Travel Tokyo- end of February/beginning of March

kashmira

Team Orange
O.G.
Feb 6, 2008
We will go on vacation in the end of February/beginning of March next year. We are currently discussing alternatives such as NYC, Singapore and Madeira (something totally different compared to NYC and Singapore- I know!) but Tokyo also came up as an alternative.

How is the climate in Tokyo in February/March? In what area is it recommended to stay and also does someone has recommendations of hotels? We haven't been discussing a budget but a "good" hotel but maybe not the most expensive.

February / March is end Winter / early Spring for Tokyo. Pretty nice. Slight chill but not that all cold.

A good area to stay would be Shinjuku. The last hotel I stayed in was Oakwood Apartments in Shinjuku, the rooms were quite small, but I loved the price, and how new the apartments were. Another chain to consider is Villa Fontaine. HTH!

February / March is end Winter / early Spring for Tokyo. Pretty nice. Slight chill but not that all cold.

A good area to stay would be Shinjuku. The last hotel I stayed in was Oakwood Apartments in Shinjuku, the rooms were quite small, but I loved the price, and how new the apartments were. Another chain to consider is Villa Fontaine. HTH!

Thanks dreamdoll!

i 2nd shinjuku too. the best part is there's plenty of shopping around the area too, so you can dump your haul back in the hotel and head out again :smile:

i was there late march last year. weather was good, between 15-20 degrees celcius? when it rains, it does get cold though, 10-11 degrees. we got lucky towards the end of the trip and managed to catch the cherry blossoms, which bloomed earlier than predicted! late feb/early march will be cooler. maybe you can consider pushing your trip back by a few weeks to catch the cherry blossom? ueno park and the imperial palace grounds are gorgeous places to catch it!

Shibuya, Shinjuku, & Harajuku are the best places for shopping in my opinion. These are like the crazy fashion areas. Also a good place for electronics (if your interested). Ginza has a lot up-scale shopping too.
If you're looking for more of a "history" place with alot nature, then I would suggest Ueno (northern part of tokyo).
Of all places, I would suggest Ginza though (my personal opinion).

AND I would also suggest staying a night or two in a Ryokan, if you can. Ryokan is a traditional japanese hot spring hotel.
http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/db/tokyo/index.htm#CategoryA

Make sure you go to Roppongi too!

I just came back from Tokyo this week. Loved it and can't wait to go back. It was a really quick trip for me, nex ttime I would love to see more of Japan apart from Tokyo.

Like a few people have said, Shinjuku is good. I stayed in the Shinjuku New City Hotel, which was very well priced. It doesn't have a high star rating but it was still very clean and tidy, room itself was a reasonable size, (the bathroom was tiny though). There are always staff on the front desk who speak English (although some more than others). It's about a 10 minute walk from Shinjuku train station, so handy location.

And honestly, I doubt you will end up spending much time in your hotel room.

Shinjuku and Shibuya are good places. Shibuya is a good shopping area for younger 20-somethings I think. Shinjuku is a bit more high end/mature. Try to get a good location more so than a great room.

If you can get a hotel that is close to the Yamanote JR train line, that's probably ideal. Trains are really expensive in Tokyo-as soon as you switch lines the price jumps up. The Yamanote line runs through all the major stops in Tokyo, so staying along that line would mean you wouldn't have to worry about switching trains a lot and will save you a alot of money in train fare.

The first time I was in Tokyo I stayed in Ueno (1/2 an hour from Shinjuku on the Yamanote line) and the fare was under 300yen return. This time I stayed with my friend in Youga, which is really close to Shibuya. By the time I switched trains in Shibuya and went to Shinjuku, it ended up costing me almost double (even though the trip was much shorter).

Ueno has lots of history, but it's FAR. I hated being on the train for so long every day to get to Shinjuku and Shibuya to see my friends.

Harajuku is a good shopping area too. There's some crazy fashion there. La Foret mall has a bit of everything-the basement floors are more goth/lolita wear, but the upper floors have some great fashion that isn't so "out there". There's also a small Topshop/Topman inside.

If you're going with your husband/boyfriend, there's a big Marui Mens department store in Shinjuku. They have lots of fantastic mens boutiques in there. (Oh, and Marui is spelt out like OIOI, so look for that instead of a sign that says "Marui").

Feb or March are nice months to visit Tokyo. Better pack some winter clothing coz it will be cool weather. February is the coldest month. Actually, staying anywhere in Tokyo is fine coz you will take the train to go around the places. Nice to stay in Shibuya and Shinjuku.