Toile vs Crinoline - your advice please

doloresmia

O.G.
May 20, 2008
All

Would appreciate your thoughts. I am planning for my next major H purchase - which I know is many moons away. My dream is a pre-loved HAC 32 CM or Birkin 35 CM in leather/crinoline or toile combo. This desire grows every time I see the lovely pix of Pazt and her biscuit toile, Jackie O's trim and the lovely lovely 40 CM birkin on ebay a few months back (I think it is/was dressage queen's?).... oh and luxury-shop's lovely pre-loved 40 CM HAC.

What are your opinions on which material - crinoline vs toile - wears better? Crinoline I have read in this forum is very snag prone, but boy does it look lovely. I prefer a little bit of every day wear for character..... in any case, would love your expert advice and opinions.... would this make a good workhorse bag? I live in Southern California so don't worry about seasonality.

TIA

U1679057.jpg

attachment.php

40 CM Birkin with Crinoline :heart::heart::heart:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230273051675

The toile birkin CAN be used as a workhorse if you want. They are slightly ligher than an all leather birkin. I would go for a colored toile like the jean toile or the khaki toile because things transfer easily onto the natural toile and you dont want the bag constantly at Spa being cleaned if this is going to be your workhorse.

I read on some thread here that Duet Consignment in NJ has some toile birkins right now. The 35 toile birkin they have is olive which is a great neutral. If you can pull the trigger right now, I would go for that one. (BTW, I am not affliated with them and have not seen these bags in person so caveat)

As for crinoline birkins, I thought very seriously about special ordering DiamondS's etoupe/etoupe crinoline birkin. I have seen this combo IRL (I doubt if it was hers since we live on opposite sides of the ocean) and its breathtaking. I dont usually stop and stare at other people's handbags but I did for this one. Never had a crinoline so cant tell you how it normally wears.

DSC00355.jpg

Rose - that kelly is SO elegant! I wish i could pull one off, but my lifestyle is too casual for a kelly. Do you worry about dirt on the crinoline or are you one of those blessed people that can keep creams and whites pristine?

Seton - there are a couple khaki toile's on ebay or luxury shops - cannot remember now, but they don't grab me the way the white toile/crinolin does. Now on the other hand, DiamondS's etoupe/etoupe crinolin - well let's just say my heart is palpitating at the picture. Funny you should mention Duet, I spoke to Lynn for about 45 minutes on Friday. She is lovely and the 35 Vert Olive Togo/Toile sounds really beautiful.... and the price is good too. They also have a 30 CM Barenia Toile. Sadly I cannot pull the trigger right now, or that trigger would be pulled - However, you never know, if the Gods are with me :graucho::graucho::graucho:

ChloeSS - Please order so I can live vicariously!

Pepper - I am going to do a search for pix of your bags. Lucky you to have two! Which do you prefer?

Zenith - The constant worry is exactly what I am afraid of. I don't want to become a bag-o-chondriac KWIM? I have a light colored BV and within the first few weeks got pen on the leather, forgot and wore it with dark something and got dye transfer.... these marks are more visible to me than anyone else, and i have learned to relax and enjoy my BV. For the investment there should be only joy!

Zenith - The constant worry is exactly what I am afraid of. I don't want to become a bag-o-chondriac KWIM? I have a light colored BV and within the first few weeks got pen on the leather, forgot and wore it with dark something and got dye transfer.... these marks are more visible to me than anyone else, and i have learned to relax and enjoy my BV. For the investment there should be only joy!

LOL! I had a green (not even considered light coloured!) BV before and I could not bear it when the corners starting getting slightly worn and that was all I could see on that bag :faint: Yeah, we need to relax.... :roflmfao:

I have horsehair like Rose's bag. I think it is hardier than the ridged crinoline because it does not pull as easily. I also have several toile pieces and can testify that it is very easy to clean. The toile is treated so a little soap and water on a towel is all I use to get the surface dirt off. Had to do this last week on my GP.

GK - soap/water/towel will do the trick? thats good to know....

Dolor - i think both crinoline and toile are classic Hermes pieces and you'll never go wrong whichever you choose. like any leather bag, of course we carry them with precaution to preserve their beauty and cleanliness! let us know what you decided!

I have a bunch of toile bags and I can't say enough good things about this material. Mind you, mine are all natural toile, so I don't know if what I say is true for the coloured toile but AFAIK the coloured toile behaves a bit different.
The natural toile is the easiest material in the world. I clean mine all the time. Like GK, I use soap and water OR Vanish Oxi Carpet Cleaner. Works like a charm. I had an accident yesterday with my GP and spilled Diet Coke over it but didn't have a tissue to wipe it off and it had to wait until I got home. No problem!
All my toile bags look brand spanking new even though I use them a lot. Toile rocks!!!
I love the look of Crinoline but I am not sure it would be so easy to clean. LOVE DiamondS's Crinoline Birkin, I think with a darker colour like this the whole idea could work.

I have a bunch of toile bags and I can't say enough good things about this material. Mind you, mine are all natural toile, so I don't know if what I say is true for the coloured toile but AFAIK the coloured toile behaves a bit different.
The natural toile is the easiest material in the world. I clean mine all the time. Like GK, I use soap and water OR Vanish Oxi Carpet Cleaner. Works like a charm. I had an accident yesterday with my GP and spilled Diet Coke over it but didn't have a tissue to wipe it off and it had to wait until I got home. No problem!
All my toile bags look brand spanking new even though I use them a lot. Toile rocks!!!
I love the look of Crinoline but I am not sure it would be so easy to clean. LOVE DiamondS's Crinoline Birkin, I think with a darker colour like this the whole idea could work.
thanks hello, i have a toile bag that i have hardly used because it is so beautiful i can't bear the thought of it getting dirty or color transfer.