Tech To Snow Leopard or not to Snow Leopard?

hollywoodbadgrl

PURSE WH@R3
O.G.
May 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hi, I just got my first Mac Mini a few days ago and I noticed that it is sluggish and I keep getting the spinning beach balls several times a day. I am currently running leopard 10.5.8 and I was wondering if I should upgrade to Snow Leopard? Hope my specs help.

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: PowerMac10,1
Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Processor Speed: 1.42 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 1
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.9f1

annanas

O.G.
Jul 15, 2006
i would've said more RAM but that particular mac mini only supports up to 1GB :thinking: did you get the computer used? the easiest thing might be to just back up your files and do an erase-install from the computer's restore disk, there could be some (or a lot!) of old system files clogging things up.

Odette

<3 life
O.G.
Aug 20, 2007
www.twitter.com
^Ditto. Back up any files (like music or documents) that you have on there now, and do a clean install of the OS (provided you have the install disc). There are a lot of websites that show you how to do this via Disk Utility.

hollywoodbadgrl

PURSE WH@R3
O.G.
May 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
It was used and all cleaned up when I got it. I think it's just gonna be my slow starter mac but that's ok. I am still happy with it for now until I am able to save up for a new one.

RaeBelle

The Commish
O.G.
Jan 15, 2008
hockey-gasm
Unfortunately, Apple removed support for the Power PC processors, like the G4, with Snow Leopard. But it looks like the OP already knew that, oops

onegirlcreative

Daddy's Little Girl
Feb 11, 2008
Dovunque voglia andare
Upgrade that RAM.
i was just going to suggest that. my laptop has a 1.5 GHz processor but i also have 2 GB of RAM and it runs very well. but i also don't use it for anything more than internet browsing, etc.

and btw, even though you cannot upgrade to snow leopard, upgrading to a current version of an OS is not necessarily the best thing to do, unless you have a decent processor and RAM.