Tired of luxury

kate2828

Feb 19, 2017
Have you ever gotten to a point where you're just tired of luxury goods whether handbags or accessories or jewelry? Don't get me wrong, I love lux but I sometimes go through phases where I'm not excited by lux. Sometimes all of the bags and jewelry and accessory just look the same and I start also questioning whether I even really need to buy these things in my life! Yes they are nice to have but the feeling of having the nice thing goes away after a little while. I have an upcoming birthday and want to treat myself but even the few things I had been excited to purchase for myself are kind of ho hum now. It's likely just a phase. It may be because I see images of all these lux items everyday on Instagram. Anyway just curious to know whether anyone else goes through these phases.

Totally in the same boat as you.

I feel there's nothing out there that'll top what I have already.

I also feel that the fun of shopping isn't there as much anymore, probably because I feel there's no lux item I have to have.

I don't even have much of a wish list for my birthday.

It seems to cycle through, perhaps there's nothing of offer that fits my style. Probably have to wait until something that we find exciting comes along.

Totally in the same boat as you.

I feel there's nothing out there that'll top what I have already.

I also feel that the fun of shopping isn't there as much anymore, probably because I feel there's no lux item I have to have.

I don't even have much of a wish list for my birthday.

It seems to cycle through, perhaps there's nothing of offer that fits my style. Probably have to wait until something that we find exciting comes along.

I feel like I already have what I wanted too! I used to get excited with seasonal items from chanel and Gucci but even these things are very blah to me right now. I am over marmont (no offense to anyone) and ho hum about other things too. I hope when fall comes around I get excited again.

Reactions: bakeacookie
Have you ever gotten to a point where you're just tired of luxury goods whether handbags or accessories or jewelry? Don't get me wrong, I love lux but I sometimes go through phases where I'm not excited by lux. Sometimes all of the bags and jewelry and accessory just look the same and I start also questioning whether I even really need to buy these things in my life! Yes they are nice to have but the feeling of having the nice thing goes away after a little while. I have an upcoming birthday and want to treat myself but even the few things I had been excited to purchase for myself are kind of ho hum now. It's likely just a phase. It may be because I see images of all these lux items everyday on Instagram. Anyway just curious to know whether anyone else goes through these phases.

Kate2828, it may be a phase as you say. Or it might be a reflection of your sagacity. You may very well be sated, not jaded.

To use a sport's analogy, it has to be something very special to "crack your lineup."

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    27.2 KB · Views: 3,279

I love bags. I starting buying and selling bags a couple years back and somehow in doing so, I lost the committment for them. I lust for them, but I don't have the itch to keep them for long. I get to appreciate them for a little and when they sell, I'm not hurt over it. I move onto the next. I love the process of seeking and lusting and getting and waiting for it to arrive. Once, I bought myself a nice bag that I saved up for and ached so long for it. When I finally got the bag, the excitement was over and I listed it for sale. It's like I lost interest. Maybe I'm weird. haha. Or maybe it's because I buy and sell.

I do love luxury purses though. I like getting the chance to hold them and experience the craftsmanship, but I never feel the need to keep them for long.

I feel the same way. I preordered a Gucci bag from NM and it was supposed to ship by 11/06. I got an email today that it is shipping today. Instead of feeling excited I almost had a panic attack. Why? Because my heart is not in this purchase 100%. I had a VIP 20% discount on an order with no designer restrictions, so I "settled" for this bag hoping to become happy about it later. Two short years ago I would have been over the moon excited. I love handbags but I feel like most designers today are recycling ideas and copying one another. The price is not the issue. I am more than willing to pay for quality luxury goods. I'm just not committed right now and not very sure I will be again anytime soon.

Reactions: kate2828
i feel the same way...I cant seem to find anything that I love...I just sold off most of my bag collection and right now have an mz Wallace black crossbody nylon bag and a chloe crossbody Marcie in navy...looking for a 3rd and final bag to round off the collection(asking for opinions in another thread) and then I feel like I'm done...nothing seems to put me over the top anymore....
I feel the same way. I preordered a Gucci bag from NM and it was supposed to ship by 11/06. I got an email today that it is shipping today. Instead of feeling excited I almost had a panic attack. Why? Because my heart is not in this purchase 100%. I had a VIP 20% discount on an order with no designer restrictions, so I "settled" for this bag hoping to become happy about it later. Two short years ago I would have been over the moon excited. I love handbags but I feel like most designers today are recycling ideas and copying one another. The price is not the issue. I am more than willing to pay for quality luxury goods. I'm just not committed right now and not very sure I will be again anytime soon.

Reactions: kate2828

Your timing feels perfect because I am in one of those phases right now! I've been through it before so I know it's a phase, but the first time I felt this way I did wonder if it was a permanent shift and what the heck was going on with me! I think a couple of things happen: I go through a phase of wearing high end bags all the time, and then I suddenly feel conspicuous and want to fly under the radar. I tend to be pretty understated anyway (no flashy logos or super trendy items) but all of a sudden I'll just feel like I'm wearing my wallet on the outside (even though I know most people probably don't think about my bags other than to maybe notice it's a nice bag!). I also get tired of carrying heavy bags, and will solve both problems by carrying Longchamp bags for a while. Then, I'll miss my higher-end bags and start wearing them again.

When I'm in one of those phases, I do question why I "needed" to spend so much money on bags. I don't think that's a bad thing -- it keeps me more balanced and prevents me from wanting to run out and buy every pretty thing I see here on tpf!

I'm a bit the same. I have bought quite a few bags over the last few months that have all gone back. I just don't have the same excitement as I used to have. Good for the bank balance! I receive them and realise is just *another* bag. I still love bags and love what I have but anything new, I find I already have something in my closet that fills its spot already and I don't actually need the new addition I just want it for the collection even though I know I'll barely use it because its not really different to what I have so I won't grab for it much...

In the middle of selling a whole bunch at the moment and maybe I will buy some to fill the spots of those I sell in the future. If I really think about it I have found the price increases vs lowering quality across most brands has probably contributed to the change in my buying habits too.

Dunno... on the one hand, I enjoy and use the few lux items I own (a combo of H, LV, Chloe and Mulberry), I rotate them daily, take good care of them, and look forward to using each one.

But, on the other hand, I don´t "covet" anything at all at the moment, I don´t stalk online boutiques in general or lose sleep over any one item in particular, I only have two-three things on my hypothetical lottery win wish list (and no, they don´t include a Birkin/Kelly or anything by Chanel, haha), and, while I genuinely appreciate seeing beautiful lux items carried by other ladies and gents, it never triggers the "me wants too" reflex.

Guess that´s the definition of bag/lux happy? :smile: