Tired of being seen as a snob!

I agree, very difficult to find people who find sober activities fun these days. Tbh disturbing.

As for the handbag, I am more of a cardigan with loafers and simple jewelry as my go to. I think people perceive me as over dressed when it is my casual look? I just don’t like showing up to things in a hoodie or jogger pants, and some people are like “it’s lunch why do you have on loafers”, again, 22 so probably why.

I’m vain in the sense I’m very strict on my exercise/diet lifestyle, and I can honestly say I really think I’m a good looking gal! Lol. I’m not like some amazing beauty but I’m confident which also seems to annoy people. It’s interesting to me because everyone around my age promotes “body positivity” and “love yourself”... but then say I’m vain because I find myself attractive!

Just a big bummer while trying to make friends. Some people really aren’t concerned with it, it’s just interesting because I have a certain lifestyle and confidence people think I’m looking down on them for not being like me, without even getting to know me!

Exhibit A: I went out with friends and they’re drinking at like 2 Pm and I don’t and i dont care that they are I just don’t personally find alcohol fun/yummy (Riesling is my exception lol!) and they’re like oh you’re too good to drink cheap margaritas andhave fun at 2pm. It’s like, maybe that’s how you are interpreting it but I explained to other people multiple times it’s not something I enjoy the taste of/want to do unless it’s a celebration.

Also, I am super strict on my skincare because I don’t want to wrinkle. I’ve had friends ask for my skin routine THEN in response go wow you do all that, you’re really into yourself... like so why are you asking my skincare routine to be rude! Lol

It’s true that some people just don’t like to see a confident girl who thinks highly of herself. I second the poster who said to look for some fitness oriented friends who prefer not to touch alcohol for health reasons :smile:

I don’t think your current friends will be slowing down anytime soon, especially those who are accustomed to weekend binge drinking. I’ve noticed that the fun party friends don’t taper off on their drinking until early 30s or a life change, like having a child. So you’ll have to be the one to make the change in choosing new friends.

I find similar issues on my instagram because I post mostly selfie?
From what I'm reading, I wouldn't want to be your friend either.
Keep in mind that you're only 22 years old (aka a baby). You're not "fully cooked" yet, as my mom would say. You have room to grow and develop a personality beyond Selfies and Loafers (coming soon on ABC). Best of luck, though. I'm certain you'll land on your feet.

Move on and find someone who you can click with. Age is irrelevant! At 30, I still get people who thinks iam showy with a collection of luxury items, and judgey on my preference to be medication/chemical free. No judgement only when you're with people who have similar interest and lifestyle. Again age is irrelevant, people moves into different stage/phase of life at different age all the time.

Ooohmigoodness! Lol! I’m curious what crowd you are hanging with that thinks your loafers are too extra and only want to drink?? My DS is 26 and my DD is 23. We have been lucky to launch them well so they have nice things. Some gifted but most from them working hard within great careers.

My DD is a consultant at a top firm who loves fashion and dressing well. I haven’t bought any of her clothes since she was perhaps 20 but I have bought her a few bags - all premier designer. And, she happily raids my collection. So, on any given day she’s rocking her own Chanel or perhaps one of my Diors or some other amazing bag.

She’s only 5’ so she mostly wears heels and would think loafers were pretty causal. She isn’t much of a drinker, doesn’t smoke, doesn’t do drugs. Her social media is full of her doing fun things with her friends like cooking classes, working out, going to the spa and lots of travel. Seriously, these girls will go on a spa / beach / museum trip in a minute. And they save up their money to do so.

I’m a proud mom but, my point isn’t to brag. She’s not perfect and she’s still growing as a person. My point is to say that in these ways she’s not special. She is but one of the large group of young women in her various social circles who do this (college days, sorority, work, church, etc.) They are all having a lot of fun with each other and all look really gorgeous doing it.

So, again, I’d ask what pool are you swimming in? Are these college degreed women and men? Ones from solid families (economic level irrelevant)? Are they goal oriented? Do they have relatively demanding careers? People who are working hard and looking forward aren’t usually the ones to even be able to hang out drinking all the time. They have to get up and go to work, get to the gym, study for a grad school exam, etc. Lol!

Like finds like. You won’t find friends taking selfies because you will just be looking at yourself. Get active in the higher level activities you want to do and you’ll find friends there. Trust me. Unless you are Jr. royalty, the child of the uber wealthy or a Silicon Valley self made millionaire there are a LOT of people who would look at what you are doing and be less than impressed. Which is actually a good thing. In your 20’s, it’s good to learn a little humility. It will help when life inevitably hands you a curve ball down the road.

Ooohmigoodness! Lol! I’m curious what crowd you are hanging with that thinks your loafers are too extra and only want to drink?? My DS is 26 and my DD is 23. We have been lucky to launch them well so they have nice things. Some gifted but most from them working hard within great careers.

My DD is a consultant at a top firm who loves fashion and dressing well. I haven’t bought any of her clothes since she was perhaps 20 but I have bought her a few bags - all premier designer. And, she happily raids my collection. So, on any given day she’s rocking her own Chanel or perhaps one of my Diors or some other amazing bag.

She’s only 5’ so she mostly wears heels and would think loafers were pretty causal. She isn’t much of a drinker, doesn’t smoke, doesn’t do drugs. Her social media is full of her doing fun things with her friends like cooking classes, working out, going to the spa and lots of travel. Seriously, these girls will go on a spa / beach / museum trip in a minute. And they save up their money to do so.

I’m a proud mom but, my point isn’t to brag. She’s not perfect and she’s still growing as a person. My point is to say that in these ways she’s not special. She is but one of the large group of young women in her various social circles who do this (college days, sorority, work, church, etc.) They are all having a lot of fun with each other and all look really gorgeous doing it.

So, again, I’d ask what pool are you swimming in? Are these college degreed women and men? Ones from solid families (economic level irrelevant)? Are they goal oriented? Do they have relatively demanding careers? People who are working hard and looking forward aren’t usually the ones to even be able to hang out drinking all the time. They have to get up and go to work, get to the gym, study for a grad school exam, etc. Lol!

Like finds like. You won’t find friends taking selfies because you will just be looking at yourself. Get active in the higher level activities you want to do and you’ll find friends there. Trust me. Unless you are Jr. royalty, the child of the uber wealthy or a Silicon Valley self made millionaire there are a LOT of people who would look at what you are doing and be less than impressed. Which is actually a good thing. In your 20’s, it’s good to learn a little humility. It will help when life inevitably hands you a curve ball down the road.

Well, most people I know are either middle class/upper middle class but also the type who expect mommy and daddy to do everything for them. I think one main issue is I need to find a way to meet new people/not be afraid to introduce myself because some times the people you already know are not the right people.

On a side note, it’s sweet that you are so proud of your babies. You raised them well!

That being said, I DONT come from a privileged family/functional family and I work very hard to get/achieve my goals. On the other hand, I know these people I’ve gone to college with who are very privileged and spoiled so maybe that’s why I expect them to be more ... interesting than just partying? But also I know people who come from lower income who think it’s “selling out” to wear nice stuff/doing well (yes, we all have college degrees. I finished in 3 years because I didn’t enjoy college much, had to commute because taking care of my grandpa who’s 90 so it was really go to school, go home and take care of him and do my work mostly) I honestly don’t think these people have any goals which is a turn off for me (if that phrase can apply to friendship?!) but I try to give people a chance... and then I feel like I’m always odd one out because I don’t do the whole party scene thing.

I’m just wondering *where* the people who like to do actual activities are lol! I’m wondering also if it’s because nyc is such a party area

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmie staton
Also, disclaimer, I do have a few good friends LOL but one is engaged so doing the whole planning a huge wedding (like 300 guests ginormous!) and the other three people I usually hungout with moved to Chicago and LA for their new jobs. Going to LA next month which will be fun! Made me realize though it’s hard to make new friends/relate to people my age and good friends are very tough to find lol

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmie staton
I don’t mind if people think I’m self centered. BUT It’s hard for me as someone who is 22, and would like to make new friends, and as I try to make new friends it’s hard when everyone else is busy binge drinking/doing drugs lol. And they think the way I dress/carry myself is pretentious or snobby bc I don’t partake in drugs/drinking and prefer to have a nice lunch or dinner and relax.

No, not absolutely “everyone” our age is doing drugs and binge drinking as you’ve (pretentiously and condescendingly) mentioned so many times. I party (and still get good grades and regularly go to the gym?? these aren’t mutually exclusive habits wtf) but I have a separate group of ‘clubbing friends’ and ‘brunch friends’. I would never judge my friends who don’t drink or try to pressure them into going out with my partygoing friends. Just put yourself out there in communities that are related to your hobbies/interests and you’ll find your people eventually.

From what I'm reading, I wouldn't want to be your friend either.
Keep in mind that you're only 22 years old (aka a baby). You're not "fully cooked" yet, as my mom would say. You have room to grow and develop a personality beyond Selfies and Loafers (coming soon on ABC). Best of luck, though. I'm certain you'll land on your feet.
Trust fabuleux to say what everyone else is thinking :biggrin::heart:

I am soooo with you on this!! I'm 25 and finding friends that arent all about partying is so difficult! I rather spend my money on the nicer things in life (hence why I'm here LOL) and most ppl just dont get it. If I am out with a group of people then I tend to stick to a few glasses of wine or champagne again now people think I'm too bougie or think highly of myself or w/e. How can you even tell that by my drink choice? I feel your pain.

No, not absolutely “everyone” our age is doing drugs and binge drinking as you’ve (pretentiously and condescendingly) mentioned so many times. I party (and still get good grades and regularly go to the gym?? these aren’t mutually exclusive habits wtf) but I have a separate group of ‘clubbing friends’ and ‘brunch friends’. I would never judge my friends who don’t drink or try to pressure them into going out with my partygoing friends. Just put yourself out there in communities that are related to your hobbies/interests and you’ll find your people eventually.

Trust fabuleux to say what everyone else is thinking :biggrin::heart:

Never said they are mutually exclusive, and I don’t find it prentious or condescending to speak truth about my own personal experience.

It’s ok, very mutual feeling there. Someone who comes on someone’s post who feels isolated to bash them is obviously someone I’d LOVE to know. I haven’t mentioned interests and such in my first post because I’m not posting on here to make friends, just wanted to scream into the void. So, no selfies and fashion aren’t my *only* interests

Last edited: