To wear or not to wear - which LV to bring to Madrid

mouseptrolix

May 7, 2008
I am going on a business trip next week to Madrid and Barcelona, and will have some limited time for sight seeing as well.

My LVs are my most trusted travel companions, but having heard horror stories about mugging and pickpocketing in these beautiful two cities, I am wondering: to wear LV or not to wear?

My options are:

Luco tote - my trusty laptop carry on

PLUS

Metis pochette cross body for every day
OR
Damier Ebene Evora for every day

Alternatively, I can take a non branded nylon computer bag plus a crossbody coach Willis, in British Tan, to stay low key....

What to do????

Hi there!

My husband and I spent 10 days in Granada and Madrid this past June. I took my Palermo GM everywhere with me and just made sure to have it zipped up and on my shoulder and never once had any qualms about being mugged. I think you just want to be mindful of those around you and have your bag next to you at all times. Enjoy yourself and if you have a chance, enjoy the chocolate y churros (although I prefer the porras)! :biggrin:
Maria ()"o)

I am going on a business trip next week to Madrid and Barcelona, and will have some limited time for sight seeing as well.

My LVs are my most trusted travel companions, but having heard horror stories about mugging and pickpocketing in these beautiful two cities, I am wondering: to wear LV or not to wear?

My options are:

Luco tote - my trusty laptop carry on

PLUS

Metis pochette cross body for every day
OR
Damier Ebene Evora for every day

Alternatively, I can take a non branded nylon computer bag plus a crossbody coach Willis, in British Tan, to stay low key....

What to do????
I spent about 2 weeks in Madrid and the Andalucia region, and I did a lot of walking. In Madrid, taking the train is a big help, but you'll still need a sort of carryall that you can put essentials in when getting around, like a bottle of water, hand sanitizer, wipes, etc.
And I'm sure you know, that stuff can start to weigh a lot.

A couple of weeks ago I used the larger Metis in NYC, and carried it on my shoulder.
I don't know if any of the bags you've named will be large enough to carry the essentials during the day.
Maybe you should include a backpack.

Enjoy Spain!

Be careful regardless of which bag you choose to carry. Even if you bring a low key bag, you could be targeted. Just be aware of your surroundings and the people around you, make sure your bags are zipped up and have fun! I think a cross body would definitely be the best option.

Oh my gosh, sounds so uncomfortable. From what I am reading on travel advisory sites - one has to watch everything like a hawk, the cell phone can be ripped out of your hands, you need to tie the bag around your body while sitting in a cafe, bag straps can be cut off, bags can be sliced to get the contents fall out, the checked luggage is unsafe, etc, etc...

This is insane.... I am so worried about bringing any nice bags, at this point. I dont want my lovely bags to be cut!!!!! Or stolen.... :sad:

I heard these horrible stories what could have happen to a bag many times and almost about every big city. The same I heard about Rome where we went last week. I had my Mahina there, Mahina XS with a zipper. OK, I was still having it under my armpit, holding it tight if got into a crowd, but nothing happened.
I love my LV bags and I wanted to enjoy my trip with a LV bag. I was a little afraid, but I risked it and now I am happy to see my Mahina or Eva on the photos taken there.
Enjoy your trip!!
Madrid is a wonderful city, I loved those four days that I spent there five years ago...

I went to Barcelona this summer and after reading all the horrible stories of crime. I decided not to take any LV bags with me. I ended up using a Marc by Marc Jacobs Natasha crossbody bag. Wanted to appear as low profile as possible (using my LV monogram would is just too flashy) dressed like the locals, didn't hold a big map while looking for directions, didn't wear much jewelry too - basically followed all the tourist precautions found on websites. Plus I also wanted to enjoy the city while sightseeing last thing I wanted was to constantly worry about my LV bag.
If you end up shopping at designer boutiques i suggest carrying an extra bag(recycle/usable) with you that way you can put the shopping bags in there. Last thing you want is thieves seeing you carry LV, Gucci, etc shopping bags and you are basically a TARGET ! Just be cautious and aware of your surroundings. We were thankful nothing bad happened to us.
Barcelona is a beautiful city and would definitely go back. Enjoy yourself and just be street smart 😊