Tips/Advice for customs, VAT, etc.

Oh yes global blue continues to get more and more shady. I would continue to complain and ask for them to prove what step you didn’t complete. Also be aware the best way to get the refund used to be CC however now they refuse to refund in local currency and instead refund to where you are from and by doing so they take another 15-20% conversion fee! So the 10-12% you were getting back now becomes like 8% So fricken shady!
Total scam. I feel like they just stole a large sum of money from me.

That’s a good idea. I know on one of them, I had to see the custom’s agent who them scanned it. I even have a screen shot in the app with them saying I completed all the steps yet they still reversed it now saying I did not and that it’s past the time. Well, all my emails fell on deaf ears for the past several months. Even if you have a photo of the Pablo scan, if they don’t refund your money, there’s no one that you can even complain to! I just messaged my sales associates to see if they have any further contact info.
Just an idea but if they charged you again by credit card why don’t you dispute the charge on your CC. Then they will have to respond to you with evidence

Just an idea but if they charged you again by credit card why don’t you dispute the charge on your CC. Then they will have to respond to you with evidence
I tried that already and they said since it’s a reversal that they can’t do anything about it despite my documentation. Since they are not a merchant but provide a service and it’s a net zero balance, they cannot reverse it.

Planet Payment-

Can anyone share their experience of how long it took Planet Payment to register the tax refund form in their system? I mailed my VAT refund from Zurich's airport to the office in Greece on May 19. I've been checking the website and it still says "We are waiting to receive your stamped Tax Free form."

I will be flying from the US to Paris and plan to make several purchases. I will then take a train to London (and likely make additional purchases), and then fly home to the USA from there. When entering London customs, do I pay tax/duty on the purchases I made in Paris? If so, any idea how much that is?

I didn't think I had to pay when entering the UK, but then I saw a post where a shopper was charged thousands when she went through London customs, so now I'm nervous.

Thank you so much. I couldn’t find this information anywhere!

UK is not part of the EU. You will not get your VAT back. You will get VAT for your qualifying purchases in Paris. Make sure you get it validated at your last port at your last EU country which is Paris in your case.

I live in the UK and will be visiting a country in the EU and am planning on buying a handbag costing a few thousand £. Then I want to get the tax refunded, so the bag will be in its original packaging and carried onto the plane. When I land in the UK, I presume I have to declare it at customs right? I can't find any information (that I understand) on the government website, all I understand is that I will have to pay 20% of the total cost of the bag, plus 2% customs fees. Even after the tax refund, this will still be a lot more than purchasing it in the UK. The last time I travelled, I didn't get a tax refund at the country and wore all the items for the duration of my trip, so I didn't even realise I may have needed to declare the items upon arrival... Nobody flagged me down. In fact, 50% of the time, there's no security at the 'goods to declare' part of customs when exiting the airport.

Am I missing something obvious? If it's so expensive to pay tax and customs, why do people even bother buying 'tax free' items in Europe? For those of you living in the UK, have you had any experience with this? What should I do?

I’m not sure if you are asking if you should intentionally not declare but that kind of conversation doesn’t tend to fly well around here, to be honest.

For some people, Europe is cheaper. If it is cheaper in the UK, I recommend buying it there and just enjoying your holiday. If it is cheaper in the UK but unavailable, well then I would view the duty etc as a “opportunity tax”. I paid it for the opportunity to get the item I really wanted and love.

Also keep in mind that border officers are receiving more sophisticated methods of tracking purchases. Knowing your obligations with respect to duty is expected. Should you find yourself the subject of an investigation, it could potentially really impact future travel among other things. To me, it would never be worth it.

Duty free is a misnomer. The idea is you are not charged EU VAT if you reside outside of the EU. But, you are legally required to pay the customs and tax of your country of origin. If it’s cheaper in the UK, buy it there. Some people love to shop when they travel abroad, and others do not live where luxury shopping is available.

Reactions: lulilu
I’m not sure if you are asking if you should intentionally not declare but that kind of conversation doesn’t tend to fly well around here, to be honest.

For some people, Europe is cheaper. If it is cheaper in the UK, I recommend buying it there and just enjoying your holiday. If it is cheaper in the UK but unavailable, well then I would view the duty etc as a “opportunity tax”. I paid it for the opportunity to get the item I really wanted and love.

Also keep in mind that border officers are receiving more sophisticated methods of tracking purchases. Knowing your obligations with respect to duty is expected. Should you find yourself the subject of an investigation, it could potentially really impact future travel among other things. To me, it would never be worth it.
I see, thank you! Of course, if I know I have to declare it I will. It’s not worth the hassle. I just want to hear from someone in the U.K. and hear what they went though.

The problem is, if I have something to declare but there are no officers at customs, who do I go to? What do I do then?

Duty free is a misnomer. The idea is you are not charged EU VAT if you reside outside of the EU. But, you are legally required to pay the customs and tax of your country of origin. If it’s cheaper in the UK, buy it there. Some people love to shop when they travel abroad, and others do not live where luxury shopping is available.
It’s only slightly cheaper than in the U.K… it will be almost £200 more expensive after tax refund, but then paying customs and tax upon entering the U.K.

Last edited:
From the Heathrow website:

On 1 January 2021, the UK left the European Union. Passengers continue to be able to use Heathrow to travel from the UK to the EU. There has been some changes at customs and the process of declaring goods.

The blue channel (previously used for arrivals from EEA countries) has closed. All passengers arriving from the EU are required to make a customs declaration by selecting the green channel (nothing to declare) or the red channel (goods to declare).

For more information on the customs changes, view Government advice.

From the UK Customs website:

5. Other goods including gifts and souvenirs
Most travellers can bring other goods into the UK worth up to £390 (e.g. perfume and electrical goods) without paying duty and/or tax in the UK.

However, passengers travelling by private plane or boat for pleasure purposes are only entitled to an allowance of £270 worth of goods.

If you bring in goods over your allowance, you must pay UK taxes on all of the goods in that category, not just those above the allowance.

You cannot share your personal allowances with other passengers.

If you have any goods over these limits, you can pay any tax and duty due from 72 hours in advance of arrival using the HMRC Online Service for Passengers.

If you have made a declaration at duty free goods and have nothing further to declare, you can use the Green Channel when going through customs. You should retain the reference number and your email receipt for your declaration as Border Force officers may ask to check this email.

From the Heathrow website:

On 1 January 2021, the UK left the European Union. Passengers continue to be able to use Heathrow to travel from the UK to the EU. There has been some changes at customs and the process of declaring goods.

The blue channel (previously used for arrivals from EEA countries) has closed. All passengers arriving from the EU are required to make a customs declaration by selecting the green channel (nothing to declare) or the red channel (goods to declare).

For more information on the customs changes, view Government advice.

From the UK Customs website:

5. Other goods including gifts and souvenirs
Most travellers can bring other goods into the UK worth up to £390 (e.g. perfume and electrical goods) without paying duty and/or tax in the UK.

However, passengers travelling by private plane or boat for pleasure purposes are only entitled to an allowance of £270 worth of goods.

If you bring in goods over your allowance, you must pay UK taxes on all of the goods in that category, not just those above the allowance.

You cannot share your personal allowances with other passengers.

If you have any goods over these limits, you can pay any tax and duty due from 72 hours in advance of arrival using the HMRC Online Service for Passengers.

If you have made a declaration at duty free goods and have nothing further to declare, you can use the Green Channel when going through customs. You should retain the reference number and your email receipt for your declaration as Border Force officers may ask to check this email.
Thank you. So if the item is 4000 EUR, let’s say 800 of that is tax from the EU country where I buy the item, will the customs and U.K. tax be a percentage of the original 4000EUR item, or the 3200 EUR? So do I have to pay tax and custom at the airport on the pre or post tax price of the bag?

Thank you. So if the item is 4000 EUR, let’s say 800 of that is tax from the EU country where I buy the item, will the customs and U.K. tax be a percentage of the original 4000EUR item, or the 3200 EUR? So do I have to pay tax and custom at the airport on the pre or post tax price of the bag?

Follow the prompts on this form - it'll walk you through checking on how much you would have to pay. Good luck!

Reactions: scarvesandhandbags