To keep or not to keep.. Bag of my dreams did not give me the feeling

livestar23

O.G.
Oct 11, 2006
I have been lusting after a Lindsey bag since I first noticed the plum patent in the fall. A bag hadn't caught my eye like that since the Sabrina. I didn't buy her, but have always wanted her. Then the orchid color came into my life and I fell hard. I bought the patent orchid Lindsey and she arrived yesterday. I didn't have that feeling when I opened the box. I thought I would. But it wasn't there. I am out of town and hope that when I get back and spend more time with her we'll hit it off.

I desperately want something in orchid. I feel like Sophia is too small, not a fan of Maggie or Abigail. I saw there is a patent Hailey in orchid and am wondering about her. I am fearful she is too small. I have seen reveals where she holds more than appears from the outside. If I'm used to large bags like an Emerson or a large Sabrina will I feel like I am missing something? I don't carry a ton but like having the space. I typically have a large zip around wallet, small cosmetic case, sunglasses, small lotion, and small hand sanitizer. Sometimes I will have a small planner or some work papers. Thanks for your thoughts about this.

Like you said, I would set her aside for now and look at her again after you get back. It has happened to me b4 where a bag and I didn't get a long at first but then later on liked a lot.

It sounds like the size is a factor for you. I wouldn't get a smaller size just to get a patent orchid because you might not end up using her at all if you like/want a larger bag.

smileglu said:
Like you said, I would set her aside for now and look at her again after you get back. It has happened to me b4 where a bag and I didn't get a long at first but then later on liked a lot.

It sounds like the size is a factor for you. I wouldn't get a smaller size just to get a patent orchid because you might not end up using her at all if you like/want a larger bag.

Thank you! I will try that. I'm so sad she came yesterday and we didn't have the time to get acquainted. I think another tpf'er said it best in another thread- Lindsey should be squishy. I can't help but feel that way about this bag now that I have it. Did not see this coming!

Sometimes for me bags aren't love at first sight, either. Sometimes they just have to get broken in or seen on someone else and then it's love.

What exactly do you not like about it?

I agree with smileglu, dont get a smaller bag just to get something in orchid. I was in love with orchid from the reveals Ive seen, but when I saw it in the store today I liked it but it didn't seem the same, a bit darker I guess and not as pink as in pictures. Did you try it with sunlight? If it's not love, could you exchange for the plum patent lindsey? and then get a wristlet or wallet in orchid?

emilybug said:
Sometimes for me bags aren't love at first sight, either. Sometimes they just have to get broken in or seen on someone else and then it's love.

What exactly do you not like about it?

I think it's the fact that it's not soft. I know that sounds crazy because we all know patent leather isn't soft. It's almost too stiff. I think the other piece is that maybe I subconsciously don't want another north/south bag. That's delving way too deep in my psyche for a discussion about a bag.

madisonlindsey said:
I agree with smileglu, dont get a smaller bag just to get something in orchid. I was in love with orchid from the reveals Ive seen, but when I saw it in the store today I liked it but it didn't seem the same, a bit darker I guess and not as pink as in pictures. Did you try it with sunlight? If it's not love, could you exchange for the plum patent lindsey? and then get a wristlet or wallet in orchid?

Thought about not getting anything in orchid but a wristlet and exchanging the bag for a baby sage or a gathered something. But the gathered brings back the Sophia/Lindsey debate. It's like there are too many choices. I think I need to sit on this a little bit.

This has been true for me many times. Sometimes I won't like the bag displayed at the store but when I see someone at a store/mall wearing it, it would catch my eye and I'll "follow" the wearer with my eye to see the bag on her. If I like the bag on her then that's a positive sign. Somebags are the opposite too, that is, looks good on the shelf but doesn't look good when carried.

What I've begun to do when I'm ambivalent about a bag or deciding between bags is ask the SA to put it on and model it for me and see how I like it on her. It really helps that they all wear black:biggrin: Sometimes what I'm wearing (prints/opposing color or having a bad hair day so I'm looking at myself:lol: instead of the bag on me) clashes/distracts me from the bag so its hard to judge it. The SAs are more than happy to model too :biggrin:

I think it's the fact that it's not soft. I know that sounds crazy because we all know patent leather isn't soft. It's almost too stiff. I think the other piece is that maybe I subconsciously don't want another north/south bag. That's delving way too deep in my psyche for a discussion about a bag.

Lol! I completely understand! It would be delving too deeply into MY psyche to analyze why I can't go to sleep at night because my mind is spinning, trying to decide which bag I want next!

I only have one patent and it's the crinkle patent. It's the guava charm tote and I got it almost 2 years ago. It has softened up so nicely and is perfect, but I don't know about these newer, smoother patents. And as far as the shape....too bad they are not making large Sophias anymore. That would be perfect for what you want!

smileglu said:
This has been true for me many times. Sometimes I won't like the bag displayed at the store but when I see someone at a store/mall wearing it, I would catch my eye and "follow" the wearer with my eye to see the bag for a little longer. Somebags are the opposite too, that is, looks good on the shelf but doesn't look good when carried.

What I've begun to do when I'm ambivalent about a bag or deciding between bags is ask the SA to put it on and model it for me and see how I like it on her. It really helps that they all wear black:biggrin: Sometimes what I'm wearing (prints/opposing color or having a bad hair day so I'm looking at myself:lol: instead of the bag on me) clashes/distracts me from the bag so its hard to judge it. The SAs are more than happy to model too :biggrin:

I agree about being distracted about my appearance when at the store. I have a feeling I will love her on someone else though. Love the color so much. I have an Emerson, which to me is exactly the same bag. Maybe the whole problem is that I'm used to my Emerson that IS squishy and light. I'm afraid being patent Lindsey will be stiff and heavy. Is lindsey a heavier bag than Emerson?

This has been true for me many times. Sometimes I won't like the bag displayed at the store but when I see someone at a store/mall wearing it, it would catch my eye and I'll "follow" the wearer with my eye to see the bag on her. If I like the bag on her then that's a positive sign. Somebags are the opposite too, that is, looks good on the shelf but doesn't look good when carried.

I always put my stuff in and model around the store. But many times I've ended up buying bags I never would've considered, simply because I loved they way they looked on others!

I swear, we, the public, are Coach's best advertisements! We should be compensated!

OOH, hard decision. As suggested above I would wait a bit and see if you really fall for her. In the past I have bought several bags because I wanted the color so bad and decided after purchasing that the style was just not for me. As long as you have the receipt, tag is still attached and the bag is unused you can always take her back and get something you really are in love with. Good luck with your decision and let us know how it turns out, granny

Hi~~
I can totally relate about wanting a bag so much and then not liking it after I get it. I have done that with a few!! LOL I have also not liked a bag and then grown to like it, after I buy it. I am thinking that away about Ms. Lindsey. I first saw her in Persimmon and passed her up. I then saw her again and bought her. I got her home and tried my things in her and thought, She looks like a stretched out Sophia. I returned her. I have seen the Gathered Lindseys and thought the Bordeaux would be a great one to have. The Plum Patent Lindsey is pretty but I think the Patent coating is thicker and more "plastic" than in days of old. I have yet to see the Orchid color.
Good Luck on your decision. Coach is making it harder and harder to chose a bag because they keep releasing new ones that I like better.

Lynne :biggrin:

Good morning. I'm a big bag girl myself and also a fan of the large Sabrina, like you, OP. I've had a Hailey and, while it can hold all of my stuff, it gets heavy (weight is not well distributed) and the one thin strap digs into my shoulder. I wound up giving my Hailey to my daughter. I'm a Lindsey fan and currently own way more than I want to admit to. I would do as the other posters suggest and put your things into a bag and walk around the store for a bit. See how the Hailey feels, if you're still interested.

As far as the patent on the Lindsey--I carried the pewter every day for three months. It is NOT smooshy at all but that's not what I expect from patent. It holds its shape, and its shine and gets comments everywhere. I haven't seen the orchid in person but plan to very soon.

Good luck with your decision.