Tips for buying pants online?

e_nmn_m

Jan 4, 2006
I'm curvy and and have 1 pair of pants in my closet that was purchased off the rack. The rest were mostly bought at Nordies, where I stood helplessly in the dressing room while the SA says, "That can be fixed, I'll get our tailor."

But there are SO MANY deals right now at various online places (esp Ebay, where they don't take returns, or places with high shipping costs). So, does anyone have any tips for buying online? How important is the back rise measurement? How do I know if a pair of pants can indeed be tailored?

Thanks in advance...

Aug 29, 2008
Try to buy from a site that gives the model's measurements.
Contact CS and ask for their suggestions.
Measure your own pants to get an idea.
Look at the seams and think about whether there is a simple alteration.
The back rise affects whether you get plumber's crack and also how wide around the waist needs to be.

randr21

in the untamed rabbit hole
O.G.
May 25, 2006
New York City
measure a pair that u currently own and love, e.g rise, waist, etc. then note the cut, style...and then compare with those on ebay or online websites. sites like shopbop and revolve have free retuen shipping so that makes it easier.

PurseAddict79

PerpetuallyPenniless
O.G.
Sep 11, 2008
The Mall
All excellent suggestions.

You could also go to a store and find pairs that fit you properly, remember the brand name and type, and then search for them online.

mielikki55

Nov 21, 2006
Pants are a tricky thing to buy online unless you are familiar with the brand. ITA with PurseAddict79 - try different brands at a department store, remember the ones you like and purchase online. If you find a good SA, they may be able to price match an e-tailer (shopbop or revolveclothing).

e_nmn_m

Jan 4, 2006
Thanks for your replies. If I could get to a department store to try on the brands I am looking at, I would. Trouble is, they're generally only sold in major cities and I live no where near one.

Totally get the back rise measurement, I nearly always have an extra 3 inches around the back waist. I guess what I'm asking is, what measurements should I request from the seller, and what do I need to look for in terms of alteration possibilities?

Thanks much...

mielikki55

Nov 21, 2006
I would also check to see if the pants have stretch to them. Materials with stretch fit more forgivingly than materials without stretch. Ideally, you should be looking at pants that require minimal alterations: taking in of the waist and hemming of the pant legs. Otherwise, you're basically asking to the tailor to make new pants. Go on various sites to see if there are reviews of different brands. Certain brands have slimmer cuts so you may be looking at different sizes for different designers.