To moisturize or not to moisturize?

pigpink

Jun 17, 2012
Hello Balenciaga experts & enthusiasts!

I had recently got my first black balenciaga city. I'm wondering if I should treat the bag with anything before using it? I've read many posts & threads here and it's just driving me insane because I want to make the best decision, but at the same time, there are so many different opinions on moisturizing and protecting :sad: I have had the bag for awhile, and I really hope to make a decision and be able to wear it soon.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I suppose there's no right or wrong here...it's very much a matter of personal preference. For my new bags, I would apply a very thin coat of leather honey if the leather appears dry. If the leather looks moist enough, I'd use some Apple conditioner sparingly. On the handles, I would always apply two coats of LMB Miracle Shield to protect them against oils and water - it has worked very well for all my LV vachetta handles, so I know it is effective.

Hello Balenciaga experts & enthusiasts!

I had recently got my first black balenciaga city. I'm wondering if I should treat the bag with anything before using it? I've read many posts & threads here and it's just driving me insane because I want to make the best decision, but at the same time, there are so many different opinions on moisturizing and protecting :sad: I have had the bag for awhile, and I really hope to make a decision and be able to wear it soon.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I think it's really just a matter of preference. If a bag is dry, I definitely would. I happen to like putting either "leather Honey" or one from "loving my bags" on. I live in a wet climate so I like having some waterproof protection. I don't overdo it and usually once I apply it in the beginning, that's it. I've got 14 or so, and they all look great after a number of years.

However, there are ladies here that never treat a bag, and their bags do fine as well. Just use a reputable product (NO lubriderm!!!) The leather on bal bags seems to handle treatments without looking blotchy. One other thing, since it is black and that color tends to fade, I use something with a UV protectant and I never let mine sit in the sun. I've had no fading on any of my bags. Hope that helps!:smile:

^^^ Hi Redskater!

I am one of those who never treat the leather with anything BUT all my bags are oldies and the leather used then was different and just never dry. They are so soft and beautiful that I would not want to mess with that. I think I've turned this into some kind of phobia though. If I had a newer bag I would treat it. Like redskater said.....if it feels dry, condition it with a high quality leather conditioner.