Travel Timeshares

bnjj

Jovi Junkie
O.G.
Apr 20, 2007
I am at the very early stages of thinking about buying a timeshare.

Does anyone have any recommendations of reputable timeshare companies? Any areas you'd recommend that have high trading power?

Any other information anyone may have to share from their own experience with timeshares would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think you should really think about it. My parents have 2 and to tell the truth they lie. They say they do repairs and will update but they never do. So really they are not that great a deal look at ebay everybody selling their week.My parents like it because they like to go to the same place same hotel every year in Acapulco.

Hi T! I don't know too much about timeshares but have heard over the years it's cheaper to purchase via the resale market instead of buying directly from a developer. Saves you lots of money for the same property/weeks.

I just did a quick Google search and I'm sure you'll do a deeper dive into the research but here's a site that looked like it had decent information on resales (this one is for Hawaii, just as an example): http://timeshareresaleshawaii.com/Default.aspx

Good luck!

My parents have one - it's in Lincoln, NH, but they've never gone there. They always exchange through the Interval International system. It's nice because not only do they have the week, but they've gotten bonus weeks for depositing their week into the Interval system by a certain date, as well as have access to getaways (deeply discounted weeks) at any point in time. I've used it when they couldn't the last couple years and it was great.

I have considered them, just because I have stayed with friends who have had good experiences. I think it works best if there is one resort that you want to go to regularly and can use your week and also the bonus time there. Friends seem to have less success with exchanging, but again, it's second-hand. There are probably some good deals out there, though I'd really research the management and all the costs involved.

I can only say that my husband and I own a timeshare in St. Maarten through RCI, and they have been absolutely wonderful to us. They are always upgrading the property and furnishings and landscaping, and we consider our annual maintenance fee very minimal for what we get. We can also trade off for a cruise or another unit anywhere in the world if we want to, and for what we initially paid, we are far more ahead than paying every year for a vacation or a cruise outright. A few years ago, we splurged and spend over $6,000 on a 10-day cruise and our time share basically cost us just a little over twice that for 40 years of ownership. We're glad we did it. You can Google RCI and learn more, if you want to.

Hi K!!

Thanks for the input, all. I have looked into RCI.

I'm at the VERY early stages of thinking about this so really don't know if this is for me or not.

My parents have the timeshares for the Hilton Grand Vacations. We had to pay the maintenance fees which is usually very high. I'm not too familiar with them though, but it seems my parents are doing just fine, no problems yet.

We did run out of points after June so we're unable to reserve anymore rooms until next year. And about RCI, the timeshare we have (HGV), its points also applied to RCI condos in Las Vegas. We've stayed there a few times and it was pretty enjoyable!

But still, I would recommend you look up info on it before purchasing just to be safe! Good luck.

Hi T! I don't know too much about timeshares but have heard over the years it's cheaper to purchase via the resale market instead of buying directly from a developer. Saves you lots of money for the same property/weeks.

I just did a quick Google search and I'm sure you'll do a deeper dive into the research but here's a site that looked like it had decent information on resales (this one is for Hawaii, just as an example): http://timeshareresaleshawaii.com/Default.aspx

Good luck!
You could probably get one free by agreeing to take over the yearly maintence. I'd run an ad on Craig list, etc. I have a friend that has one & loves it but many people buy these without really thinking about it like you are.

Can anyone share the perks of having a timeshare? Was it alot cheaper going on vacation (i.e airline ticket prices/hotels, etc ) compared to not having membership?

Last edited: