To all the lawyers.. I need HELP

Virginia

Happiness
O.G.
Sep 21, 2005
hey guys, i just received a letter from a collection agency saying that they have purchased my account from Sprint and i owe $1310.10 and it is a debt collection notice. i am freaking out. this is not my account! i have a feeling the account was opened under my ss# when my house was burglarized. how do i go about this?? how do i tell them and prove that it wasn't me??

any advice would be greatly appreciated. i am totally freaking out. :sad:

The first thing you need to do is call the police and file a fraud report. Call Sprint and get more information on the charges and the account, and explain the situation. I'd also call the three credit bureaus and put a fraud alert on your CC accounts.

I know there are some lawyers on here who could probably offer you better advice....

Not a lawyer, but something on my husbands cell was copied while we were on vacation in CA two years ago. This resulted in a $3700 phone bill in one month's time. I flipped. I called Cingular right away, as I saw calls being made to Mexico from CA while we were in Oklahoma. They actually have a fraud department, and they should be able to track the cell phone calls you actually did make versus the ones from a location other than yours. Apparently, this is not an uncommon thing, but it is nightmarish when it is happening to you. I would recommend you contact them immediately, as well as those recommended in the previous post. I'm sorry this has happened to you.

Sorry this is happening to you :sad: I don't know much about how to go about these things.. but I'm sure sprint will sort it out for you! As tln said, call them immidately!!

Definitely do what these ladies said. I'm just hoping your credit report isn't affected yet cause it's so hard to get it fixed in stolen identities cases. Good luck and let us know what happens. I'm praying it gets fixed quickly.

Thanks everyone! I'm going to call them today (since I found out around midnight last night) and I'm also writing a letter of dispute to the collection agency so that they will forward me the original creditors bill, etc. with the account #'s and when the line was opened..

tln.. unfortunately this wasn't jus being used on my current line. the people who opened it opened up a total different phone # that I was unaware of and had their own acct. Good thing though I am a current sprint customer so they should see that I always pay my bill on time and compare minutes usage, location of calls, etc..

once again, thanks everyone!!