to perm or not to perm?

amber11

Feb 7, 2008
so i don't know much about perming, i'v searched through the beauty bar too but i was just wanting some more clarification, im not even totally clear on the difference of a digital perm vs. regular or what would work best for me...
i have long thick hair with slight wave and i was told that if i get a perm that it would make it easier to curl and wave and since im super low maintenance with my hair and it would also make it so i could just put some product in it and it'll will "wave/curl" out on its own. what do you guys think or recommend?

so i don't know much about perming, i'v searched through the beauty bar too but i was just wanting some more clarification, im not even totally clear on the difference of a digital perm vs. regular or what would work best for me...
i have long thick hair with slight wave and i was told that if i get a perm that it would make it easier to curl and wave and since im super low maintenance with my hair and it would also make it so i could just put some product in it and it'll will "wave/curl" out on its own. what do you guys think or recommend?

my hair is the same..everthing I've read about a digital perm is that we're good candidates for it (I'm not an expert though LOL) I've been going back and forth w/getting one because I always seem to have a bad experience when I get my hair done not that I've had a perm before, but anyway)

if you seach past threads, you can see some pic's of the digital perm & info about it. its suppose to be better (by better I mean the curl) and less damaging on your hair than a reg. perm.

anyway, if I decide to go for it I'll def. posts pics and info!

good luck:tup:

digital is a lot less damaging than a regular perm (i've had both and there's a noticeable difference in the quality of my hair). i started a thread on it earlier:

http://forum.purseblog.com/the-beauty-bar/considering-a-digital-perm-opinions-313720.html

here are some of my pictures for your own reference.

before:
n3418541_35711027_9631.jpg

right after getting a digital perm:
n3418541_38398417_5863.jpg

now (2 months after getting the perm):
n3418541_38862399_608.jpg

i'm still loving mine. let us know what you decide!!

I used to keep a perm but since they have fallen out of popularity I haven't gotten one in years now. I don't know if a regular perm can achieve curl that isn't too curly in the beginning. I always had to have hair that was curlier than I wanted it so that I could still have curl when it grew out. My hair is also thick and wavy and I struggle because the sides of my hair have volume but the top is a bit flat. I would LOVE to have a perm to solve that problem! I have found a great line that brings out the curls in your hair. Its Matrix Curl Life. Green bottle and I use the shampoo, conditioner, and mousse. Makes my wavy hair a little wavier and helps it to look a little curlier.

oh awesome thanks guys ill definitely try the matrix curl life while im looking into the perms.. and thanks for the picture thats exactly what i would want my hair to do just a slight curl/wave not kinks everywhere

I was also contemplating a perm and am now looking into digital. I have fine hair and was told it should be ok as long as it's healthy. Lesparkley, your hair is gorgeous. I heard digital or ceramic perms are the most natural looking.