Time for a BAN... how? Is it possible?

poppypink21

Oct 14, 2010
Hi everyone!!! I know that we looovveee Coach so much... I would just like to know how you manage to put yourself in a BAN.... if its possible? When do you say "enough is enough"... for the meantime... :thinking:

Everytime I go to the FP store or the outlet, I feel that I am in HEAVEN.... It just really makes me happy being there.... Most of the time... I could not leave the store without buying anything... Crazy right? Sometimes it takes me hours looking around trying to find something to buy.... LOL

Would love to hear from you.... Really interested to learn from all of you.... :smile:

Ditto the above-- no outlets, no TPF, no browsing through Coach or the handbag sections of stores like Macys, no eBay, no Bonaza.

On the other hand, it did help me to go to the store when I had an email of a bag I thought I would absolutely love. I went and tried it on, and hated how it looked on me.

i have shopaholic tendancies and when i get on to the latest obsession i just don't stop. current trend for me being coach!

my last craze of buying was mac makeup and the CCO. i am so thankful to have the coach store to occupy me when i'm at the outlet mall. i have enough makeup for me and another family of women for the rest of my life.

as stated by other posters here, for me the only way to stop buying is to stop looking. there will always be a great deal that you just can't pass by or you will have missed it. if you don't look then you don't know what you missed!

anyway, glad i'm not on a ban...yet! :smile:

I think MAC and Coach are common and similar obsessions. I am the same way with makeup and actually gave away a ton of it recently. I only buy/wear MAC exclusively and know more about the products than the SAs (much like we know more about Coach than the SAs). I finally have reached a point where I don't think I have enough time left on this earth (I'm in my 40s) to use all the makeup I have - how sad is that? That was a pretty easy addiction to give up. I still buy it, but more staples - when I run out of foundation, concealer, mascara etc. I have to get it, but I find there are only so many colors out there, and everything now is a variation of something I already have - I guess the same could be true of bags.

But for some reason bags are tougher. And I found putting myself on a ban only made the temptation stronger - that "forbidden" thing just doesn't work for me, it only makes the desire stronger. But for me I have reached a point where my collection feels complete and I know I will add a bag here or a bag there, but I don't have a burning desire to buy, buy, buy. And thankfully I'm not into having to have the latest "it" bag. I've never like Sophia or the Madison shoulder bag, and as a matter of fact, have spent more on another brand over the past 6 months than Coach.

I think how to stop greatly depends on where your collection is at, where your finances are at, and what your personality type is. I know I can't use the word "ban" but I've seen it work fine for other people.

Good luck figuring it out! I wish I could give you more solid advice - hopefully others can do just that.

i have shopaholic tendancies and when i get on to the latest obsession i just don't stop. current trend for me being coach!

my last craze of buying was mac makeup and the CCO. i am so thankful to have the coach store to occupy me when i'm at the outlet mall. i have enough makeup for me and another family of women for the rest of my life.

as stated by other posters here, for me the only way to stop buying is to stop looking. there will always be a great deal that you just can't pass by or you will have missed it. if you don't look then you don't know what you missed!

anyway, glad i'm not on a ban...yet! :smile:

i just put myself on ban.

i just have to stay out of macy's, thats where i tend to fall short 'cause you're so close! they're right there and you could own it in like a minute!

exactly why i'm gonna change from paying my macys charge at the coach counter and do it online instead, so i have no reason to go in.

i tend to just prowl the website and not purchase anything.

It literally takes a higher power for me to go on a ban. This last spring I went on a ban of everything coach for Lent. I gave up shopping for coach, looking at this forum, ebay, and the coach website for 40 days. Yes, I survived...I just bought a bag the day before and the day after Lent. lol

I turn my obsession to book reading. After I started going to our local library and buying books that I like, I lose interest in buying bags. I still have a lot of bags. Some I gave away and sold. I still love coach but I haven't bought any for a long time. I'm actually enjoying using the bags that I bought. To really ban yourself in buying bags, stop checking handbags section in tpf, check other subforum I did.

The only time I'm technically "on ban" is if I'm technically "broke" :P
I'm the kind of person who, if I have extra money, go directly to Coach and buy something. I do it every time. I may not even be coveting something at that moment, but when I've got the money, suddenly there's a bag that I can't live without. It's a real sickness, and I can admit it. I'm not quite ready for an intervention yet, though....

<----currently on "ban".
Which means...I can only buy a bag or acc when I save up for it out my "allowance". It's my Hubby's way of putting me on a budget.
I get $1k a month, and after bills, I am usually able to save up about $100-$200 a month. So I have to save up for them now.
Also, realizing how many bags I have, and how ridiculous my collection has gotten, it is making me be a lot more picky. I guess you can say I have hit rock bottom, and am slowly trying to recover.
I am also hoping my attachment to certain bags will soon cease, so that I can part with them to better homes. Maybe a couple more months... :love:
I am no longer buying FP after I use this PCE. I am going to outlet shop for the most part. If I don't get a certain bag, it's okay...I already have a ton of awesome ones anyways.
I guess you could say I am starting to appreciate what I have instead of "loving the hunt."
TPF does not help bans...and as long as I don't have to abstain fully from Coach, I will be hanging around....maybe not as much as I used to, but I'll be around. LOL!
Yes, it is a sickness...I am just glad it isn't so crazy anymore.

The only time I'm technically "on ban" is if I'm technically "broke" :P
I'm the kind of person who, if I have extra money, go directly to Coach and buy something. I do it every time. I may not even be coveting something at that moment, but when I've got the money, suddenly there's a bag that I can't live without. It's a real sickness, and I can admit it. I'm not quite ready for an intervention yet, though....
OH man i am so with you on this one! I get a big chunk of my income through tips, and when i have a really good week i save save save in a separate envelope and as soon as there is enough in there to buy something- i head straight to coach. Which is how i ended up with 4 bags in 3 weeks (since its been my busy season at work) and now im dead broke so for sure on a ban until maybe after the first of the year. and of course now i have 2 bags (1 MFF and 1 older bag) that im losing sleep thinking about! ay ay ayyy this is a vicious cycle!
So how do i stick to my ban? technically i dont. i just choose between food, or a new bag. usually the bag takes precedence!!!:P