Tips on 18k gold pave pendant under $1k?

theprettymiss

Apr 18, 2020
Hi ladies! Ive been gifted $1k toward purchasing my 30th bday necklace (first real piece) and Im having trouble finding one that looks worth the money, lol.

I ordered DY 18k gold cable cross pendant, but I am underwhelmed at how teeny it is.

Ive started looking into Roberto Coin..Blue Nile..and even Tiffany but its so hard to tell the sizing.

I really dont want to buy 14k but it seems like thatd be the only way for me to get a substantial pave pendant.

Please Help!

Hi ladies! Ive been gifted $1k toward purchasing my 30th bday necklace (first real piece) and Im having trouble finding one that looks worth the money, lol.

I ordered DY 18k gold cable cross pendant, but I am underwhelmed at how teeny it is.

Ive started looking into Roberto Coin..Blue Nile..and even Tiffany but its so hard to tell the sizing.

I really dont want to buy 14k but it seems like thatd be the only way for me to get a substantial pave pendant.

Please Help!

Have you tried Etsy? There are lots of talented artisans on there who work with a variety of precious metals in a myriad of customizable styles. A bunch also have separate websites that were launched after they became successful on Etsy! It’s a good place to start, even if it’s just for inspo. #ShopSmall :smile:

Omi Woods, Tracy Hutt, Metal Pressions, and Zoe Lev all have stunning pieces.

If you want more bang for your buck, don't buy from a luxury brand. You're better off going to a private/local jeweler for 18k. Dept stores are fine for 14k. Just wait for a really good sale, at least 60-70% off. You should also consider if you would rather have natural or lab diamonds. If you or someone you know has a Costco membership, Costco sells some very nice pieces for a fraction of what they would sell for at a jeweler.

If you value better diamond quality, I would buy online from James Allen. They have individual 360 videos for every diamond. You can opt to have James Allen set it, or bring it to a jeweler to set. From my experience, bringing stones to the jeweler for a custom piece can end up being the most economical.

Personally, I wouldnt opt for 18k gold for a dainty necklace. 18k is softer than 14k, so more prone to breaking. Chains are more likely to snap when tugged. Prongs are more likely to break, so loose/missing stones. Depending on the structure itself, accidentally stepping on the piece can cause dents/major damage. I've stepped on my 18k hoops. Bent it way out of place, but thankfully it didn't break. I was able to get the shape back with just my fingers -again 18k is soft.

My opinion, use 14k for everyday, and save the 18k for more intricate pieces, or pieces where yellow gold will really make the stone shine, like yellow diamond or golden south sea pearls.

Your local jeweller is your best bet. You should be able to find a diamond pendant in 18k gold for under £1k, possibly much less if you are open to buying a preowned piece. My local jeweller has several new diamond pendants in this price range in 18k white gold, all of which are fairly substantial to look at and use good quality diamond pave. Don’t be afraid to negotiate either - depending on my jeweller’s mood I have managed to get up to 30% off. So even if a piece is a little more you may still be able to get it within your budget with a little haggling.

If you are set on designer you won’t likely get much in that price range unless you look on the preowned/estate market.

Fashionphile has some lovely pieces that have been preloved in your budget.

Tiffany:

Fashionphile has some lovely pieces that have been preloved in your budget.

Tiffany:

Thanks I was JUST looking at that Tiffany gold pendant! Hmmmmm ..now im considering it lol

It looked like it just sold. If you need help finding another one let me know. They pop up now and then on the secondary market.
That was ME :smile:

The price is great so Im gonna see how it looks in person. Hopefully its not too teeny, but the carat weight seems decent so hopefully itll sparkle.

Im returning my rinky dink gold DY pendant tomorrow LOL