'Tis the Season (helpful hints and abominations)

Fimpagebag

Jul 27, 2013
Pinch Purse Island
As the holidays loom, it's time to remind ourselves that not all our loved ones share our passion for purses. As much as we may love bags, others often don't. So in the spirit of the season, let us all remember a gift can be a curse if it's not something the recipient will actually use.
As for the other side of the sword, unless someone close to you appreciates precisely what bag you crave, do not say a word about your current obsession. We all have those well meaning, godawful bags that lie buried in the bottom of our closet that were given to us with the best of intentions by our loved ones. Do not let this happen to you. Remind your nearest (clueless) and dearest that you have all the bags you could ever possibly want and what you would really like is_________.

Happy Hunting & Hinting

Attachments

dcooney4

O.G.
Apr 15, 2007
This is so true. I have a few that were given that I adore and others that have never seen the light of day. I have finally decided that after one year I have the right to get rid of it.

Fimpagebag

Jul 27, 2013
Pinch Purse Island
This is so true. I have a few that were given that I adore and others that have never seen the light of day. I have finally decided that after one year I have the right to get rid of it.
Absolutely! Even if they have to be smuggled out in the dark of night and spirited away as a charitable donation, there are limits to what our closets can accomodate! :tup:

BTW, love your adorable and festive avatar!

Amazona

Crazy bird lady
Mar 31, 2013
Finland
If I want or need a bag for present I specify what it is, down to color etc. If the gift buyer thinks it's too expensive (most of the time they do) they just get something else. BF solved the problem by funding my bag purchase on my latest Bday. I got the bag I wanted and he got the easy way out!
The thing is, I really don't need much. So for the last 5 years my parents have been buying me glassware from a specific design company and that's fine. Most of the other stuff I used to get wasn't very useful so I ended up asking people to stop buying things and giving me high quality chocolate instead - that's always useful! :biggrin:

Fimpagebag

Jul 27, 2013
Pinch Purse Island
If I want or need a bag for present I specify what it is, down to color etc. If the gift buyer thinks it's too expensive (most of the time they do) they just get something else. BF solved the problem by funding my bag purchase on my latest Bday. I got the bag I wanted and he got the easy way out!
The thing is, I really don't need much. So for the last 5 years my parents have been buying me glassware from a specific design company and that's fine. Most of the other stuff I used to get wasn't very useful so I ended up asking people to stop buying things and giving me high quality chocolate instead - that's always useful! :biggrin:
Brilliant! :woohoo:

babysunshine

Aug 20, 2014
Singapore
This is a good timely reminder! And so true. I know for sure my family has already got everything we need, including bags and wallets and purses. We would ask the person what he or she needs, or will need, and we would go shopping together to get the item. Less clutter and consumerism!

tiggycat

Jul 29, 2009
I have my husband trained not to buy me anything (other than a souvenir/figurine/mug/pen or something similar that doesn't cost a lot) unless I pick it out. He doesn't like shopping anyway, so when a gift occasion is coming up I go and choose what I want (usually a handbag) and then he goes with me another time just to pay for it so he thinks of it as buying me a gift. No point in spending a lot of money for something you won't use, especially if you have limited storage space like we have. That said, a few times I've picked out handbags for myself and then not liked them - I recently gave away a 'brand new' Coach that I'd had for years and only used a few times because it didn't work for me.