To Patina or not to Patina, that is the question.. lol

Crystal_S*

Jan 3, 2018
Hi all! So, I received my first Louis Vuitton bag at Christmas (Speedy 35, Monogram) and I’m absolutely thrilled about it because I’ve wanted one for years! But now that I have one, it literally sits safely at home every day. lol For some reason I’m terrified to carry it. lol One, I don’t want to get anything on the Vachetta that would stain it and two, I’m scared that the Patina will for some reason become uneven. And to be quite honest, I actually like the light color Vachetta right now. I know most people hate it and often people think that it’s a fake when the Vachetta is so light, which I don’t understand because it’s always going to be that color when it’s new. lol
Anyway, just wondering if anyone else was scared to carry their bag when they first got it or am I the only crazy one out there?? lol
P.S. Let me know if anyone else loves the light color Vachetta that it is when it’s new. I know there has to be someone other than me! lol

You're definitely not the only one. My first bag was damier ebene and I was still afraid to carry it. You've just got to get over it and realize that the little imperfections that might pop up or the patina that happens is all a part of your story and your adventures with your bag. I found getting a pre-loved bag cured me of worrying about perfect vachetta.

Reactions: Kidclarke
You're definitely not the only one. My first bag was damier ebene and I was still afraid to carry it. You've just got to get over it and realize that the little imperfections that might pop up or the patina that happens is all a part of your story and your adventures with your bag. I found getting a pre-loved bag cured me of worrying about perfect vachetta.

I never thought of it that way, but I like that! ;)

I actually prefer the patina myself. For me, it's part of the charm. And the bottom line is, if you have a bag with vachetta leather on it, it will patina if you use it. Nothing is going to stop that. There are things you can do to make sure the patina process goes well...and there are plenty of threads on here with a variety of different methods people have found to patina their bags beautifully. If you don't like the patina, then you should go for bag with treated leather. That being said...I think there are some misconceptions about what true patina actually is. A lot of what people look at as think of as patina is really dirt and abuse! People who allow their bags to get all spotted up with oil or liquids or simply don't clean the leather...it can take on a very unsightly look. I saw a woman once with a speedy and the handles were a nasty grayish black color! It was just dirty! I almost wanted to cry for that poor little speedy! I regularly wipe my bags down with non-alcohol wipes, I never put them on the floor or anywhere where they could come in contact with dirt or grease. When they were new I didn't take them out in the rain before they got a little patina on them...because the brand new raw vachetta will spot if it gets wet before it gets a little patina going on it. Accidents can always happen, I know...but honestly, that patina will actually protect your bag from stains and dirt in the long run if you allow it to progress naturally.

I just got a Keepall in monogram for my birthday on Saturday. This bag has the largest amount of vachetta on it of any bag I've owned to date! I will be soooooo happy when it starts to get a nice patina going. Then I won't have to baby it and worry about it anymore and I can enjoy it as it was meant to be enjoyed.

Use the bag! You can spray it with a leather protectant which can slow down the patina process. People who are afraid to use their LVs usually end up selling them because the bag never gets used.

The bag is more carefree once it has some patina, so don't be afraid. :P

Last edited:
Reactions: Crystal_S*
Hi all! So, I received my first Louis Vuitton bag at Christmas (Speedy 35, Monogram) and I’m absolutely thrilled about it because I’ve wanted one for years! But now that I have one, it literally sits safely at home every day. lol For some reason I’m terrified to carry it. lol One, I don’t want to get anything on the Vachetta that would stain it and two, I’m scared that the Patina will for some reason become uneven. And to be quite honest, I actually like the light color Vachetta right now. I know most people hate it and often people think that it’s a fake when the Vachetta is so light, which I don’t understand because it’s always going to be that color when it’s new. lol
Anyway, just wondering if anyone else was scared to carry their bag when they first got it or am I the only crazy one out there?? lol
P.S. Let me know if anyone else loves the light color Vachetta that it is when it’s new. I know there has to be someone other than me! lol
I only like bags with patina. New vachetta looks so pale and porous and unattractive. I love it when the vachetta gets all shiny and honey colored. I feel like developing a patina is half the fun of a lv bag!

I actually prefer the patina myself. For me, it's part of the charm. And the bottom line is, if you have a bag with vachetta leather on it, it will patina if you use it. Nothing is going to stop that. There are things you can do to make sure the patina process goes well...and there are plenty of threads on here with a variety of different methods people have found to patina their bags beautifully. If you don't like the patina, then you should go for bag with treated leather. That being said...I think there are some misconceptions about what true patina actually is. A lot of what people look at as think of as patina is really dirt and abuse! People who allow their bags to get all spotted up with oil or liquids or simply don't clean the leather...it can take on a very unsightly look. I saw a woman once with a speedy and the handles were a nasty grayish black color! It was just dirty! I almost wanted to cry for that poor little speedy! I regularly wipe my bags down with non-alcohol wipes, I never put them on the floor or anywhere where they could come in contact with dirt or grease. When they were new I didn't take them out in the rain before they got a little patina on them...because the brand new raw vachetta will spot if it gets wet before it gets a little patina going on it. Accidents can always happen, I know...but honestly, that patina will actually protect your bag from stains and dirt in the long run if you allow it to progress naturally.

I just got a Keepall in monogram for my birthday on Saturday. This bag has the largest amount of vachetta on it of any bag I've owned to date! I will be soooooo happy when it starts to get a nice patina going. Then I won't have to baby it and worry about it anymore and I can enjoy it as it was meant to be enjoyed.

OMG, I would flip out if my handles got so dirty that they turned grey and nasty looking! LOL

I love patina. The fact of the matter is that it will patina whether you use it or not so you might as well use it and put your marks on it. With proper care it won't look dirty. Here is my 4yr old Speedy. I love it more than any other bag I own.

It’s very pretty!! I’ve just seen so many Speedy’s with super dark, gross looking handles that I guess it freaked me out. LOL But as someone stated on here, that wasn’t Patina it was actually dirt lol I believe I’d be more careful with my bag lol