To keep or not keep... and questions for maintenance

Sylvain

O.G.
Mar 12, 2012
Dear all,

I just received a preloved Birkin 35 in orange chevre. Before I pulled the trigger, I already knew that the bag has some flaws, but now seeing it in person, there are a number of questions I would like to clarify with the help of all you knowledgeable TPF'lers before making a final decision as to whether to keep. This partly has to do with the potential cost I might incur on top of the regular SPA cost. At this point, I have 4 main concerns:
1.) The clochette has a number of quite deep prick marks. I think I read that a replacement clochette is about 150-200 USD.
Does anyone know the exact price?
2.) The bag (and more so the dustbag) has a slight perfurme/incense smell. Some of you wrote that you use baking soda or coffee to remove any smell, but how do you actually use? D you put it in a cup and the cup in the bag?
3.) I was informed that the turnlock has some abrasion/pitting. In fact, I can actually feel that the top layer of the metal is
missing on some parts. When inspecting, though in some areas, there was little silver foil peeling off from the turnpin.
Has anyone ever had this and knows what this is? i can live with the visual flaw, but am I set for a turnlock replacement sooner than later?
4.) The lining on the inside bottom hs quite a deep mark. I bellieve the lining is actually cut (I can see some grey inside the cut), however the leather is not peeling and there is nothing visible on the outside. Is this anything to worry about?

Furthermore, please let me know how your clean/disinfect the inside of your bags, especially when receiving them preloved. Some of you recomment Lexol wipes. Are these the right ones: https://hqs-shop.de/Lexol-Leather-Cleaner-25-Tuecher
Any other recommendations, since Lexol does not seem to be readily available in Europe?

Thank you all so much in advance!

Hi dear, as I was anticipating the bag to reach you, would you mind sharing some pictures? I had expected some wear and tear but it sounds like it would require more efforts to restore it. Considering the price, is it worth keeping and investing (clochette and keys cost me a whopping 250€ but it was box leather, not sure that played a role) or rather purchasing one that is a bit more expensive but in better condition? I am specifically wary of that cut. Sorry I never had any hardware replaced so can only comment on the regular touch up prices in Germany.

Dear pinkorchid,
to visualize better, here are some pictures. I do not plan on wearing the clochette regularly, so at this point, I do not mind too much about the dmage itself, however - as you stated - I want to factor in the various price components to have a "full set" to see whether the price is then still acceptable for me. The turnlock is extremely difficult to capture, but what you see is not shadow.

Attachments

• cut inside 1.jpeg
    cut inside 1.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 335
Photos

Attachments

• 4130E4D4-5B95-4712-9C47-E39C4851CEB3.jpeg
    4130E4D4-5B95-4712-9C47-E39C4851CEB3.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 336
  • 80035744-9B65-4818-B210-E65B10BAFA88.jpeg
    80035744-9B65-4818-B210-E65B10BAFA88.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 332
  • 0DDEB89D-69DC-428F-8939-EB0F45A207B7.jpeg
    0DDEB89D-69DC-428F-8939-EB0F45A207B7.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 339
  • 725CBDF1-42D6-454C-BE51-4726FF1EBC33.jpeg
    725CBDF1-42D6-454C-BE51-4726FF1EBC33.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 341
  • BA0B13F7-33F5-44C3-A23D-85C8D6731DA8.jpeg
    BA0B13F7-33F5-44C3-A23D-85C8D6731DA8.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 340
That poor thing! Looks like a dog chewed on the clochette...will reply to your message in detail later or tomorrow but since I know the price (and the other signs of use), I personally would send it back and wait for one in better condition. This seems to be too much work that has to go into this, especially since H won’t touch the interior and those scratches and holes would bother me. The texture and colour are beautiful, though!

I second the above, to put this bag back in shape you'll have to splurge quite the sum at the H SPA and is it really worth it? I don't know what you paid for this Birkin, but I would personally return it and wait for a better one to come by... sometimes we need to have a little more patience before great things show up - I'm sure your Birkin is still out there and will find its way to you soon.

I guess for me it would depend on what you paid. Expectations make more sense to me as to what's acceptable. I think if you won't use the Clochette much..it's fine.

I second the above, to put this bag back in shape you'll have to splurge quite the sum at the H SPA and is it really worth it? I don't know what you paid for this Birkin, but I would personally return it and wait for a better one to come by... sometimes we need to have a little more patience before great things show up - I'm sure your Birkin is still out there and will find its way to you soon.

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. :yahoo:
Unless you purchased this for a really good price, I'd return it and wait for the "right" one to come up.
I searched and searched, asked questions, and patiently waited until just the right Birkin became available and then I pounced upon that bag. :coolio:
The right bag is in store for you if you will have patience. :tup:

Reactions: heifer
Hi Sylvain,

I had a replacement tirette and clochette made in 2016 for a box Kelly in Paris and it was £135. The turn lock was also replaced for £130. This was four years ago though so prices may have changed.

My barenia Kelly with brushed palladium hardware also developed a chip/ peel in it almost identical to that one. It’s an aesthetic rather than functional issue, so I guess if you could live with it then it won’t actually need replacing any time soon. It’s just if the brass showing bothers you.

The cut in the lining would worry me more, as I’m not sure if Hermes would repair that and if they did it would be a new lining, hideously expensive and not really worth it I imagine.

I don’t know the price of the bag, but if it’s the one I suspect it is, from a UK shop, then the price was pretty good for UK preowned prices. If it were me and it were exactly the size/ leather/ colour I wanted I’d be tempted to buy a liner to prevent the interior getting worse and then look at replacing the turnlock / clochette at a later date.

The smell I’m not so sure about. If you decide to keep it and it’s a later style dustbag (the most recent herringbone version), I’ve popped mine in the washing machine with no problem. The bag itself however I can’t help with. I used the baking soda trick on a Chanel bag once but didn’t work unfortunately. Cleaning the bag with the wipes you have pictured may help, as will using it in the open air plenty if the smell is only faint. But I’m guessing here!

Reactions: navicular
Dear all,

thank you so much for all your replies. I did bring the bag to my boutique and was informed that apparently, the lining cannot be replaced (or it would cost so much that you could pretty much buy a new bag instead).

@Tonimichelle, yes you probably got the seller right. :idea: When I purchased the bag, I was aware of some flaws and taking these into consideration, I felt it was a good price, too. However, with the additional issues, I am not so sure of that anymore. I did have a previous transaction with that seller which was absolutely flawless and compared to that transaction, I feel that the price-performance ratio is off....

Dear all,

thank you so much for all your replies. I did bring the bag to my boutique and was informed that apparently, the lining cannot be replaced (or it would cost so much that you could pretty much buy a new bag instead).

@Tonimichelle, yes you probably got the seller right. :idea: When I purchased the bag, I was aware of some flaws and taking these into consideration, I felt it was a good price, too. However, with the additional issues, I am not so sure of that anymore. I did have a previous transaction with that seller which was absolutely flawless and compared to that transaction, I feel that the price-performance ratio is off....
That’s a shame, have you decided to return then?