Tips on removing seller's category limit

limom

O.G.
Mar 24, 2009
Ebay's effort to limit fraud backfires for legitimate small sellers.
As I am trying to clean my closets and make rooms for new things, I am limited in what I can sell per month.
Do you have any ideas on how I can work toward lifting my limit?
Ebay is less than forthcoming and their answers are less than helpful.

Please share your tips, thanks for your insight.:smile:

I´m also selling from my personal collection, and I´ve never had any limits to what I can list (or how much). All my brands are high-end designers.

Sorry to not be of any help!

So this is a limit on a whole category, or are they just restricting certain brand names? If it's the former, I unfortunately don't have any ideas for you, but if it's the latter, you could get around it (at least until your limit is lifted) by scrambling the words of the titles in each listing. Right around the time I started doing the jeans thing on Ebay, I put a few pricey True Religions up, which they wanted to restrict for 30 days...but I got around that easily by calling the listing "True Joey Flare Jeans Religion in (wash) (size)" or something like that...their bots are not too smart LOL. (Within the listing description, though, I list the brand name accurately. It seems that only the title matters) I still do this and I have not had any problems with VeRO or any sort of selling limits since, despite the fact that very few of my buyers actually leave feedback (they're all newbies)

So this is a limit on a whole category, or are they just restricting certain brand names? If it's the former, I unfortunately don't have any ideas for you, but if it's the latter, you could get around it (at least until your limit is lifted) by scrambling the words of the titles in each listing. Right around the time I started doing the jeans thing on Ebay, I put a few pricey True Religions up, which they wanted to restrict for 30 days...but I got around that easily by calling the listing "True Joey Flare Jeans Religion in (wash) (size)" or something like that...their bots are not too smart LOL. (Within the listing description, though, I list the brand name accurately. It seems that only the title matters) I still do this and I have not had any problems with VeRO or any sort of selling limits since, despite the fact that very few of my buyers actually leave feedback (they're all newbies)

I have no $ limits, just category limits. When I called Ebay and asked what is my limit, ie how many items can I list, I never received an answer.
What I sell is from my closet, my son's closet and his old toys believe it or not
gymboree is considered high risk.lol

I never had a listing removed because of Vero, not that it matters anyway!:lol:
So frustrating!

I might do the title thing, what about brands do you click the right brand?

That recently happened to me for the first time and I've been a seller since 1998! Their error message was confusing, but basically what happened was that I was limited from posting any YSL shoes for 30 days. Despite the category limit message, I was only limited from selling YSL shoes and not other designer shoes. I got around it by calling them - they have a convenient 15 minute passcode deal - and they lifted it. My friend says it's a one time lift and when you try to post again, it will happen again. I'm not sure what you have to do to earn their trust as a frequent, e.g. YSL shoe, seller.

Same thing happened to me. I had sold some random preowned items- a burberry bag, coach dog coat, theory sweater...then when I tried to list a vintage gucci bag 2 months later I was restricted. They said something like I needed to sell 27 items (I am at 19) before my restrictions would be listed. But how the heck do I sell the item if they restrict me? It is so frustrating when you see people listing tons of fake stuff over and over again...but someone like me who sells out of my closet (like the OP!) and sells occasionally for friends gets restricted! I listed everything on bonanza...but that site gets nooooo traffic.

You have to follow the rules, it's that simple. Once you've established yourself with good feedback, DSRs, and a certain number of sales, the limit will be lifted. Trying to get around it ups your risk of getting your listings pulled and possibly your account suspended. There is a ton of fraud on Ebay where designer goods are concerned and they are trying to keep the site safe and avoid getting flack from designers for allowing unauthorized resellers.

If you can't be patient, try Bonz.

You have to follow the rules, it's that simple. Once you've established yourself with good feedback, DSRs, and a certain number of sales, the limit will be lifted. Trying to get around it ups your risk of getting your listings pulled and possibly your account suspended. There is a ton of fraud on Ebay where designer goods are concerned and they are trying to keep the site safe and avoid getting flack from designers for allowing unauthorized resellers.

I have been an Ebay member since 2004, good standing and it seems like a catch 22!
I can't help it if I sell what I have, what am I supposed to do? Sell my pots and pans to increase my sales?:lol:

I might do the title thing, what about brands do you click the right brand?

IIRC, I did click the correct brand, but maybe I did so after initially putting up the listing (like, going back and revising it, then selecting a brand name after that, but leaving it blank when I initially put it up). Not sure if that would make a difference.

Easier said than done. I cater to a lot of newbie Ebayers who don't know to leave feedback or don't log in often enough to leave fb in a timely manner, so I have only a handful of DSRs after a year and a half of selling. Also, Bonz is a ghost town :/

I have the same problem with eBAY. Want to sell a pair of IM shoes, but no way to post it due to the limit they put. Any one knows if there are other secure auction sites i can try?

^While there are other sites you could sell them on (Bonz or HardlyEverWornIt), neither of them get much traffic. You might try scrambling the name by listing them as "Isabel (Style name, size, color) Shoes Marant" and see if you can get them up that way.

Maybe this is a good place to ask- but while I haven't run into item limits yet, I do get restricted on the number of days I can put an auction up for. Example: tried to list a Coach bag on a 3 day listing and was informed that I can't- must be 5 days or longer. Yet I see Coach listings up all the time with 1 day or 3 day listings. I have "top rated seller" status and don't ever have more than 5 bags listed at a time.

^While there are other sites you could sell them on (Bonz or HardlyEverWornIt), neither of them get much traffic. You might try scrambling the name by listing them as "Isabel (Style name, size, color) Shoes Marant" and see if you can get them up that way.
It's best to either wait out the limit or appeal to have the restrictions lifted.

If they find that you do that, they consider it circumventing their limits policy and may sanction you. It's considered search manipulation and they frown on it.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/search-manipulation.html

What is being suggested by splitting the brand name is similar to the following disallowed method of circumventing restrictions.

iconNotAllowed_25x25.gif

Not allowed

• Misspelling brand names to try to circumvent the rules. For example, using a dollar sign "$" instead of the letter "S."

Maybe this is a good place to ask- but while I haven't run into item limits yet, I do get restricted on the number of days I can put an auction up for. Example: tried to list a Coach bag on a 3 day listing and was informed that I can't- must be 5 days or longer. Yet I see Coach listings up all the time with 1 day or 3 day listings. I have "top rated seller" status and don't ever have more than 5 bags listed at a time.
All sellers are required to have a minimum 5-day listing for highly faked brands. Ebay changed that policy at least 5 years ago in order to avoid sellers who'd run 1-day (and 3-day) listings and the items would end before they were reported.

If what you're saying is happening, it's probably that the sellers are running 3-day listings without brand name references and revising those listings and adding the brand names toward the end of the listing period. And it's not ebay-legal.