TOGO Kelly's........

^^^^^^GT, you can feel the difference if the 2 bags were side by side. Like I explained earlier, I was playing with Bolides one day, one mou, one rigide. Same size, same leather, but it was clear there was something in there that added to the structure of the rigide. I had read somewhere that there is an extra layer of leather in the sellier Kellys and that was confirmed by the Boyz at Luxury-Zurich. You can feel the difference with the 2 bags, the sides of the rigide Bolide were thicker.

AH!!! it pays to read a little more.
okay there you go, extra layer of leather. :upsidedown: :upsidedown: :upsidedown:

^ almost. To get sellier mou, you must have soft leather, outside stitching and the bag is missing a layer of leather. THIS is what makes it foldable.

Regular Sellier has outside stitching, rigide OR souple leather and on more souple leathers, it's reinforced by adding extra "layers" to difine the shape. These bags do not and can not fold.

Also, Retourne Kellys can't fold.

a small aside -- i belive "sellier" means "saddler" and "selle" is "saddle." not all that important, really. unless you're in france and THINK you just said you want to sit on a saddle . . .
Oh, yeah, right!!!:flowers:

Speaking of sitting on saddles, you folks need to shop with DQ some time. It's a quick lesson on that unknown aspect of Hermes..................the equestrian goods. You know, the stuff Hermes started off making.:graucho: She gave me a quick lesson on tack and it went right over my head. She asked me if I was feeling well. I felt fine, I was just confused.:confused1: Cool stuff down in the dungeon of the Madison Avenue store. DQ was jumping on saddle after saddle, brandishing a whip a la Shopmom. I wish they would have let me take a picture. It would have been a great addition to the "Your Hermes in Action" thread.

That's why I am so in love with archangel's Sellier Kelly! I put the photo of her vert anis Sellier Kelly beside the photo of my vert anis Retourne Kelly, and I am drawn to her Kelly! I need a magic wand to turn my Retourne to be a Sellier! :roflmfao:

LOL just flip yours and then the stitching will be on the outside:nuts:

DQ was jumping on saddle after saddle, brandishing a whip a la Shopmom. I wish they would have let me take a picture. It would have been a great addition to the "Your Hermes in Action" thread.

Are you kidding HG?

That shot would go straight to the H-Anon thread. We who are soon about to err could use DQ as a disciplinarian! :P

So at the end of the day, Shopmom has a very cool and unusual Togo Sellier Mou! (I think)

:roflmfao: :roflmfao: :roflmfao:
omgd, you women are going to drive me to drink. this has been one of the funniest craziest threads ever and my head is spinning (could be the benadryl).
incredibly, i feel like i understand it now.
there are still only 2 types of stitching, but if they take out that extra bit of leather or do whatever they do - have a craftsman sit on it, etc. it will be transformed into mou, which is unique and beautiful indeed.

off to pick up dd now. looking forward to reading this some more later.

I too was always wondering this so a while back I made a special visit to Clsude in NY to ask about what the whole thing about MOU really meant. He said that a few years back, I think it must have been about 2000, Hermes introduced special Kellys, called MOU, which were supposed to fold up. There are not too many of them I think because the style was not successful at the time. Not all Kellys made from clemence or togo with outside stitching are Mou only if they were sold specifically as Mou to fold up. Then they discontinued doing that after a couple of years, until lo and behold thay are bringing it back again. Plus ca change plus c'est la meme chose!

I better keep my eye open for the Mou's then.

It sounds like a perfect bag for travel. Sometimes I want a dressier bag than what I bring on the plane, but worry about squashing a bag when I pack it in my luggage.

I recently "rolled up" a kelly at the shop:wtf: ...now I know what I was handling!
I like my kellys "extra hard" in box retourne,:yes: so that one in super soft togo really surprised me. When it "lied down" :sleepy: on the counter like shopmoms in picture #2 it looked funny to me. (like it had a hard night out, and needed a nap:tispy: ). I kept imagining it slumping down around all my stuff inside, and my things spilling on the floor! For a minute I thought they were trying to sell me a "lemmon":lol: As a travel kelly, well that makes sence! For that purpose I like it.

HOORRAAAYYYY!!!!!! We did it, girls! Figured it all out and now I know what the heck I'VE got AND the differences between Togo in Sellier and Retourne construction. Thank you, thank you and thank you again!

AVA.....the interesting thing about these "mou" kelly's is that though you think they'd slump over when full, they don't! Incredible but they don't. Here's mine full......no flopping over at all....

Attachments

• Togo1.jpg
    Togo1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: VertColSwift