To what extent are you influenced by the forum?

I really find it fun to read the Hermes forum, but this forum has not made me want to own an Hermes bag myself :P.

This forum has taught me that some people will consider me an uneducated Philistine for holding the above point of view (I'm not; actually I have 12 years of tertiary education behind me) but so be it.

What I like most about the forum are the threads in which people show the bags in their real lives...for example "Ilovemylife"'s Paris wardrobe thread is stunning. She really makes her bags work for her and complete her outfits, rather than expecting them to speak for her and act as characters in their own right.

However, I too choose bags that suit my style and personality, and those are mostly not Hermes. I also take my time choosing, don't buy a new bag every week and don't just buy something because it's "hot". I also consider quality of materials and workmanship to be paramount. But thus far I have not been "grabbed" by Hermes.

I love the camaraderie among the women in this forum, and I love the baby showers:smile:.

I really find it fun to read the Hermes forum, but this forum has not made me want to own an Hermes bag myself :P.

This forum has taught me that some people will consider me an uneducated Philistine for holding the above point of view (I'm not; actually I have 12 years of tertiary education behind me) but so be it.

What I like most about the forum are the threads in which people show the bags in their real lives...for example "Ilovemylife"'s Paris wardrobe thread is stunning. She really makes her bags work for her and complete her outfits, rather than expecting them to speak for her and act as characters in their own right.

However, I too choose bags that suit my style and personality, and those are mostly not Hermes. I also take my time choosing, don't buy a new bag every week and don't just buy something because it's "hot". I also consider quality of materials and workmanship to be paramount. But thus far I have not been "grabbed" by Hermes.

I love the camaraderie among the women in this forum, and I love the baby showers:smile:.

Ahh Quirky your a doll

Glad your hear

;);)

I'm new to the Forum and have found it to be an eye-opening experience. I have always wanted either an Kelly or Birkin (only have scarves at present), but all this talk about having to suck up to SA's and having to prove ones worthiness to be allowed to by a handbag are a BIG turn-off for me.
So, last week when I was in NYC with my grown daughter, I bought her a handbag at Lederer (looks like the Birkin). It's a gorgeous bag and beautifully made, and it cost a LOT less than an Hermes, even though it was a very expensive handbag to my thinking. I love beautiful things but turning them into a "religion" is not my cup of tea.

It seems that most on the fourm also prefer togo to clemence (based on a poll that I did recently). ...however once I had a togo bag for a bit and the clemence, I found that I like togo (only the unveined type) but prefer clemence.

Its interesting that you mention this, as I was just thinking this morning about how I used to say togo was my favorite leather, clemence second, but this year, it completely reversed - the batch of clemence that came out in 2007 is absolutely astounding. Although clemence has always been beautiful, the clemence in bags coming out in 2007 has been far superior, in my humble opinion, to the prior years. Its more matte, less slouchy, less thick, just the right amount of grainy. It would be enough to make anybody a "clemence convert." Ive already passed togo twice in favor of clemence this year.

I am really loving this thread by the way, every post has been interesting and well written.

This forum is a very bad influence!

I can't stand seeing all the glorious new purchases coming up regularly, it makes me wanna go out and just buy more bags, LOL!

Sometimes I can't stand it so much I feel like I have to lay low for a bit till I buy something new. I love showing off my new babies and I love seeing the other ladies' new babies too.

Of course I am influenced about the leather/hardware/styles, but knowing my luck (how I don't have a SA and my chances of buying a birkin/kelly direct from H is thru barging in to H in France myself) I will take what I can get.

To sum up, this forum is a bad influence, the ladies are great, is addictive, and I freaking love it!

I have learned a lot from this Forum; about leathers, colours ecc...but my original preferences haven't changed: I prefered smooth leathers, especially Box, to textured ones, with the exception of Clemence, and I still do; I still don't like Ostrich and I still don't like Fuschia, blue jean and most bright colours.I'm not a Croc fanatic, I would like a Matte croc Birkin some day, but that's it. So while I haven't really been influenced as far as bags go, I have totally changed my views about scarves. Where I live H scarves are only worn by old ladies, so I only had a few that I had been given over the years, but never wore them. Now I buy several each season, and wear them very often. And I like to collect them, just the ones I like, so I'm no REAL collector, but still.....And finally, as others have said, this Forum is much too addictive!:rolleyes:

Has this blog ever changed your opinion of a bag, a color, a leather? Due to this forum I am more educated about bags, leather, and colors. Probably the biggest influence was on my love of vert anis. First that such a vibrant, beautiful color is available and second that I would consider carrying a bag in that color.

Led you either to like something or dislike something, buy or request something or take it off your shopping list? I didn't know the picotin was available in the MM size until I saw AuthenticLux's pics then I knew I had to have one.

Conversely, have you found yourself resistant to certain consensus views on the forum? Not really. Although there are skins and colors that don't suit me, I love seeing them on other people.

This post is amazing.

I felt the same way for a while, but I must admit I sometimes succomb to it-or blingy things sometimes because I like them (and it's my style) and other times because I like to see the reactions they provoke. Shows other sides of people than you'd expect. ;)

I took a few risks...met some incredible women...discovered my favorite leather/s...purchased a bag in COLOR (opportunity purchase connected to meeting w/ incredible women)...had a few "learning opportunities" connected to thinking outside the box (scarves, colored accessories)...continue to meet and develop "true" friendship w/ some fabulous women (and a man...can't leave him out)...have some great bags that are perfect for me...life is good...

Great question, jedimaster! I stumbled across this forum from a recommedation from a power seller on eBay and love the commraderie, support and of course all the information. My Hermes affection began seven years ago and while my tastes have 'evolved' the forum has helped me accurately label what I like but hasn't changed my mind. However, I appreciate all the comments and posts and if I had a question over which size would be best or leather or color for the season, I would definately post for feedback--the ladies and gents are positive and constructive with a desire to offer effective advice. Certianly, Hermesgroupie's vast listing of the leathers has assisted greatly in helping me finalize the leather I want for a new Birkin (I can't stand scratches so Box is out for me) and ilovemylife's collection has been a great entertainment. This site is very well layed out and the posters very supportive. :wlae:

Has this blog ever changed your opinion of a bag, a color, a leather?
Yes, tPF has opened my eyes to new combinations, colors & textures and style of bags.

Led you either to like something or dislike something, buy or request something or take it off your shopping list?
I've learned how to tie scarves in a "professional" manner thanks to Rose & Maggie. I thought that enamel bracelets were not for me; now I cannot get enough of them. TPF has also led me to appreciate H items that while may not be right for me are perfect for others.

Conversely, have you found yourself resistant to certain consensus views on the forum?
I've been influenced in some areas but still like neutral, stiff bags. I love to see others with bright bags but my rainbows stay inside my bag.

Although I don't feel that my personal buying decisions have really been affected by tPF, the forum has made a big difference in the way I think about Hermes in general. For one thing, I have been enlightened many times over (and I thought I knew a lot before coming here!). I'm much more open minded about certain styles or colors of H bags that I had I never previously considered. I can't think of anything that I previously liked that I am now negative toward, so I guess that's a "nothing" for the negative influence.

Related, but I'm not sure how or why: I'm much more keen-eyed regarding condition of preowned bags, for some reason, and I'm not exactly what part of participating in this forum has made me that way.

Great thread idea, by the way!

For the most part, my original preferences for certain style bags, leathers, and colors have not changed (except for the JPG clutch--I was influenced by the eye candy in that thread!). Not living near a store I would say that the forum almost acts as an Hermes sub-online shopping site for me when it comes to scarves and smaller accessories. There are things that my SA may describe to me over the phone, but until I see it fleshed out in a photo here or modeled, it can be difficult for me to decide.

The forum definitely opened my eyes to bag inserts and the great practicality of a Longchamp Pliages.

I think from the beginning it changed my whole perception of Hermes. I started lurking here last year all ready to just buy a Birkin through a reseller and be done with it. Then I sort of backed out that decision as I wanted to get the full Hermes experience, get to know leathers, obsess over colors, hardware, styles etc. I'm so glad I did as now I have a variety of bags I never would have considered before. That would never have happened without the forum :heart: