To keep or return; and, what is your feeling about 's' stamped scarves?

bem3231

O.G.
Aug 10, 2008
Hi everyone -

I have to make a decision and would love to get some feedback. Week before last I purchased an orange / red Paperoles GM silk / cashmere shawl and an Ex Libris en Kimonos 90 cm carre in cw 10 from The Perfect Red Box. This was my first time ever purchasing from a reseller - all of my previous Hermes bags / scarves / jewelery etc. have been purchased new from Hermes boutiques.

The thing is that both items are 's' stamped sale items. The shawl has a half-stamp under the care tag, and the scarf has a faint stamp under the care tag and a tiny snag in the black border. I paid US$1200 for the shawl and US$440 for the scarf.

I have since had second thoughts about these purchases. I did not initially think that the 's' stamps would bother me, but I am beginning to think that they might. Furthermore, after having done more research I'm thinking that I may have overpaid given that these are 's' stamped items, despite being popular.

I have contacted The Perfect Red Box and they have been very gracious and understanding regarding my query about a return. I am taking a day or two to decide how to proceed.

I like both of these items, however am curious to get your feedback about how you feel about 's' stamps in general, and how you feel they should affect an after-market price in particular.

Thank you!:smile:

The "S" stamp doesn't bother me if I knew it was there before I purchased the item.

However, I object on principle to sellers who don't explicitly acknowledge an S stamp. When I decide to part with anything from my collection, I always mention any marks that I notice, and I can't imagine why anyone else wouldn't do likewise. It honestly boggles my mind, because it's not as though resellers don't know they're selling S-stamped items.

I'm glad TPRB is being gracious about your concerns, but I would return an item that wasn't presented with full disclosure. That's strictly my opinion/preference/pet peeve, however, so if you really like the scarves and don't feel put out about the S stamp, by all means keep and enjoy them!

I would not hesitate to buy an item with a "S" stamp if I really wanted it! I haven't seen a noticeable difference in the pricing of sale items vs. non-sale items on major reseller sites... and they all seem to sell at the end of the day ;) Since these are popular designs, I would think the impact should be minimal!

I have one S-stamped scarf that is one of the HGs. It was priced very fairly for an S-stamp and it was disclosed in the listing. If you are not comfortable with the price you paid or the stamps, I would return. If it is not a HG of yours something always comes along at the end of the day, GL.

The "S" stamp doesn't bother me if I knew it was there before I purchased the item.

However, I object on principle to sellers who don't explicitly acknowledge an S stamp. When I decide to part with anything from my collection, I always mention any marks that I notice, and I can't imagine why anyone else wouldn't do likewise. It honestly boggles my mind, because it's not as though resellers don't know they're selling S-stamped items.

I'm glad TPRB is being gracious about your concerns, but I would return an item that wasn't presented with full disclosure. That's strictly my opinion/preference/pet peeve, however, so if you really like the scarves and don't feel put out about the S stamp, by all means keep and enjoy them!

Sorry - I should have clarified that the 's' stamps were fully disclosed in the original listings.

Obviously if you're not in love with them - or don't feel happy with the price - you'll feel better returing them.
I buy my scarves & shawls to wear (so I guess I'm not a "collector"). The "S" stamp wouldn't bother me at all if it's the only way of picking up a design I want.

return it, you will not be happy. you will not be able to appreciate the beauty of the items because you will always focus on the "S". And, you will keep wondering if you purchased it at a fair price.

If you do decide to return the items, you may kick yourself later when another TPF member post an action photo. lol

I have since had second thoughts about these purchases. I did not initially think that the 's' stamps would bother me, but I am beginning to think that they might. Furthermore, after having done more research I'm thinking that I may have overpaid given that these are 's' stamped items, despite being popular.

If you are having misgivings about these items, will you ever wear them? If you won't wear them, do you really need to have $$$ tied up in them?

I'm finally getting past the stage in my life when I would purchase something because "it is good enough" or "this will do for now". All of those items ended up being unworn, unused, unappreciated. And I ended up with a pile of stuff that I wasted my money on.

On the flip side I've bought things that were probably overpriced and worn them a multitude of times, feeling spectacular in them.

Only you can decide whether you will use them. If you won't, send them back. If you feel that you overpaid every time you look at them, send them back. BUT if you love them and WILL wear them, you didn't overpay.

If you are having misgivings about these items, will you ever wear them? If you won't wear them, do you really need to have $$$ tied up in them?

I'm finally getting past the stage in my life when I would purchase something because "it is good enough" or "this will do for now". All of those items ended up being unworn, unused, unappreciated. And I ended up with a pile of stuff that I wasted my money on.

On the flip side I've bought things that were probably overpriced and worn them a multitude of times, feeling spectacular in them.

Only you can decide whether you will use them. If you won't, send them back. If you feel that you overpaid every time you look at them, send them back. BUT if you love them and WILL wear them, you didn't overpay.

This perfectly reflects my own experience and is wise advice as well.
:goodpost:

Hi everyone -

I have to make a decision and would love to get some feedback. Week before last I purchased an orange / red Paperoles GM silk / cashmere shawl and an Ex Libris en Kimonos 90 cm carre in cw 10 from The Perfect Red Box. This was my first time ever purchasing from a reseller - all of my previous Hermes bags / scarves / jewelery etc. have been purchased new from Hermes boutiques.

The thing is that both items are 's' stamped sale items. The shawl has a half-stamp under the care tag, and the scarf has a faint stamp under the care tag and a tiny snag in the black border. I paid US$1200 for the shawl and US$440 for the scarf.

I have contacted The Perfect Red Box and they have been very gracious and understanding regarding my query about a return. I am taking a day or two to decide how to proceed.

I like both of these items, however am curious to get your feedback about how you feel about 's' stamps in general, and how you feel they should affect an after-market price in particular.

Thank you!:smile:
A tough call.
This is a personal decision, so if you love the items and do not mind the Sale status and price, then you should keep them.

My own position is that I will not pay this type of premium for an S stamped item. While I certainly understand the need to make a profit, the price inflation of "S" stamped items has outpaced the increase on non-sale items. A year ago, an S stamped item would not have sold for over retail. My point is that resellers are now seeing higher profit margins on sale items than non sale items. The only way to reverse that is if the market stops purchasing at these prices. OF course, that is easy to say in theory, when I am not faced with an actual decision, lol!

As far a your items go, these are both popular items, so there is a good chance that you would not be able to locate them at a lower price. If you love them and will enjoy them, you should certainly consider keeping them, even with the stamp and price.
A bird in the hand, as they say...

I agree with the above replies, and in particular, with Monceau's. I have bought a few S stamped items if the silks were rare and no longer available in the stores and enjoy wearing them immensely. But, I also have my limits as to what I feel is a fair price I am willing to pay. I very much dislike when any seller does not disclose the S stamp. In my mind it is dishonest for a knowledgeable seller not to disclose this as an 'issue' as much as not disclosing if a scarf or bag has imperfections that should be noted. The reason H stamps these for sale is to alert the buyer and public that an item has been sold at the sales. In my mind, the value is or should be less than retail due to it being a sale item, and should be reflected in any pricing or reselling accordingly. That said, a recent Paperoles GM in cream with an S stamp fully disclosed went for as high as 2300. USD. If there are buyers willing to pay, with full disclosure, it is what the market will bear for a rare or coveted colorway. It seems that since you are posing this question, you may not feel comfortable having paid full retail price that were sale items. If you loved them, you would be happy and fulfilled you found your grails without reservation. It is very gracious of the seller to accept the return. Hope this is of help to you, and good luck on your decision!

I have an "S"-stamped grail GM silk scarf (the Kelly en Perles in my avatar—and the "S" stamp is pretty vivid) as well as nearly half a dozen "S" sale bags (including, again, the Dalvy in my avatar), and I love them unconditionally. The "S" means nothing to me; it's simply another way to acquire what I desire so much despite being nowhere near a boutique. If you knew about the "S" when purchasing the scarves, I think you should enjoy them and not worry about a stamp. What matters most to me is if something's pretty much new. Most of my "S" things were never used or used just once, and that's worth whatever the price.

I feel the exact same.

If I absolutely loved a piece, it would not bother me. I too am at the point where I must really love an item to buy it regardless of rarity or popularity. Even if it is considered a holy grail piece, if it's not for me, I don't buy it. Now it's all about how I feel regardless of price.

I have also spent on things that were overpriced but because I love the pieces so much, it's worth every penny. I typically know within a few seconds if something has to be mine and these are the items I've never had any regrets on. When I have to really think about it, nine times out of ten it's time for me to move on.

Unless the 'S' was printed on the actual silk and was highly visible (annoyingly, as most flaws tend to be) and I really wanted that design, I think I could live with it. Then again, I don't re-sell so perhaps there is not so much an issue for me.

How much I would pay for something, I would have worked out with myself earlier and then, all being well, forget about. Seriously, a train fair, a cup of coffee and toast, a magazine and some chocolate and the difference would be spent anyway

I have an "S"-stamped grail GM silk scarf (the Kelly en Perles in my avatar—and the "S" stamp is pretty vivid) as well as nearly half a dozen "S" sale bags (including, again, the Dalvy in my avatar), and I love them unconditionally. The "S" means nothing to me; it's simply another way to acquire what I desire so much despite being nowhere near a boutique. If you knew about the "S" when purchasing the scarves, I think you should enjoy them and not worry about a stamp. What matters most to me is if something's pretty much new. Most of my "S" things were never used or used just once, and that's worth whatever the price.

Unless the 'S' was printed on the actual silk and was highly visible (annoyingly, as most flaws tend to be) and I really wanted that design, I think I could live with it. Then again, I don't re-sell so perhaps there is not so much an issue for me.

How much I would pay for something, I would have worked out with myself earlier and then, all being well, forget about. Seriously, a train fair, a cup of coffee and toast, a magazine and some chocolate and the difference would be spent anyway

I agree with you two!