To keep the metallic edge or not to keep

Starfallen

O.G.
Jan 2, 2008
I am so torn. I ordered the metallic edge city in black with silver hardware from NM. I haven't picked it up yet but I am on the fence. Sometimes I feel it is too hard from my classic style. But other times, I have always liked Bal but wanted a more substantial leather. It seems heavy, and shiny but is it too edgy?

Reactions: Namwan-
Metallic edge provides the professional/ formal look IMO. Nothing looks edgy about it at all. The leather first comes stiff , but will gradually become softer with usage.

However , I have always preferred the Bal lambskin, and surely it looks edgy. Mettalic edge isn't for me ( at least for now.).

Reactions: Namwan-
I understand, I had a black City that I loved so much but also used so much that it ended up being very used. Too used. I dreamed of a black City with sturdier leather. So I was lucky enough to find a Holiday Hamilton bag (the leather on these are similar but not completely the same as on the Metal Edge bags. The Hamilton leather is slightly softer etc.). It is perfect but I'll admit that the first time I carried it, it didn't completely have that "Bal-feel", kwim? Kinda like the new iPhone6, it's fab but it doesn't completely have that Apple-feel because of the softer edges.

However, I love both my bag and my new phone A LOT ;)

My Hamilton is the perfect Bal for me in that it is a black City but it feels so much sturdier than the regular leather (chevre and agneau alike).
All that said, I am not sure how I would feel if this was my first and only Bal but fortunately it isn't. I still have other Bal's with the regular leather that I can carry for that true slouchy Bal-feel.

One more thing, the Hamilton leather will get softer with use and I suspect, so will the leather on the Metal Edge bags.

Of course, you need to like the Metal Edge on those bags too. I don't and that's why I looked for a Hamilton instead but if you do like it and aslo like the leather then I'd say, you should just enjoy your bag :smile:
If you're not completely in love with the Metal Edge features, then try to look for a Hamilton instead. It's not easy but they do pop up every now and then. Again, I love mine!

Last edited:
I have the same dilemma. I have a metallic edge city in light gray. I really like the metal edge and the gold hardware with gray leather... But because of it being very structure (i haven't carried it yet!), it looks huge for my petite frame. I'm 5 feet and skinny. I own other city bags and they all look alright on me. :sad:

I'm considering selling it but I really like it. I really hope the leather will break in after some use.

I am so torn. I ordered the metallic edge city in black with silver hardware from NM. I haven't picked it up yet but I am on the fence. Sometimes I feel it is too hard from my classic style. But other times, I have always liked Bal but wanted a more substantial leather. It seems heavy, and shiny but is it too edgy?

I'm personally obsessed with it. I think it's the most beautiful bal style yet. I love them all but I find this line to be SO elegant

I'm in the exact situation as you right now!! Ordered a black with ghw but don't know if it's the right bag for me. It's going to be my first Bal bag so I'm not sure if I should go straight to the edge or get a more traditional agneau bag first :wondering

Metallic edge provides the professional/ formal look IMO. Nothing looks edgy about it at all. The leather first comes stiff , but will gradually become softer with usage.

However , I have always preferred the Bal lambskin, and surely it looks edgy. Mettalic edge isn't for me ( at least for now.).
I agree with this! =)

I agree with MrVuitton and Dearest girl - I love the signature smooshy-ness of Bal leather. It's not trying too hard IMO and is relaxed and slightly edgy. I find the ME line a bit too structured, but that's just me.
In fact I like relaxed slouchy styles so much more that I've just sent a Chloe Paraty bag back for this reason as I find its lines a little too formal for my liking.