To buy or not? Revisiting Dior's Gaucho

Apr 29, 2008
Back when Dior was still making Gaucho bags, I owned two, but eventually sold both to make room for new purchases. I always sort of missed them and recently came upon a like-new black double gaucho for $265. But for some reason, I can't pull the trigger. I'd carry it around as a casual bag with jeans and don't really care that it's not trendy and that I don't see them around any more. Is it completely out of style, or still a beautiful bag?

It's still a beautiful, durable bag with a cool cow-girl style. I love the aged leather.

If you can't pull the trigger though, then it's probably a sign. Maybe you can save the money for another older Dior style that you love.

I was hoping for olive or red and this one is black. But it's such a great price and in perfect condition. Is black too hard looking IRL for the style?

Not in the case of the Gaucho. The leather is waxed so it has a high sheen and takes away from the black. There is also tanned lambskin trim which makes it look less black (which is probably why the bag looks so versatile with different outfits).

Not in the case of the Gaucho. The leather is waxed so it has a high sheen and takes away from the black. There is also tanned lambskin trim which makes it look less black (which is probably why the bag looks so versatile with different outfits).

Thank you! I think that I'm going to go for it. Black was a big part of my concern. It's been a while since I saw it in person.

I wear mine all the time and enjoy the fact that you don't see them everywhere on everyone. It makes having them more special and appreciated. As opposed to the world carrying a Louis and it feeling less than special, unless you spend an upwards of 4-10k on an LV. At which you would probably start eyeing Hermes or other brands that are better quality.