to buy or not to buy? used black birkin 35cm

should i buy?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

moose86

Feb 27, 2007
i've been offered a used 35 cm birkin, black clemence leather with GH, c letter stamp (from late 90s i think). everything looks to be in good condition except that the 'hermes paris made in france' writing seems to have gone a bronze colour instead of the usual gold. do you think this is a problem or should i go ahead with it? price is very good, from a family friend. no question about authenticity. opinions greatly appreciated.

moose, the $5000 is probably more than your friend paid if she bought it in boutique around 1999. Being an 8 year old bag, and we're assuming it is in great condition (?) no wear on the bottom corners, no scratches?

I would ask her if it's her best price. You do see bags of this age/condition being offered on Ebay, and people are buying them so obviously, these people think them to be worth the price they are paying.

Of course, you have the bag in hand and have a better perspective than I do so the question is, do YOU think it is worth $5000?

i know you said you have no concerns about authenticity but that the stamp changed color would concern me--i have old bags..........none has changed color--maybe worn off a bit around the edges

We need pictures (in the authenticate this thread). The discolouring of the hardware has my alarm bells ringing. I have bags older than this and they look brand spanking new, no discolouration of the hardware WHATSOEVER.
The price is not great for such an old bag, from a private source.

I would like to see pics so I can judge authenticity & condition better before I would give an opinion. Like Hello2703, I am concerned about the change of color in the stamping.