TODs 101 - need a little help about the basics

jburgh

BV ~ Ferragamo ~ TODs
O.G.
Aug 17, 2007
Hi TODs members. I recently got my first TODs bag (has not arrived yet) and realized that I am a total noob when it comes to the TODs bags. I asked Vlad if I could build you guys a style reference library. The answer was yes, but that was the easy part. I know nothing about these bag styles and their categories, leathers, colors, etc.

The purpose of this thread is to be a collection of information that will help newbies learn about the brand. I have some questions for the die-hard fans.

What is the history of the brand? When were the bags and shoes introduced? Did men's come first or later on?

What are the major styles in this brand? Are there styles that are considered iconic and made every season? How are the bags categorized? For example in Jimmy Choo there are several Tulita bags that share identifying characteristics.

What is a T-Bag, a G-Bag, and a D-Bag?

What is a Pashmy? A Miky?

Do the bags that stores buy the same as the TODs boutiques or are the offerings different?

Oh...there is so much to learn? TIA

Hi TODs members. I recently got my first TODs bag (has not arrived yet) and realized that I am a total noob when it comes to the TODs bags. I asked Vlad if I could build you guys a style reference library. The answer was yes, but that was the easy part. I know nothing about these bag styles and their categories, leathers, colors, etc.

The purpose of this thread is to be a collection of information that will help newbies learn about the brand. I have some questions for the die-hard fans.

What is the history of the brand? When were the bags and shoes introduced? Did men's come first or later on?

What are the major styles in this brand? Are there styles that are considered iconic and made every season? How are the bags categorized? For example in Jimmy Choo there are several Tulita bags that share identifying characteristics.

What is a T-Bag, a G-Bag, and a D-Bag?

What is a Pashmy? A Miky?

Do the bags that stores buy the same as the TODs boutiques or are the offerings different?

Oh...there is so much to learn? TIA

I'm swamped right now, but wanted to at least get this thread moving w/some initial comments. The classic TOD'S bag is the D-bag. Some say it was made for and named after Lady Diana, though I've heard dispute about this. TOD'S sometimes modifies the D-bag from season to season. It is made in these sizes: piccola (small), media (medium), and grande (large). It has primarily been produced in leather. Some of the leathers are pebbled, and others have a sheen. TOD'S is known for fine pebbled leather.

Don't have a photo handy of the earlier D-bags, but they have been posted in other threads here. The major difference between the earlier D-bags and the Restyling-D is the hardware. For the Restyling-D, the handles are attached by hardware. The D-bag has been produced in a number of versions, including north-south & east-west. The east-west is the more iconic version. There is also a Rounded-D.

The Pashmy is a specific TOD'S line. Some think the Pashmy is a nylon bag. While the best-known Pashmys are nylon, this bag was also produced in beautiful soft leather. All the Pashmys are light-weight.

One of the most popular TOD'S bags ever has been the G-bag. It is produced in leather and in coated canvas––in media and grande. The coated canvas bags have been produced in a north-south version and an east-west version; however, the east-west in coated canvas has not available in the U.S. boutiques. (The leather east-west G-bag has been available in the U.S.)

Left to right: Restyling D-bag; Rounded D-bag; Pashmy nylon bags, including Shopping grande, and 2 Bauletto grande; G-bag coated canvas grande

Attachments

• Restyling D-bag.jpg
    Restyling D-bag.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 789
  • Rounded D.jpg
    Rounded D.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 709
  • Pashmy nylon, including D and Bauletto.jpg
    Pashmy nylon, including D and Bauletto.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 756
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 690
  • image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 656
Last edited:
(I don't have a T-bag, but I'm fairly certain there are T-bag photos in some of the other threads. You might want to run a search to check.)

left to right:

Miky Nomade grande next to Restyling-D media, Helmet/Helmut, New D-bag, Shade (new for 2010), Shopping Grande in coated canvas

Attachments

• image007.jpg
    image007.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 756
  • Helmet:Helmut.jpg
    Helmet:Helmut.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 712
  • image011.jpg
    image011.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 661
  • Shade.jpg
    Shade.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 675
  • SGG.jpg
    SGG.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 649
Last edited:
jburgh, meant to congratulate you on your first TOD'S! Can't wait for your reveal. Welcome to the TOD'S family! These are gorgeous, classic bags. Think you will love yours. BTW, I think the idea of a reference thread is excellent.

I remember when my first TOD'S arrived. I was ecstatic. And the members of tPF really helped me discover more about the styles, sizes, and colors. Happy to pass along the knowledge, though I don't consider myself an absolute expert. The TOD'S subforum is filled with valuable information.

Insofar as the offerings in the department stores and the boutiques, I have sometimes seen bags in one place that have not been available in the other, so it's always worthwhile to check both types of resources. Also, the TOD'S outlets have wonderful sales, and they sometimes receive styles that have not been available in the U.S. So, it's a good idea to establish a relationship with a favorite outlet SA. I think we have a few threads here w/information about the outlets, but feel free to ask questions.

Again, welcome!

Wow thanks swan1, enjoyed the info. I've admired and purchased Tod's bag for years, and appreciate your knowledge.

Longchamp, thanks for your kind comments. As I'm sure you know, those of us who are TOD'S lovers are truly smitten! And it's a pleasure to share the information. I haven't checked other threads, and I don't remember off-hand: Could you let us know which TOD'S you have––and which are your favorites?

Here is a brief history of the brand, excerpted from various sources:

Tod’s “Gommino” driving shoe is a classic. Not bad going since 1978 when one very shrewd Italian, Diego Della Valle, launched his first pairs.

Diego grew up surrounded by leather and shoe making. His father’s factory operated since the 1940’s in Casette d’Ete, in the Marche district near Ancona. Although he studied law, Diego was more interested in other stuff, like bars and football, and never became a lawyer. He got involved in the family business in the mid seventies. In 1978 he launched his driving shoe inspired by styles from the 1950s. The name J.P.Tod’s was selected from the Boston phone directory on the merit that it sounded good in all languages. Later the J.P. was dropped, as it was confusing for some markets. Resisting the merger and acquisitions rush of the Nineties, he and younger brother Andrea took the company public in 2000.

Della Valle wanted The Gommino to function as a versatile item, effortlessly taking the wearer from professional to casual environments. 133 tiny rubber pebbles afford the grip and flexibility for driving, while the all-leather sole construction delivers the level of comfort synonymous with the shoe. It was always intended as an understated item. “Tod’s is not for fashion victims who want to change their look every season; our products are for modern consumers who need practical luxury for their day-to-day lives,” says Diego. Thus he chose imagery from an aspirational American life, such as photos of McQueen and Hepburn to tie his products to what he calls a “piccolo sogno,” or little dream.

DDV’s philosophy encompasses: “Refined, understated luxury, impeccable taste and enviable quality.” Tod’s operates meticulous quality control. 100 processes go into making a pair of Gommini, and all are monitored very closely.

Bags were added to the product range in 1997. All of Tod’s products are made in Italy, though about half are sold abroad. The empire also includes sports shoe brand Hogan, casual wear label Fay and the recently acquired French accessories house, Roger Vivier.

Thanks so much swan1 and kbalag, I just love reading about those interesting little bits of info. I have to admit I am relatively new to Tods and didn't know what the difference was between the D bag and restyled D bag (and admittedly, I was too embarrassed to ask). And I equally love learning about a company's history!

I think this thread was a really nice idea OP!

i love this thread. I always admire Tod's as growing up, but too pricey for my pocket at the time every time i passed by the tod's boutique in South coast plaza to go to my regular Coach store. Now, i am Tod's converted. Where is our Tod's queen LT Bag lady, she is the one that brought me to Tod's world. Are you in hiding? Hope you could contribute your lovely Tod's family here.?

The Pashmy is a specific TOD'S line. Some think the Pashmy is a nylon bag. While the best-known Pashmys are nylon, this bag was also produced in beautiful soft leather.
On that point I was in error for some time. I thought Pashmy=nylon bag. Thanks to tPF I'm no longer wrong.

I love this thread.
:love: I am really grateful.

Great info! I have been an appreciator of this label for a few years now. This is a very much under the radar but high quality brand. I look forward to more info/photos. Will add some of mine in the reference library.