bag or LE each season. Something amazing that you'll be miffed that you missed out on if you waited too long. Simple leather bags without too much stuff going on (grommets, studs, spikes, chains, logos, pompoms....). Something for real women (and men) who enjoy well made bags and don't necessarily need their stuff to scream out. An accessory to complement their already good taste, not something that announces your arrival in a room seconds before you actually show up.
If anything, Bottega needs an "it" bag - if those still exist - and some heavy representation by the celebrity du jour. Maybe Meghan Markle or someone like that.
I spoke with my SA, Danah, today. I asked her to suggest that BV bring back the small cabat if she ever had a chance to offer a suggestion. I told her that many of us would love to see that happen. The smaller cabat is the size of my lido bags. I love that size.
I was at the Bellevue boutique yesterday and we mentioned the Mini Cabat to the saleswoman. Her face was like :wtf: She had no idea what a Mini Cabat was, nor do I believe she had ever seen one.
There was A LOT of intrecciato on display, like at least 90%. However, the colour palette was incredibly uninspiring.
I was like:
anigif_enhanced-30842-1417675720-1.gif

Last edited:
The thing is, the brand doesn't necessarily "need " anything.
I agree. I feel like this is driven by shareholders to increase profits, which in turn increases the value of stocks, but that only takes the shorter view as opposed to a consistent stock that pays dividends time and time again even if the value doesn't fluctuate constantly.

I am part of the target demographic, albeit on the older end of the spectrum. Many of us have moved from the buy everything mentality to finding what specifically suits us, even if those are trendier styles. I adore micro bags, so I buy those when available and buy nothing when larger bags are in fashion. Unless if BV wants to commit to churning out everything (classics, trendy pieces, and high-end versions) month after month like LV does, I don't see this going well. It will likely alienate their regular clientele, bring in some new fans, start having quality issues due to overproduction which will alienate the new fans, then start l due to the trendy styles being dated.

I guess I'll have to depend on Tod's or make the inevitable transition to Hermes lol.

No wonder I’ve bought fewer BV bags in the last few years. The trend seems to be towards a gaudy, busy, glam look. So cheap looking! Much prefer the BV classics without logoes or iconic symbols. BV is catering to the aspirational customer apparently as all the so-called luxury brands are doing, including H with their more moderately priced bags. LV is the new Coach and Gucci is just silly and really cheap looking. Hopefully the new designer will not completely abandon the classic intrecciato.

Hello and sorry I am late and bumping this thread!

What can I say? As many of you have said, Bottega hadn't been the same since a while ago. The addition of unnecessary crazy designs and embellishments was an invite for the non-Bottega target: people who probably had never stepped into a store or who wouldn't be able to recognize the intrecciato even if they had a wall made out of it right in front of them. I found @anniebhu 's comment so spot on, this is for people who don't respect heritage, true luxury, quality, elegance and class (aka, millenials, generation to which I sadly belong.)

I will sound more bitter than I usually am and probably way off-topic, but what kind of world are we leaving to the people from the future? I know this is just fashion and a bu$iness after all and shouldn't be taken that seriously, but this is just a reflection of our society and of course, Kering is a company that has promoted this disrespect to designer's work, base customers' taste, loyalty and again, heritage by giving its back to all of this (again, I understand business are business.) Let's just take a look back to not-so-distant history and see what happened with Tom Ford, Stefano Pilati or Nicolas Ghesquière: they helped rebuild the brands they designed for and with this, they put them on top of sales and popularity. Then, after they were fully leeched, they were given the kick and forced out through the back door of dishonor. This is why I am also not surprised this happened to Tomas Maier and I can see the exact same thing happening to their current darlings Alessandro Michele and Demna Gvasalia in some years when all the hype goes down and the pendulum swings the other way again. In the end, it's true when they say that one day you're on the top and the next day you're on the bottom.

As for Mr. Daniel Lee, I am curious and fearful for the results (I've always been very resistent to change.) I could definitely see Phoebe Philo's Céline aesthetic harmonically mixing with Tomas Maier's Bottega Veneta, so in other words, I can definitely see Daniel Lee's aesthetic applied to BV. I am not sure though how that aesthetic can be turned into an Alessandro Michele-like, which is what Kering is looking for and this is why I am fearful. It could be a complete miss rather than a hit (I am envisioning a Frankenstein.) Only time will tell.

I also completely agree with @V0N1B2 's comment on how the shift to Hermès is inevitable. I, as many of us here I suppose, have always been an H customer, but had never fully transitioned since I don't like sticking to just one brand and, on a more personal note, I certainly don't like what some starlets and noveau riches have made of the brand. However, I have found that I've only bought and worn Hermès and not Bottega for a while now (well, I did start using my Bottegas again after I realized this.) If Mr. Lee doesn't bring something we, the base customers want or at least keep the namesake models, I can see most of us here transitioning to H rather than say, Moynat or Delvaux since those brands have very few models and are even less readily available. Also, their styles are not as fresh and effortless, yet classic and elegant, if that makes sense.

I am late jumping this thread but echoing everything already mentioned this decision really saddens me. not necessarily because change is bad, but the kind of change that Kering is promoting; tacky, gaudy, logo mania, bling bling is the opposite of why I fell in love with BV. Not everyone wants that in your face design. (I don’t mind monogramming but it’s getting out of hand at some houses.)

For me,the men’s collections have, in the past few seasons, frankly looked like clown costumes at times, and the bags have lately lost their appeal aswell. I wish they took more inspiration from the women’s side.

If it’s true that it is Kering that has pushed Tomas in this “new” direction it would explain a lot. The fact that they shortly after his dismissal also defunded the Tomas Maier brand makes this look like a firing and seriously differing visions. I would love TM at Hermes actually. But he might retire after this?

I can only hope that Daniel brings back what is essential core BV, with some innovation in maybe shapes but stays true to the intrecciato signature look and does not turn thie brand into a 5 year old’s bday party where all the bags have macaroni angels and glitter glued all over -insert over hyped brand of choice-

(Kim Jones at Dior gives me hope... maybe there is a shift in fashion on the horizon ...)

Interesting article in today's NYT Business Day section Article is
"For luxury groups, a shifting landscape" & the mention of Thomas Maier's namesake business
would cease operations.
It's all going in a different direction now & money is KING & making a real push for GUCCI!!
If you are a woman who has her own "individual sense of style" its nice to
see new bags from unknown designers that are just finding their way in the marketplace.
And while I don't disagree about Hermes, their prices are escalating & not many
feel great about spending 6K & upwards for a bag...There are other bags under that price
point, but they will be do for a price increase due to popularity at some point.
For many it is out of the realm of reality...

Last edited:
i am speechless.... :shocked: Pillow almost 2k ... small square reporter (?) 3.3k....

Attachments

• BV new4.jpg
    BV new4.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 302
  • BV new.jpg
    BV new.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 305
  • BV new1.jpg
    BV new1.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 309
  • BV new2.jpg
    BV new2.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 313
  • BV new3.jpg
    BV new3.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 313
I’m sad about the whole thing but trying to be optimistic. And I want to support the boutique I shop at because David and Co. have been just incredible to me. I think about all the BV staff who have cultivated clients based on the brand and its philosophy. This is really hard for them too. Now I’m not buying any of ‘that’ stuff that’s posted up above. I’ll buy a classic peice or two (I’m talking to you Tourmaline Garda) while I still can and then see what Mr. Lee creates for Cruise 19.

Last edited:
I’m sad about the whole thing but trying to be optimistic. And I want to support the boutique I shop at because David and Co. have been just incredible to me. I think about all the BV staff who have cultivated clients based on the brand and its philosophy. This is really hard for them too. Now I’m not buying any of ‘that’ stuff that’s posted up above. I’ll buy a classic peice or two (I’m talking to you Tourmaline Garda) while I still can and then see what Mr. Lee creates for Cruise 19.
i too, feel sorry for the SAs, as most of them are not fans of the latest trends, and i am keeping my eyes at Monalisa good old Pillow, but that's gonna happen closer to my bday in Oct...