To Shorten or Not to Shorten

NurseAnn

O.G.
Apr 10, 2009
I am so very lucky to have purchased the 5motif VA in YG. My lovely SA even included a box of LaDuree macarons. She recommended that I take out two links but I couldn’t decide so I took it home as is to think on it. The sizing bracelets I tried on were a helpful visual tool. I’m of three minds with this decision: leave as is, take out two links, take out four.

-Leaving as is would allow for greatest flexibility in the future if I decide to grow my collection. It could be used as an extender with the spacing not being very off from the 10 & 20 motif necklaces. This length does not fall off my wrist but does have a bit of slack. My wrist is too big to allow me to clip behind a motif and let it dangle or this would be such an easy decision.

-Removing 2 links would allow for the VA bracelet to have some slack without running into things. It did, however, have enough slack to still cross over/rub my Cartier Love bracelet. Would this length make using it as an extender look too off?

-Removing 4 links kept the VA bracelet from running over the top of my Love bracelet but also had very little slack. This could be the least worrisome length because it would be closer to my wrist, but will that look as good? It doesn’t seem like this length could be used as an extender, but please correct me if I’m wrong.

Please share any and all thoughts that you have. Did you shorten and wish you hadn’t? Any other tricks to get the length I want without altering it? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 8A984E08-C5E6-41D0-BE77-C09660F9BA19.jpeg
    8A984E08-C5E6-41D0-BE77-C09660F9BA19.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 734
  • 95A3D389-1D9E-4E52-8478-3C6808016F4D.jpeg
    95A3D389-1D9E-4E52-8478-3C6808016F4D.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 835
  • CD37EED5-C53F-4C42-8416-B4323A45E0AD.jpeg
    CD37EED5-C53F-4C42-8416-B4323A45E0AD.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 850
Mine fits the way yours does and I left it. If it bothers you or gets in the way of what you do on a daily basis, then I would shorten it. But as with anything else, it depends on how it feels. My mom likes everything loose so she can push it up on her arm. I tend to be the opposite, but something about this bracelet made me want to leave it long. Sometimes I worry about one piece scratching another when I stack, but really it's unavoidable. And all it means is that I loved my pieces enough to wear them. :smile: Congrats, it's beautiful on you!

Mine fits the way yours does and I left it. If it bothers you or gets in the way of what you do on a daily basis, then I would shorten it. But as with anything else, it depends on how it feels. My mom likes everything loose so she can push it up on her arm. I tend to be the opposite, but something about this bracelet made me want to leave it long. Sometimes I worry about one piece scratching another when I stack, but really it's unavoidable. And all it means is that I loved my pieces enough to wear them. :smile: Congrats, it's beautiful on you!

I tend to be like you as well and this is really the only bracelet I’ve ever considered not shortening. Thank you for your helpful feedback. I’m so glad it’s working well for you as is.

I tend to be like you as well and this is really the only bracelet I’ve ever considered not shortening. Thank you for your helpful feedback. I’m so glad it’s working well for you as is.
I have the same bracelet in RG. It is my first and I shortened it right away. I couldn't decide btwn 2 links a 4 but ultimately went with four. I think I went a little too short because it is a perfect fit. I have just enough slack to put it on and it can still move up and down my wrist; however, I think I need a little more slack added back because it is very hard to put on (so I rarely take it off). Sometimes I get lucky and hook it right away but sometimes I actually need my son to put it on me =/ I think this will become more of an issue for me once I get the MOP bracelet and want to switch bracelets more often...

bottom line, I would shorten it, but go with 2 links first and then it's like a happy medium. You can always go shorter if it's not enough but you will also be able to experiment with this length using it as an extender... just my 2 cents =)

I have the same bracelet in RG. It is my first and I shortened it right away. I couldn't decide btwn 2 links a 4 but ultimately went with four. I think I went a little too short because it is a perfect fit. I have just enough slack to put it on and it can still move up and down my wrist; however, I think I need a little more slack added back because it is very hard to put on (so I rarely take it off). Sometimes I get lucky and hook it right away but sometimes I actually need my son to put it on me =/ I think this will become more of an issue for me once I get the MOP bracelet and want to switch bracelets more often...

bottom line, I would shorten it, but go with 2 links first and then it's like a happy medium. You can always go shorter if it's not enough but you will also be able to experiment with this length using it as an extender... just my 2 cents =)

Thank you for sharing your experience. It helped me to decide not to go with removing 4 links. I want to be able to take this bracelet off daily with ease, as it isn’t suitable for my work environment. The MOP would look lovely stacked with your RG as well!

Reactions: jimmie staton
I left mine because I prefer the flexibiity of being able to use the bracelet as a necklace. If I want to wear the bracelet a little tighter, I just twist the chain a little or twist it a bit more if i want it tight. This will keep the length unaltered.

That idea had literally never occurred to me nor did it come up in my searches about shortening this bracelet. I really appreciate your suggestion. I will try it out that way for a couple of days to see how it works for me.

That idea had literally never occurred to me nor did it come up in my searches about shortening this bracelet. I really appreciate your suggestion. I will try it out that way for a couple of days to see how it works for me.
This twisting method was suggested to me by the VCA SA too. She advised to keep the original length so that I can add another 5 motif to make it a necklace and the necklace won't be too short like it's a choker. Definitely try it out and see if it that works for you.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It helped me to decide not to go with removing 4 links. I want to be able to take this bracelet off daily with ease, as it isn’t suitable for my work environment. The MOP would look lovely stacked with your RG as well!
Glad I could help. Due to my experience with the RG length, I will only remove 2 links with the MOP so that I can remove it daily. I'm a little OCD about mixing metals and I also know I can't wear the MOP in the shower....
Would love to hear your experience once u decide! xo

This twisting method was suggested to me by the VCA SA too. She advised to keep the original length so that I can add another 5 motif to make it a necklace and the necklace won't be too short like it's a choker. Definitely try it out and see if it that works for you.

Glad I could help. Due to my experience with the RG length, I will only remove 2 links with the MOP so that I can remove it daily. I'm a little OCD about mixing metals and I also know I can't wear the MOP in the shower....
Would love to hear your experience once u decide! xo

Trying out the twisting method today with it stacked with my Ballon Bleu. Loving the mixed metal look.

Attachments

• 8615BB14-F18E-4C6D-9422-08C7A90D7E6F.jpeg
    8615BB14-F18E-4C6D-9422-08C7A90D7E6F.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 662
How it looks currently.
what can you live with... long or short ? If the long doesn't bother you, then don't bother it. If it does then do something to it... The great thing is, if you shorten it, you keep the links and motifs to add back later if you change your mind. Do let them know that you want every link and motif that has been removed. Only let VCA do it.
"J!m"

The twisting method sometimes does not stay and it’s hard to actually do it by myself. I had the same dilemma so I recent took my 5 motifs to the boutique for them to be shorted. When they come back in a week I may or may not like it but I can share my suggestion then if you like. I wanted to take out 6 links but I don’t like how that would be done unevenly so I decided to take out 4 links.

Love your stack! How do you like the twisting method so far? And if you don't mind, may I ask what is that ring on your index finger? I like it.

I found that it worked, but was hard for me to clasp and keep the twist in the chain at the same time. I gave up and took it in to be shortened over the weekend and miss it already. The ring in this picture is the Olive leaf from Tiffany’s. Compared to VCA pricing it’s quite affordable and easily my most complimented ring.