To sell or not to sell... that is the question

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. How do you determine when it is time to sell off one of your bags?

When I first started buying Coach, I would sell my old bag to afford the new bag.. that way I always felt like I was getting a deal. Plus, it was easier to convince the hubby that it was ok to spend 500.00 on a purse ;)

Now, I have quite the collection, but a few bags that (even though I love them) I hardly wear, if even at all. SO, my question is:

When is it time to say "out with the old, and in with the new"?

2. I would say when you never wear them anymore.

3. Seconding Bethie, with the additional requirement that you can't honestly see yourself wearing them again (or you would prefer a new bag to the old).

4. I, theoritically say that when you don't wear them, sell 'um! But, I have a ton of stuff that I just can't bear to part with even tho I haven't used it in a year plus! So, keep it unless you nkow you will not miss it 100%! :smile:

5. If they are not being used, I think that its not fair to the bag and its not fair to me. I won't sell bags that I received as gifts though.

6. I had this fight w/ myself a few weeks ago over 2 coach bags that I just wasn't using anymore. I used to say that I would never sell any of my designer bags....but I needed some extra money and the space, so I sold them. I never gave it a 2nd thought when they were gone.

7. Bethann, I am kinda the same way... I mean, each piece I buy is special... but when they aren't being used, and then I have my eyes on this super expensive legacy tote... I just don't think I should be splurging when I have over 15 bags and half of them have hardly been out or used. I am a little torn... but hearing that you didn't give them a second thought after selling them puts me at ease.

The other thing that troubles me is that I will lose money by selling a bag on ebay because the tags are not attached, even if they haven't been carried. I save all my documentation though for every bag, so that might help a little.... we'll see though I guess.

8. Personally I sell them when I get a new one.. for two reasons 1 being I personally can't justify spending a huge amount on bags that sit in my closet, and 2 is I don't switch purses often if ever, so it is pointless. I do have a signature duffle though that I have not sold, I just always switch up and go to that bag, so I will not sell it until I stop using it 100%

9. I think that will help. Even if you do lose a little bit of money, it's still cash in hand to help fund the legacy tote. That's how I try to think about things.

10. Great Topic!!

I too have carried coach for several years and always sold the old when buying new. I generally bought a new bag/wristlet set every 3 mos or so. I sold the old on eBay when it was still a newer style (usually sold out long gone) and lost very little money. I couldn't justify spending $400-$500 on another bag and have one in the closet I wouldn't be switching back to. I don't switch bags everday .. I get a bag and use it until I'm tired of it. I recently bought a LV Limited Edition bag .. the problem is I spent so much money on it, I'm afraid of using it and risking damage. So I'm sitting here debating myself .. do I buy another Coach bag (which I know I'll be sick of in 2 months and want to sell) or buy say a LV speedy or something that's more reasonably priced and then maybe I'd like longer?

Back to the thread topic though, I say go ahead and sell if you're not the type to "go back to" a bag!! Why let the money set in the closet going to waste so to speak .. sell it and turn the money into a new bag!!

11. It's funny this thread came up because i've had a similar dilemma recently. My very first Coach, a present from DH was a soho houndstooth tweed and matching wristlet that he bought me for Christmas in (2002?) Since then I have added more and more bags to my collection. I am now thinking I may not carry the tweed again since I like my newer bags a lot more but it still is kind of heartbreaking to think about selling that first one, especially since DH hand picked it out for me. I tried to give it to my MIL to keep it in the family, but she gave it back because it didn't fit all her stuff (that woman needs a large carly). There does not seem to be much interest in tweed Coach on ebay and i'm thinking I'll get very little out of it so I might as well keep it....so it's in storage again. Maybe DD will like vintage Coach tweed in about 15 years.

12. I sell stuff ALL the time, I carry a bag for a little while and then when the fun newness of it wears off, its on ebay and I never look back.

Only ones I will keep forever are my large sig duffle (first coach and I carry it alll the time), 2004 patchwork, and my legacy shoulder, everything else comes and goes