to our married tPFers: how did you meet mr. right?

OMG girl I know how you feel!

I live in Alabama and I am 21. Half of my friends are already married. The other half is engaged and the few that aren't are in serious relationships. I am not kidding or being dramatic whenever I say I am the ONLY single girl in my group of friends!

This summer a bunch of girls I went to high school with have gotten engaged. And it's good for them, but then I see their knot.com webpage and want to cry. I am just so jealous! I want to be in love!

I am this huge romantic who has been writing entries in my journal since I was a little girl about the man I want to marry. It seems that my problem is that I just don't meet quality guys. It's so frustrating. I know they HAVE to be out there SOMEWHERE!!

It's so sad to me...because I want to find the one but the more I go on through life the more cynical I become. And to be 21 and cynical isn't really a great way to live life because let's face it, I am seriously just beginning to live life.

I rationally know that 21 is young...and I feel like I need to grow a lot before I can meet my husband but it doesn't make me wish any less that he was here right now so I could hold him and tell him I love him.

Yes, I am a sap! :love:

You're young...don't sweat it. Live your life some before you get tied down. Travel and see the world. Kiss a lot of frogs! (I mean that figuratively ;) )

I met my husband on a local computer bulletin board. We were both members and used to attend all the functions. We became friends and the rest is history. I didn't get married until I was 36.

With a little more life experience under your belt, you will be better equipped to make a better choice in husband. :flowers:

I met my husband b/c I was renting a room in his house while I was in college. I lived there w 5 guys who ended up being like my brothers. I was friends w/ my DH for 2 years before anything happened between us. I think I just got tired of paying him rent so, I had to marry him.;)
we have been married for 16 years next Saturday and I got married at 24. It was the best thing I ever did, but I wasn't looking for it and never thought I would marry that young. I had a lot of fun before I got married:graucho:

I was 24 and had just about given up on men and internet dating (I met my share of guys from online over a 4 yr period.) I still had my profile up on a matchmaking service and I would occasionally log on out of boredom to see who and what guys were writing me. This guy kept sending me messages, but I kept deleting them because I considered him too short (5'10"), even though he seemed to have it all together. He finally persuaded me to write him back and within minutes he had me calling him. 2 days later we met for dinner and drinks. :smile:

Needless to say, I was impressed :graucho: and he loved the fact that I wore heels and wasn't shy about my height, especially knowing I had a few inches on him. (I had dated a number of men who stood 6'5" plus and they had issues with me wearing heels. :rolleyes: Go figure.)

At the time, neither one of us was looking for a relationship or marriage. He had just gotten divorced several months earlier and I was never one for marriage (I was heading into a career that really wouldn't allow me the time for a relationship, let alone marriage.) Simply put, we both enjoyed each other's company and expected nothing.

Long story short...I've been with my best friend for 7 years now, 3 of them in marriage and we're expecting our first child any day now. :smile:

"Mr Right" wore white tennis shoes with everything, was a total nut and was a lot older than me. We were introduced by a mutual friend because we were both Jewish. We fast became friends because we are both very friendly and eccentric in most people's opinions. :jammin:

We have two lovely daughters and have been married 6+ years. Every night before bed he says, "I'm so glad you married me."

hey amanda, i must say yes do enjoy your 20s... there are so much out there for you to discover both the world and yourself.. what you think you want right now may not be what you really want as you mature into your 30s...

i am not married but i was very curious about this thread and thought how fantastic everyone's story is.... so i felt the urge to give you my 2 cent... i have just about the opposite situation from you... i am turning 26 in a few months and i live in california... NONE of my friends is married... NONE! hahahaha :yahoo:

for some reasons, we all believe in getting our lives straight first... may it be education, career, or whatnot... some of my friends do get pressure from their parents to get married but lucky, the only person who wants me to get married is my grandma...

i have a serious bf for 4 1/2 years now... and we have gone through a lot... simply because we were too young when we started dating... we were just coming to our owns and still learning about what "relationship" is... and trust me, it's a lot of work... you must communicate and think for the others... and luckily, even tho he really wants to settle down with me (he is 2 years older than me), he understands that i want to wait and have a career first and understands that i want to be financially independent before marriage... and he is willing to wait for me...

so i say, have fun and discover yourself... learn what is most important to you... LOVE yourself first and foremost... you can only find Mr. Right when you love yourself and can be happy by yourself.. because depending on another person for happiness will not end up well... so the next time you see lovey dovey couples.. just go home and listen to sad love songs and watch movies about evil men! :idea:

At 20 you are too young to think about settling down permanently, I'm 29 and getting married in January next year but I still want to do so many things!

As to how I met my fiancé, it's so corny that everyone can throw up if they want, LOL! I was playing tennis with my friend and slipped on the grass. She couldn't carry me but he was playing in another court and heard me scream my head off so he offered to carry me to the 1st aid room and then drove me to the hospital for the scan. So I gave him my number for a thank-you dinner later but he dare not call for another two weeks! (good because I couldn't wear heels until then, LOL!). It's exactly 2 years ago this month.

As for avoiding the 'female friend' thingy, you have to slightly play hard to get them to treat you like more than a friend (but obviously don't do it too much, LOL!)

I met my Husband at a function we were both attending. I was not looking to meet anyone at the time but it just happend, he was very persistant and attentive long story short i just gave in.
It will happen when you least expect it, dont go looking for it, that always, in my opinion, leads to frustration. Do the things you enjoy doing with your life, relax and let it happen. we are not in control of our destiny God is.

You will have the right Man in your life, one that will make your life complete. who knows where you will meet him ! grocery store, parking lot, prehaps someone will introduce you to him.

Whoever he is will be happy you are you. :heart:

Oh Prada, thank you. That's such a sweet thing and something a lot of us need to here.

I've met someone over the internet and at the moment we're just messaging each other back and forth. We're both single. Neither one of us has suggested anything yet. I hope so much that it turns into something more. Ive never met him, but we've seen photos of each other and he is sooooo cute and sounds so sweet. I like him already......:rolleyes:

And....it really was out of the blue!!!!!! He texted me.....

I used to hang out at the beach alot and I'd spend alot of time at a particular coffee shop that he would frequent as well. I never paid much attention to him but, he tried everything possible to get me to notice him for a month or so. When I finally did notice him, I thought he was weird and awkward. We both live in a small beach town and had mutual friends and he kept turing up at dinner gatherings, picnics, and other get togethers. He's a very talented guitar player and one night after about 2 months of ignoring him and his efforts, he was playing his guitar at a bonfire and I looked up and we made eye contact. BAM! Wowza!
How could I have not noticed him and those beautiful big brown eyes!!!:heart:
We've been together for almost 13 years and are happily married.
The end

I met mr. rainrowan through a mutual friend from work. I was just coming out of an emotionally fragile period after a bad breakup and was finally open to meeting someone. We went out on a blind-date lunch and I was struck at how engaging he was. And my gosh those ice blue eyes!! :heart: Unbeknownst to us, our mutual friend was telling us that we had the hots for the other, hence our interest in meeting. When we found out, we laughed our heads off.

One advice I have for 20-somethings is to maintain a healthy balance between relationships and careers, not sacrificing one for the other. That's only when you get to know yourself, and your potential partner/s' views on matters that are important to you. The more people you meet, the more you get to understand the qualities you like in a person. Not the idealized qualities of romances but qualities of a more realistic nature. There's nothing wrong in marrying for love and adventure, or love and money... it's what you know you want when you're ready.

wow, another old 'love' thread...

we were sitting in the same office at the University.... very corny. anyway, I pretty much fell for him (haha to the other thread....) from the beginning. we were married about 4 months after being introduced to each other.

We met on a blind date, after being introduced over the phone by a mutual friend. I called him because I couldn't stand having another LOSER get my number!! ;)
We ended up talking on the phone for 9 hours over a period of 2 days and the rest is history.
We're married 15 years this December with four great kids.
Yay! :nuts:

We're from the same city back home. My Uncle is his Dad's highschool buddy. I've heard about him but never really got the chance to be formally introduced to one another. 6 years ago, I joined a chat community of people from my hometown. I bumped into his name there and the rest is history :biggrin:

Like what the pps have mentioned, you're young and fabulous. Go out there and have fun first ;)