To those that said "With the increases, I'll just save for Hermes"

^^^ I think you get all sorts of SAs and 'rules' regardless of the brand, unfortunately.

Case in point - took Birkin to Hermes (not purchased from this store) to enquire about having it spa'ed and the SA just said "sure, we'll send it off to London whenever you are ready". No questions asked.

By comparison, rang the new Chanel concession that opened here last week about having a bag repaired. The SA asked me where I got it from and then said I could bring it in. I brought it in, after ignoring us for a while another SA asked where I got it from and then said I'll have to either get to London or post the bag to a boutique myself and they couldn't do it for me because they were a concession. Why they couldn't tell me that over the phone I don't know :Push: In the end Mr L was starting to whinge about the bad service so I had to promise him we'll go to Hermes next to restore his faith in good service.

I love Chanel bag because I think its timeless since the first time I realized what Chanel bag is...flap is already there..and until now flap is still here and still rockin'... but I always had a target that I'm gonna buy my first Birkin bag when I'm on my 30s..so it will be couple years from now and I'm saving for it... I love it because its so classic and even I use it now or even 10 years later..won't make me looks 'so last year' or so vintage..both bags I love and timeless...I really want to have bag with great craftmanship not because its pricey and for social status...eventhough where I live Birkin bag is something you should have just like Rolex..

Yes, its scary isnt it!! In the end, we have to come here to discuss these purchases since most people from "the outside" would think its INSANE!! LOL..

This is so true, my friends "from the outside" would think I lost it if they knew what I paid for my bags. I tell very few people.

I think the main sentiment is that while in the past you might have liked both brands, you couldn't quite justify Hermes because you could buy several bags for the price of one Hermes. These days you'll be lucky to get 3 so you are not getting as many bags for your money. That's my guess anyway, not sure if it makes sense :lol:

This is exactly how I feel :yes:

For me personally, Hermes designs don't do anything for me yet. I guess since I'm still young, Chanel fits the criteria for what I want out of a bag. Perhaps when I'm older (and my wallet is fatter) I'll graduated to Hermes.

Chanel suits me perfectly. :yes:

^:nogood: I'm 47 and young at heart. When I was your age, I used to think when I was older I'd wear my hair short like my Mom did at my age but my hair is now past shoulder length. Sure tastes can change with age, wisdom and experience, but my basic style (casual, comfortable with a little bit of trendy thrown in) hasn't changed since my teens and early 20's.

^I know exactly what you mean. I honestly don't think I'll ever graduate to Hermes. I mean, perhaps my tastes will change when I get older. For me though, Chanel is something that fits me now and I can picture myself wearing my Chanels for the years and years to come. I tend to buy things I know I will wear in the future, and not only bags I will wear now. Hermes is a great brand, but it's just not "me". Maybe that will change, who knows.

Hermes makes many wonderful leather goods that aren't bags - they have some really adorable clutches and wallets that a lot of younger people can wear with ease - check out the Jige in a bright color or the Kelly Pochette, which is a very small version of the Kelly bag. There's a Kelly wallet as well, and many other wonderful things that you can try out to carry in your Chanels for years to come :smile:

Chanel > Hermes, I don't care how much Hermes costs, their bags are just not as pretty as Chanel's bags!

i so agree =] i'm willing to put money into this statement, if an hermes costs 2000-3000 dollars almost no one would want one anymore. all the celebrities and other women want them because its a "status bag" that shows you can afford to put down 7-10k for a handbag. don't get me wrong, the leathers and colors hermes uses are indeed THE best and their quality is super, but its not like our chanels and louis vuittons fall apart. i've been using my chanels and louis vuittons for school, work, beat them to death, and they feel like they were definitely very well made. so who cares if its handmade? with a bag that expensive, i wouldn't want to put anything but a wallet in it, thus defeatin the purpose of a handbag. i mean usually women who own hermes handbags would surely treat them with utmost care, therefore, we all get the impression that hermes handbags are indestrutiable and are the BEST quality. but do we really know that? no, heck no. try treating an 8k hermes the same as a 2k chanel, or 2k louis vuitton the same as a $300 Coach, we will THINK the vuitton or hermes is better made because we treat it better, not because it IS better. sure, it would be nice to own a handbag entirely handmade, but its not even a great looking handbag. the birkin is just another tote. i really don't mean to offend anyone who absolutely LOVES hermes, but that's just how i feel. and i didn't mean to write such a long reply either... sorry =]

i so agree =] but its not like our chanels and louis vuittons fall apart. i've been using my chanels and louis vuittons for school, work, beat them to death, and they feel like they were definitely very well made. so who cares if its handmade? with a bag that expensive, i wouldn't want to put anything but a wallet in it, thus defeatin the purpose of a handbag.

Wow, that is so funny. I just had this SAME conversation with my neighbor the other day as she defended her Coach and Dooney bags compared to a Chanel bag. And I said to her "Ya gotta own one to know the difference".

So you see, its all relative.

So at the end of the day, no one is right and no one is wrong. As long as we buy what we like who cares how much it cost. We all have different tastes. ;)

love your answer! point is: who cares how much it costs, hermes is not for me and some people, its about each person's different tastes. if some people want to spend 8k on an hermes, let them, you can't compare a chanel to an hermes. they are just SO different.

i so agree =] i'm willing to put money into this statement, if an hermes costs 2000-3000 dollars almost no one would want one anymore. all the celebrities and other women want them because its a "status bag" that shows you can afford to put down 7-10k for a handbag. don't get me wrong, the leathers and colors hermes uses are indeed THE best and their quality is super, but its not like our chanels and louis vuittons fall apart. i've been using my chanels and louis vuittons for school, work, beat them to death, and they feel like they were definitely very well made. so who cares if its handmade? with a bag that expensive, i wouldn't want to put anything but a wallet in it, thus defeatin the purpose of a handbag. i mean usually women who own hermes handbags would surely treat them with utmost care, therefore, we all get the impression that hermes handbags are indestrutiable and are the BEST quality. but do we really know that? no, heck no. try treating an 8k hermes the same as a 2k chanel, or 2k louis vuitton the same as a $300 Coach, we will THINK the vuitton or hermes is better made because we treat it better, not because it IS better. sure, it would be nice to own a handbag entirely handmade, but its not even a great looking handbag. the birkin is just another tote. i really don't mean to offend anyone who absolutely LOVES hermes, but that's just how i feel. and i didn't mean to write such a long reply either... sorry =]

Again I state: Hermes is more than the Birkin and Kelly. Kellys can get up to 10k but most of them are cheaper. It depends on the leather or skin. Many bags are 4k or less, in the range of Chanel. If someone came onto this forum and said 'EW, the Chanel flap is GROSS and not even that special of a bag' and talked about Chanel as if they only had one thing to offer, you would probably want the person to learn that there is much more to Chanel than one iconic bag! Right? I mean, I would...there is much more to Chanel that is beautiful.
Everyone wants to focus on the it bags but the truth is, while they have begun to define the brand, the companies have much more to offer.

I encourage people to at least learn more about H and the other products they have to offer before they start tearing down the Birkin (which is NOT for everyone, trust me!!!!)

The women that have H and use it, definitely USE it. They store their bags nicely and don't drop them in a puddle or anything, but once they get over the initial 'OMG this bag is so nice', they use them just as we use whatever other bags we have.

As far as I'm concerned, Chanel vastly surpasses Louis Vuitton, honestly I'm not sure why everyone is so impressed with LV. Maybe I should ask the ladies and gents on the LV forum to explain to me what is so fab that I may have missed! :lol:
I'm not in any position to own Chanel or H yet, but I'm getting there, and I'd much rather save for a Chanel than an LV.

I just think when talking about H vs Chanel we are talking about apples and oranges.
Luxury brands, yes, but with totally different niches to fill. I don't think it necessarily has to do with age, but more like the style of the people that carry them. Many do own both brands and wear them with panache, but some people may only fit into one style and stick with it, that is totally fine.

Me, I'll end up with everything from Coach to Chanel to H by the time I'm through, and yes I'll put my Coach wristlet in my Lindy or Sharpei! :roflmfao: