To scarfies - do you ever face a stained scarf dilemma?

I agree -- my scarves are to be worn, not stored in a musuem! I did have a real scare with my GM "Bouclerie" this winter though. Carefully holding it in my lap, I got out of the car ... and dropped it in a wet, muddy puddle. I took it into the house and carefully hung it to dry (I used two "bulldog" clips that I attached to hangers so that no part of it was folded). Then I waited (very impatiently) until it was *completely* dry. Then I took a paper towel, and brushed the dirt off. Then I ironed it. It looks perfect. Now, granted that scarf is very dark in color, but I do think that the greasy stains may be tough to remove because they soak in more easily. Water-based stains seem to "float" on the surface of the silk. This may not work on a light-colored scarf, but it's worth a try before resorting to more extreme measures!

This thread is so aptly timed! Totally new scarfie - I just bought the Pegase from the CDG x Hermes collaboration, and of course, the first time I wear it, coffee splatters all over it! I had washed it immediately, but there was shadow of the coffee. I took it to my favorite dry cleaner (who happily identified it immediately as Hermes and promised me she'd take great care of it) - it's there now and I'm praying for it's safe return. Stain Magnet, I am! :rain:

Thanks to this great thread (and great thread starting prompt!) I'm ordering the Dryell stain pen immediately, probably putting a zip lock in my bag, and wearing my scarves guilt free, having accepted that some bits of my life will stick to my scarves!

I have a question!
I LOVE white scarves - and especially love my white Saut Obstacles. I really want to wear it out as a top. The problem is that I live in Australia. It's super hot and humid here, and sweating is part of it (gross I know). Therefore I have not been brave enough to wear this lovely scarf anywhere other than my neck because I'm scared to death of sweat/ deodorant stains, especially if the scarf rub against my underarms.
Should I just avoid this all together to prevent possible grief, or do you scarfies have special tricks?
Sorry about the icky topic but I know you ladies have a wealth of knowledge and experience! TIA!

I have a question!
I LOVE white scarves - and especially love my white Saut Obstacles. I really want to wear it out as a top. The problem is that I live in Australia. It's super hot and humid here, and sweating is part of it (gross I know). Therefore I have not been brave enough to wear this lovely scarf anywhere other than my neck because I'm scared to death of sweat/ deodorant stains, especially if the scarf rub against my underarms.
Should I just avoid this all together to prevent possible grief, or do you scarfies have special tricks?
Sorry about the icky topic but I know you ladies have a wealth of knowledge and experience! TIA!

Nguyenp, I would advise the same things I use for all my white shirts, which I wear constantly in the summer. First, get a deodorant without aluminum—the best bet is a local organic grocer. Second, just make sure to handwash it often using a kind detergent. Once silk colors, it's hard to restore.

More generally about the question of stains . . . . I purposely ignore them. I have a vintage scarf, for instance, that's pretty horribly stained. I don't care. I wear it. And my large scarves regularly get in some mess, but eventually I wash it and most stuff comes out. And when they don't, most knots hide things.

Nguyenp, I would advise the same things I use for all my white shirts, which I wear constantly in the summer. First, get a deodorant without aluminum—the best bet is a local organic grocer. Second, just make sure to handwash it often using a kind detergent. Once silk colors, it's hard to restore.

arabesques, thank you very much for your tips! I never knew re:aluminum free deo! :ty:

Oh, that's a great tip! Thanks

I have a question!
arabesques offered some great tips nguyen. When it is humid, I just do not wear my silks with exception of mousselines which are light and airy. I might carry a gm or stole for a/c spaces or evenings. Summer is for horn pendant wearing for me, and if you really want to wear silks in summer climate - perhaps choose the twillys, 70's or pochette? If you wish to wear your silks as a top, then a light tank or camisole might help ( and some prefer this anyway in case the scarf becomes undone :smile:)HTH.

arabesques offered some great tips nguyen. When it is humid, I just do not wear my silks with exception of mousselines which are light and airy. I might carry a gm or stole for a/c spaces or evenings. Summer is for horn pendant wearing for me, and if you really want to wear silks in summer climate - perhaps choose the twillys, 70's or pochette? If you wish to wear your silks as a top, then a light tank or camisole might help ( and some prefer this anyway in case the scarf becomes undone :smile:)HTH.

Thank you for your advice lanit! :smile: Unfortunately I live in Australia where it's mostly 28 - 35oC for more than half the year so it will be a bummer that I can't wear my beautiful silks all the time. I've spent the last few days researching on different ways to wear silk so that they have less contact with my skin. I also saw a few ingenious ideas from MaiTai and will definitely try them out! :hugs:

love reading all your comments and seeing I'm not alone - I do try not to wear white in general if I know I'll be eating or drinking (unless it's fabric I can bleach). As for Hermes scarves, I decided to buy just good (imperfect) used scarves in addition to the ones I collect, so that I'll be wearing them instead of worrying about getting them dirty, after seeing how easy it is to stain or snag them. arabesques is particularly liberating in saying that she doesn't care about wearing scarves with stains !
And thanks for the cleaning tips!

Scarves are for wearing so they will never remain pristine. A stain on a scarf ( and I have plenty!) is part of the story of me and my scarves so I am only slightly ashamed of making a mess. Just wearing anything close to your skin will cause some staining, perfume will stain ( and I won't live without perfume), food will stain, pollution will stain, everything will stain. Some will come out with dry cleaning or careful washing, some won't. If you try to be perfect or try to keep your scarves perfect

a) you are in for a lot of worry and work and
b) you will ultimately fail.
So don't get stressed about it.

My one concession in all this is that I won't buy scarves with a lot of white in anymore - the stains can be too visible for comfort and I do find my eye gravitating to where the stain lies.

The first day I wore my bright pink Year of India Caparacons I managed to get ballpoint pen ink, chocolate cake and soil on it. I was very grateful to my dry cleaner then!

Not sure if this is a first but my sister has an immensely adorable wiggly toy dog that is always very excited to see me.
I pick up the darling angel as I typically do ---- and Mr. Wiggles promptly pees on my scarf. I really couldnt even dare get upset or mad at him.:love:

I run upstairs, rinse the scarf out but unfortunately in my head...its stuck in my head as the pee scarf and I can't bring myself to use it....yet.
Maybe I will use it again someday soon,....but I think it will always be my Hermes Pee scarf:biggrin: