TOGO Kelly's........

These are GREAT suggestions, GK. I remember Pete's blurb on LZ but he didn't go into the details of the construction....only said that it was a rare bag because of the folding ability.

....It would be fun to ask Claude.....I'm just so curious, now.

I'll try and explain; there are really 3 types of construction for a Kelly:

1) Sellier: new name for "Rigide", outside stitching, rigid bag, most formal looking.

2) Retourné: once known as "Souple", has inside stitching, more souple construction than the "Sellier" and less formal looking.

3) Sellier Mou: has outside stitching but is made only with the softer leathers
and therefore is the slouchiest of the three, and therefore the most casual looking.

So basically D., if you don't like slouchy bags, you should stick to Rigide or Sellier, not Sellier Mou....Did this make any sense ??

Yep, thank you D!

So, if I wanted a TOGO Kelly Sellier construction I can reasonably assume that it will NOT slouch at all while a TOGO Retourne will have a little slouch....right? (I'm used to only my bag so I don't know how the Sellier or Retourne behave in a soft leather......)

^ shopmom, your Kelly is actually a Togo Sellier Kelly, which is why it slouches the way it does. (hence the name Kelly MOU)

What you want is a Sellier Kelly in say chevre, swift, box, epsom, vache liegee, so they will not slouch.

And yes, a Retourne (inside stitching) Togo will slouch a little over time - my 32cm Vert Anis Kelly is a Retourne in Togo.

That first Togo Kelly of yours is such a sexy bag!! I have been eyeing/considering Luxwear's White Kelly Sellier Mou on ebay and I never even considered myself much of a Kelly fan.

I just checked out Luxwear's White Kelly - the picture does not seem to match the description. That Kelly is a Retourne with inside stitching (check out the outside leather piping), and nothing like a Kelly Sellier Mou (this one's in clemence). Has a wrong picture been put up or has the wrong description been used????:confused1:

I'll try and explain; there are really 3 types of construction for a Kelly:

1) Sellier: new name for "Rigide", outside stitching, rigid bag, most formal looking.

2) Retourné: once known as "Souple", has inside stitching, more souple construction than the "Sellier" and less formal looking.

3) Sellier Mou: has outside stitching but is made only with the softer leathers
and therefore is the slouchiest of the three, and therefore the most casual looking.

So basically D., if you don't like slouchy bags, you should stick to Rigide or Sellier, not Sellier Mou....Did this make any sense ??

Duna,

I would think a Togo sellier mou would slouch less than a Togo retourne since sellier mou is more rigid in construction due to outside stitching even though the leather is soft. Is that correct or am I wrong? :confused1:

Hey Gigi

I went to look at the posts you mentioned but I'm still confused.

I saw a togo Kelly with outside stitching, so I assume that is a sellier. It also felt and looked pretty darn structured to me. Or does the slouch only come with a bit more use? :confused1:
WN, I agree it's VERY confusing...:shrugs: I'm definitely no expert but I think as with every brand new H bag, it will be a little "stiff" initially, with a bit more use, it will soften or slouch. As to how much it will slouch - that's where the construction comes in.

About a year ago, I asked a Hermes SA what type of leather would make a sellier Kelly ( as in my intepretation of Sellier = outside stitch + soft leather ) and she said Gulliver. But she added that Hermes had discontinued Gulliver and sellier Kelly are not common.

With the come back of Swift and the Kelly Flat (that foldable Kelly), maybe we'll see more of of such Kellys..:rolleyes:

ETA: I'll have to add that those terms were somewhat "outdated" & no longer used by Hermes. Based on what I read recently (posts by HG, Duna), Hermes now call their Kelly "Sellier" - for rigid, and "Retourne" for Souple.

oops...forgot to post picture... there is no slouching at all..

197597549.jpg

WN, I agree it's VERY confusing...:shrugs: I'm definitely no expert but I think as with every brand new H bag, it will be a little "stiff" initially, with a bit more use, it will soften or slouch. As to how much it will slouch - that's where the construction comes in.

About a year ago, I asked a Hermes SA what type of leather would make a sellier Kelly ( as in my intepretation of Sellier = outside stitch + soft leather ) and she said Gulliver. But she added that Hermes had discontinued Gulliver and sellier Kelly are not common.

With the come back of Swift and the Kelly Flat (that foldable Kelly), maybe we'll see more of of such Kellys..:rolleyes:

Gigi

Thanks for the further explanation. (Which is confusing me still further, but maybe that's to do with the MossWood I had at lunch??) The Kelly I saw looked just like Archangel's ie very stiff.

So, in my confused state, this is what I'm reading into the togo Kelly -
1.it's stiff initially because the leather is new
2.it will probably slouch somewhat over time because togo is a relatively soft leather
3.but it won't slouch all that much because the outside stitching gives it more structure

I hope I've got it right. My brain's on overload mode at the moment. :s

I'm thinking that maybe archangel's really is a Rigid Kelly! :smile:

I remembered Hermesgroupie recently posted that rigid Kellys maintain their shape/stiffness because of an extra layer of leather...let me see if I can find that post...