Tips on explaining Hermes

Oh my dear, I have no plans on justifying it. More like explaining. I will say it's a psuedo hobby if he asks, which I doubt. He already knows I like/own nice things. He just doesnt know the exact price tag.:biggrin: Nor do I see the need to go to that detail...ever!

I had the pleasure of dating quite a few gents and was even married before. I dont believe any judged me. Besides how can you judge someone so lovable. :P

It'll be fine. I am just going to enjoy the ride and see what happens.

If he has a problem with Hermes, then he is definitely not the chap for me. If he thinks I need to justify everything, lol, well lets just say its on to the next fellow.:smile:

Yes!!!!!!! I love your attitude!!!:smile:

This is actually a very very accurate statement of things, OP.

Many, many, many times i've been asked what my husband does for a living for me to be able to afford such a nice home, car, watch, whatever ...... because they honestly don't believe a woman can a) earn sensible money and b) afford to buy that luxury item herself (I wasn't married).

In this day and age this mindest still staggers me but it's still very much out there - and i'm not talking about the generations of age 80 and over, they can be excused because their world was poles apart from today, but people under 50.
I get the worst remarks from men too, they're the worst for thinking i can't possibly earn enough for said item.
I also think the way you (i) look has an effect, because i am a petite blonde that is automatically perceived as needing to be looked after etc ........

Phew.
Shall we get on now :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Being a petite blond too, I encounter this sentiment too often as well! But to answer our OP's question: He has been with you for sometime and has seen the bags you carry and witnessed your good taste in all things H and beyond, no? Your delightful SO knows you well enough and loves you enough to ask you to move in with him so I have a feeling he will not be too put off or shocked by your fondness for Hermes. Just explain it as another love that came before him, but he will always be your favorite!:smile:

This is actually a very very accurate statement of things, OP.

Many, many, many times i've been asked what my husband does for a living for me to be able to afford such a nice home, car, watch, whatever ...... because they honestly don't believe a woman can a) earn sensible money and b) afford to buy that luxury item herself (I wasn't married).

In this day and age this mindest still staggers me but it's still very much out there - and i'm not talking about the generations of age 80 and over, they can be excused because their world was poles apart from today, but people under 50.
I get the worst remarks from men too, they're the worst for thinking i can't possibly earn enough for said item.
I also think the way you (i) look has an effect, because i am a petite blonde that is automatically perceived as needing to be looked after etc ........

Phew.
Shall we get on now :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Millicat, I think we are kindred spirits. :drinkup: I find it depressing that fellow modern women can't possibly imagine that their are other women doing it on their own. The comments I get from women are 10x worse than from men!!

I agree martini is very lucky but as are the countless others on this forum who have supportive (and I dont mean financially) SOs.

But I dont think that youth, beauty, wealth, or education level has anything to do with that respect. Its called love. Pure, unadulterated, and unconditional.

Yes most run of the mill bar crawlers would fall off their stool at some of the prices. But in the end of the day, you know what they say: happy wife = happy life.

Thanks Hermes_lemming :smooch: I agree 1000% that none of the above apply and it definitely would never occur to me to dumb down or minimize myself in order to get a man.
The point is that I would never settle for less than a man who respects me, my independence and my strength as a woman.
A decent man CANNOT have any lingering issues about his manhood or some ridiculous idea of what his role in a strong independent womans life would/should be.

As Millicat puts it...Thats why we have cats :biggrin:...and oh yes!!...Hermes!!.

Its not about toys, money, youth, beauty, degrees or anything, its ultimately about respect...on both sides.

Last edited:
A decent man CANNOT have any lingering issues about his manhood or some ridiculous idea of what his role in a strong independent womans life would/should be.

A man's manhood is important...lest we forget that is an important part of what makes a man, a man. That manhood just needs to be deployed, or used in errrmm... meaningful ways. :graucho: :biggrin:

A man's manhood is important...lest we forget that is an important part of what makes a man, a man. That manhood just needs to be deployed, or used in errrmm... meaningful ways. :graucho: :biggrin:

:biggrin::ghi5:..Oh yes! His manhood is super important but not at the expense of your own womanhood.

I think someone's put something in the water here, everywhere i look (read) there's manhoods being bandied around ;)
I think we need to change the tap on the water in the Bon Temps Cafe :P

:lolots: I'm glad I checked back in on this thread. You ladies are too funny!

HL, I'm sure your fella knows what he's in for....

As another in the club of independent women who doesn't need a man to take care of her, I appreciate my DH for accepting this fact....for the most part!

Oooh, sidetracking here, but she does
A mans instinct is to look after his woman and if she doesn't need it he'll feel superfluous - right across the board here.
The plight of a/the single/successful woman is a difficult one and that's where explaining and justifying comes in sometimes.

I agree Millicat... and I have certainly met that man. Promptly kicked him to the curb.... and shopped for an Upgrade :tup: He's an "adder" and supports the addiction.

Very nice thread!
Hermes_lemming, I totally understand your worry, I would be 200% in the same situation if I had to start another relationship, but after a few minutes I thought...well, we are the first judges of ourselves. I judge my spending habits and when I feel fine with them (for example I decided to have a very small family of bags, I sold the exceeding ones even if sometimes I miss a couple of them. I tend to spend more on my favourite sports and short trips, because they make me feel better) nobody who loves me should make me feel "wrong".
I prefer to have quality instead of quantity, and I think that's a smart choice, in the long run.
:greengrin: ....Impressive enough?

Very nice thread!
Hermes_lemming, I totally understand your worry, I would be 200% in the same situation if I had to start another relationship, but after a few minutes I thought...well, we are the first judges of ourselves. I judge my spending habits and when I feel fine with them (for example I decided to have a very small family of bags, I sold the exceeding ones even if sometimes I miss a couple of them. I tend to spend more on my favourite sports and short trips, because they make me feel better) nobody who loves me should make me feel "wrong".
I prefer to have quality instead of quantity, and I think that's a smart choice, in the long run.
:greengrin: ....Impressive enough?

I agree with you 100% sister!