To sell or wait...

Mrs.H

Mar 4, 2014
Does the value generally go up on classic handbags? I purchased several handbags while living overseas 2-3 years ago. My mindset at the time was that I would buy a handbag in every basic "category" (crossbody, hobo, Tote, formal, everyday, travel etc). I figured if I got higher end bags, they would last a long time if rotated and cared for. In reality, I didn't end up using them as I thought and they've been in their dustbags and boxes since purchased, only taken out a handful of times for pictures.

I am now ready to sell or consign (I haven't done either before) and have gotten several quotes from trusted online consignment stores as well as a couple of local stores. My question is, would my hand bags depreciate in value as time goes on and is it better to sell now that they are under 3 years?

They are all in very good condition as they have not been used regularly and have been stored with great care. I also have all the included accessories, dust bags, shopping bags and receipts. The quotes I've gotten are basically in the same range, although they are greatly reduced from what I paid for them.

1. Bottega Veneta Intrecciato Napa medium hobo, dusty rose

2. Prada Saffiano patent leather, double zip tote, royal blue, ghw, medium, w/crossbody strap

3. LV Agenda pm monogram print

4. Burberry chain clutch, house check print

5. LV Neverfull Mm & Speedy B 30 (although both have been hot stamped)

6. Chanel classic quilted caviar leather double flap, s/m, ghw

I know items like the Chanel could be considered vintage if held more than 20 years, would it be worth it to hold onto it instead of selling it now? IMG_1487978141.516214.jpg

As far as brands go, I think the only one that holds their value on your list is Vuitton. increase in value usually happens only with limited/special editions.
Classic Chanels tend to increase their value with time as Chanel constantly keeps jacking up their prices.

It depends on how much you need the money and what you want to use it for. The LV and Chanel will most likely retain their value better years from now if they are kept in good condition. However years for now, you don't really know if they will be in the same demand. It seems that every few years, there's a mad rush for a new style and the basic "classic" are put in the sidelines.

You can wait it out for the reselling price to increase so you can recoup your original cost but remember that the general cost of buying everything else will also increase as well. Inflation affects both new and old items.

Have you tried selling them yourself? Consignment stores will always offer less as they still need to add in their operating cost & profit margin.

As the other posters have said, the LV and Chanel are most likely to hold their value. The Prada has likely lost a lot of its value already especially since it's patent and will continue to sink (and I say this as someone who has two double zips that I love). I'm not familiar with resale on Burberry and BV.

The longer you wait the more uncertainty enters the picture. A brand could fall out of favor, we could have a global recession, a new hot style could displace what we've all been wearing. My opinion is that since you don't have bags that are rare, if you don't wear them, sell them as soon as possible when they are their newest to recoup the most.

I would encourage you to get online and see for what price what your models of bags are selling. You can check the sold listings on eBay and check the listing prices on sites linlke Fashionphile and Yoogies.

Consignment earns their cut by taking out the hassle factor. But, you will always make more selling on your own on sites like eBay and Tradesy. Except for one bag I consigned, I've always sold my bags myself. You can check the threads on selling for more info on how to approach it.

Good luck!

Thank you all for your valuable advice. While I love my bags for their craftsmanship and classic styles, I've found that they don't really fit in with my lifestyle and it's likely that I'll never get a lot of use out of them. I would only hold onto them if it was worth it as an investment, but already know I won't be using them.

Going forward, id like to invest in bags I'll be sure to wear. I've found my style to be more low key and low maintenance with harder leathers and minimal logos. I still love brand names, but I'd love them more if a trained eye could spot them over a crowd of people recognizing them at a glance.

I've never sold a bag before and am not a very strong seller. I'm not familiar with eBay and am likely an easy target for scammers. Consignment seemed the way to go as it felt like an easier process. I'm just having a difficult time taking such a large cut off of what I paid, it's almost insulting. Nearly 70% off of the Chanel, Prada, and Bottega. I would prefer to sell myself, but am afraid There would be some terrible mishap along the way like miscommunication between myself and the buyer, having a hard time receiving the funds etc.

Reactions: papertiger
I also know that generally, it's nearly impossible to sell a hot stamped LV as the price goes down significantly. Does anyone know about that? Would I be able to sell my LV Neverfull Mm & Speedy B 30 of they have a hot stamp?

I vote sell/list them now. You know you don't want them, and they're just taking up space. Since you're not in a rush, put high price on them that you'd be happy with, and wait. Tastes change, you could find that demand is less for certain brands in 5 years, we hav eno way of knowing. If you want to sit on one, the Chanel seems like the safest bet, but I'd just part with it now if it were me.

IMHO Prada doesn't hold its value. If you look at the resale sites you can find beautiful like new bags much cheaper than original price. Department stores also have a large markdown during sales.

Would I be able to sell my LV Neverfull Mm & Speedy B 30 of they have a hot stamp?

To answer your questions:
Yes, but for less, compared to non-heat stamped.

Vintage Chanel bags are not a sure bet to hold onto for later resale--there's plenty of not particularly desirable old Chanel for sale around, and the classic chain and quilted Chanel bags go in and out of trend. For years, they seemed old fashioned.

And values usually go down, not up, on almost all bags over time that were mass produced and made in large quantities, as is the case for most designer goods. Some brands do especially poorly down the road. Look at Completed Listings on eBay to see recent actual selling prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evia
Missie1 yes, it's a s/m double flap classic quilted in caviar black leather with ghw. Since writing this post I've taken them all to a few consignment shops and received quotes online. It does look like there is going to be a significant cut from the original price I paid for them despite being in nearly pristine condition with all original tags, bags, and receipts included. I'm currently researching how to sell on my own, particularly with Tradesy

CleopatraSelene, thanks for your advice. I wish I could just start over with what I know now and buy bags that are more my style, only rotating between a few. I'm going to try and sell everything and will only give up the classic Chanel if I get a decent offer.