Tips on explaining Hermes

Oooohh.. My boyfriend/partner would just say:

BF: "Why do you have so many handbags?"

Me: "well, not so many. just a few."

BF: "a few? 2 cabinet doors? A few? are you kidding me? and those boxes? are they even essential? they're just bulk"

Me: "MY ORANGE BOXES? BULK??? OH NO MISTER! THEY ARE NOT (waving the quote unquote sign with my fingers) "BULK'.. And speaking of Bulk, why the Eff do we have a lot of TOY boxes on our closet? i mean that IS "BULK" right!?!? And if we ever go bankrupt, those "BULK" that you call is what can save us from starvation! i can resell them for a really good price. Can you say that about your little playthings?

BF: (scratches head, shaking head) yeah yeah. i didn't say anything...

--------end of conversation-----

hahaha:lol::lol::lol:

P.S., this really happened. and he never questioned me again... (well, after i gifted him with an H wallet and H/LV/Gucci belts every anniversary hahaha) just, everytime i go out shopping for a new bag, he just shakes his head and mumbles incoherent thoughts.

The economic argument works well for me. I only have three H bags but two are older and my husband has been impressed by their durability and their resale value. He loves cars and gets that analogy. Now he's all for it. My friend who was shopping with us (and would never previously considered paying this much) is almost considering buying one herself.

BF: "a few? 2 cabinet doors? A few? are you kidding me? and those boxes? are they even essential? they're just bulk"

Me: "MY ORANGE BOXES? BULK??? OH NO MISTER! THEY ARE NOT (waving the quote unquote sign with my fingers) "BULK'.. And speaking of Bulk, why the Eff do we have a lot of TOY boxes on our closet? i mean that IS "BULK" right!?!? And if we ever go bankrupt, those "BULK" that you call is what can save us from starvation! i can resell them for a really good price. Can you say that about your little playthings?

P.S., this really happened. and he never questioned me again... (well, after i gifted him with an H wallet and H/LV/Gucci belts every anniversary hahaha) just, everytime i go out shopping for a new bag, he just shakes his head and mumbles incoherent thoughts.

:biggrin:
I've used that sentence several times with my ex BF: it works, whatever he may mumble...

When I was dating my 2nd husband, I let him know that I expected to buy a few nice clothes with my own money, and that it WAS my own money (first husband thought even a BDay check from my parents should be spent on something HE could enjoy, too!). 2nd got this and it worked for us. I do remember after we had been married for a few months, he said, "Let me be sure I have this straight; what's yours is yours and what's mine is yours." I said, "Oh, you clever man! You have it exactly correct!"

My Hermes came after I lost this dear man to cancer. He had bought me an Hermes scarf on a trip to Paris we took when he was ill. I can promise you he would NEVER have understood paying that much for a handbag and my own money could never have afforded one. I would not have Hermes bags today if he were still living - we'd have used that money for travel. I'd rather have him back for just one day than a roomful of croc Hermes bags...

Reactions: honhon and PJW5813
"Let me be sure I have this straight; what's yours is yours and what's mine is yours." I said, "Oh, you clever man! You have it exactly correct!"

My Hermes came after I lost this dear man to cancer. He had bought me an Hermes scarf on a trip to Paris we took when he was ill. I can promise you he would NEVER have understood paying that much for a handbag and my own money could never have afforded one. I would not have Hermes bags today if he were still living - we'd have used that money for travel. I'd rather have him back for just one day than a roomful of croc Hermes bags...

India, what wonderful recollections. You're so right; it's about the value we place on our people, after all, and about a dose of simple goodwill. Him for you, you for him.

OP: great outcome. :smile:

When I was dating my 2nd husband, I let him know that I expected to buy a few nice clothes with my own money, and that it WAS my own money (first husband thought even a BDay check from my parents should be spent on something HE could enjoy, too!). 2nd got this and it worked for us. I do remember after we had been married for a few months, he said, "Let me be sure I have this straight; what's yours is yours and what's mine is yours." I said, "Oh, you clever man! You have it exactly correct!"

OMG, these conversations have taken place in my house, too! I am not alone! :biggrin:

He sounds like a wonderful man and I am happy you had a life with him. So many never know that type of love. And I agree, love like this is worth more than any material item, including Hermes! Hugs to you!

:smile: Of course.
What a touching story, thank you very much for sharing this, India.

Thank you for sharing this touching story with us India. I feel for you. Now that I'm married I can understand what the value of the companionship of one you love means. It is impossible to put a price tag on it.

I'm a freelancer and don't have constant income, but when I got some in I saved specifically to get a Kelly. My husband is Asian and doesn't understand the concept of me having 'my own money for shopping' - its an approach too individualistic for him - he grew up in rural Korea! But then I got a togo Kelly that was too slouchy and I sold it, making a profit. After this he got a lot more relaxed about Hermès.

He still doesn't get it completely but so long as silence is acceptance I'm alright with it :smile:
His Hermes naivete still cracks me up though:
"Can't you just call the Paris store and ask them if they have any in the model you want?" [before our Paris trip]
"Don't Hermes have an online store? Can't you order one [a kelly] and get it sent in the mail?"
:graucho:

When I did get my bag, what he said was "You know, when I met you, you were living in this really nasty apartment in what can only be called the butt of Seoul. So I thought you were a saving-money type of person! Turns out I was wrong!"

:coolio:

Reactions: Meta
and no moderator has commented how far off topic this thread quickly became
- or even questioned how appropriate the 'agony aunts' nature of it was for this forum!