Toile Birkin - worth it?

BTW, don't want to give the impression that I don't like the leather/toile Birkin. The fact is that I would love to have a barenia/toile 30cm anytime that anyone wants to gift me with one:P Or I could get a vintage one in perfect condition. I know...keep dreaming :girlsigh:

I think some of you are splitting hairs. If you pay thousands of dollars for a bag, I am not sure $300-400 is gonna make that much of a difference between an all-leather vs leather/toile.

Again, I say this as someone who has both all-leather and leather/toile birkins

Are you looking for value when you are spluring this kind of money?

I think some of you are splitting hairs. If you pay thousands of dollars for a bag, I am not sure $300-400 is gonna make that much of a difference between an all-leather vs leather/toile.

Again, I say this as someone who has both all-leather and leather/toile birkins

Are you looking for value when you are spluring this kind of money?

The potenial for really ruinous damage is very real with toile on any bag. It could be totally trashed and you would never want to carry it. So the point is spending $$$ for a bag that can be repaired easily or $$$ for a bag that could be ruined forever a lot faster. Also, leather costs more than toile so why should they be the same price?

actually, the toile costs more to produce than certain leathers (clemence, togo), as it is specially woven for Hermes, and they use the finest-grade linen (in the blend). And a toile combo bag requires more labour to produce (more pieces to stitch), therefore costs more labour-wise.

This info from my SA.

actually, the toile costs more to produce than certain leathers (clemence, togo), as it is specially woven for Hermes, and they use the finest-grade linen (in the blend). And a toile combo bag requires more labour to produce (more pieces to stitch), therefore costs more labour-wise.

This info from my SA.

All the more reason that I would slit my throat if something really nasty and permanent were to stain it:crybaby: I have a toile/leather trim and have been very lucky and happy with it, but the cost is far less than the Birkin.

The potenial for really ruinous damage is very real with toile on any bag. It could be totally trashed and you would never want to carry it. So the point is spending $$$ for a bag that can be repaired easily or $$$ for a bag that could be ruined forever a lot faster. Also, leather costs more than toile so why should they be the same price?

You can replace the toile. Have it sent back. For this kind of money that u spend on the bag, nothing is final. And who said that toile and aleather are the same price? Not in my experience

^^The toile of today is protected with a silicone finish, but it isn't kevlar and things can happen. It is very good for simple things, but not nasty things.

Replace the toile? You would have to take the whole bag apart. I would think the cost would make that prohibitive. Might as well buy a new bag.

Interesting thoughts....I know one good ink mark and it would be over...not sure if it's a good idea for me! Ack! Still wondering...if it was less that would make it easier lol!