Travel tips for thailand?

May 12, 2008
i'm considering doing a yoga teacher training in chaing mai, thailand. just wondering if anyone's been to thailand before- what to expect, tips, customs, is it safe? i'm guessing i'll get sick from the water, huh? kind of inevitable, right? i mean as much as you avoid drinking the water, i'm thinking about veggies being washed in it, etc... :sick: what else do i need to know?

I never got sick from the water, but I might have only been drinking bottled water (in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Bangkok, Phuket, the islands). If you want to be extra careful, don't drink anything with ice (that includes the fruit drinks).

Thailand is quite safe. Chiang Mai is definitely safer than Bangkok. Bangkok feels a bit like a crazy big city. Chiang Mai is friendly and more relaxed (and the weather is cooler, which is nice in the hot season). It is also cheaper. Thailand really values customer service. Tipping is more common in resorts and places with a large international clientele. 10% at a restaurant is fine (I think locals might even tip less.) Tipping is not required (but in upscale restaurants they may include a 10% tip). Round up in taxis. I've found especially in Bangkok (especially to/from the airport), taxi drivers will insist on a tip ... it is really up to you.

Most people in Thailand are polite and courteous.

I think you will enjoy it! Have fun!

Don't touch anyone on the head, don't put your feet up and I think I remember that it is also considered rude to point but I'm not sure on the last one. Make sure your feet never point toward anyone (tuck your feet when you sit) and don't use your feet to touch things or point to things.

I had a great time when I went Bangkok. The people are nice, the food was great, the spas were awesome! Enjoy. I felt safe there. There are lots of Americans and most people speak English. Good Luck.

Thailand is safe for the most part. You should definitely get all of your shots beforehand because you may not be used to the food/water there. Be careful for people who try to hustle you with shopping and cabs and etc.

Chiang Mai is beautiful! It's different and it's cooler than BKK. Have fun!